“English charm and fabulous service”
Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #9 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Dallas, Texas
“English charm and fabulous service”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Loved staying here. Very English and lots of charm. Fabulous service, they know your name right away and have wonderful and quick delivery services. The bar is charming and inviting. Afternoon tea is booked everyday, so make sure you plan ahead. Our room was perfect, clean and beds were extremely comfortable. Tube station right down the street. Shopping so easy to get to. And lots of tourist attractions just a few blocks away. The hotel even booked a last minute tour for me outside the city. I have to say this one of my favorite hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear natalie710121416,

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay at The Goring.

I am thrilled to hear that we are now one of your favourite hotels. It is always wonderful to hear that a guest has been able to make the most of their stay with us by enjoying so many of our facilities including the Garden Bar and Lounge and the extensive knowledge of our Concierge team.

Many thanks for taking the time to write and we look forward hopefully to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

With warmest regards,

Graham Copeman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family and I were celebrating a most special occasion and we chose The Goring and we had the most splendid days here. Atmosphere was lovely. Excellent service and food. The room was very comfortable with a lovely bathroom and the best bed ever. It was excellent value for money and I can't imagine another hotel being as good as this. Thank you for making our special day more than enjoyable!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela G
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Angela G,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at The Goring.

It was our pleasure to welcome you and your family for your special occasion. I am so pleased to hear that you had a ‘most splendid’ time here and enjoyed every element from the atmosphere and service to the food and your bedroom. Indeed you will be hard pushed to find a bed more comfortable than the beds here at The Goring – I haven’t found one yet!

On behalf of all the team here I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another visit before too long.

With warmest regards,

Redbourn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I booked this celebration tea for my sister after doing some research into Afternoon teas in London. I was a bit nervous as this hotel is also famous for the Middletons staying the night before the royal wedding. We were made so welcome, doors open on arrival, shown to our table and a choice of at least 6 teas. You could have the champagne tea with a glass of bolly and strawberries. Start with an Amusee Bouche , followed by finger sandwiches, scones and cream and jam and a selection of fancy cakes. Asked if we would like a top up of any of the food. We then were served with a mini trifle. Best of all when I booked a couple of months ago I mentioned it was a birthday treat. To my amazement out came a little cake with a candle, very discreet. There was no rush like others place with sittings. This has to be the best there is. So thank you Goring and your fabulous staff .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tricia115
Dear Tricia115,

Thank you for you excellent review of your celebratory Afternoon Tea at The Goring.

I am thrilled to hear that you so enjoyed all the delicious treats created by our wonderful Pastry Chef and that you were made to feel special with your surprise birthday cake.

We do like to ensure all our guests are able to relax and linger over every morsel of their afternoon tea for as long as they like which is why the table is yours for the duration and you will never be rushed out so that we can squeeze another sitting in.

I very much hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Goring again soon.

Graham Copeman,
TIRANA, ALBANIA
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Goring is a really attractive and fascinating hotel. The staff and the service was really fantastic. the room was quite comfortable but a bit small for the standards of a 5 star hotel. Breakfast was rich but differently from the other hotels you had to order it to the waiter. It was not self-service, something I have never faced in other hotels.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BRUNILDA P
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear BRUNILDA P,

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay at The Goring.

It is wonderful to hear that you experienced fantastic service throughout your stay. Breakfast is, in my opinion, one of the highlights of a stay at The Goring. Whether you enjoy fresh fruit salads and pastries or a hearty hot breakfast cooked to order, you can be sure that a Goring breakfast will prepare you well for the day ahead.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring on your next visit to London.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I LOVE having afternoon tea and having it at The Goring Hotel was absolutely fantastic and wonderful. The place was nicely decorated and peaceful, but not too quiet where you can't have a lovely chat with your companions. It was on the pricey side but nonetheless, a great experience. Delicious snacks, sandwiches and desserts, with loads of tea to choose from.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Deana M
Dear Deana I.

Thank you for your excellent review of your recent afternoon tea at The Goring.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the delicious array of treats that our wonderful Pastry Chef has created for our award winning Afternoon Tea. Our Garden Bar and Lounge is a wonderful place to while away an afternoon chatting with companions – it is always bustling but at the same time peaceful and relaxed as you experienced.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, perhaps to try The Goring Dining Room delights on your next visit.

Herts
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The occasion was a surprise weekend treat. From the outset the level of service was outstanding - extremely courteous and not at all overbearing - on par with some of the best hotels I have stayed in on business in the Far East. The room was very comfortable - the bed in particular. And the breakfast was first class with a wide range of starters and for our main some wonderful smoked haddock and poached eggs made to order. Afternoon drinks in the rear garden were accompanied by endless supplies of freshly-made nibbles.

I have rarely felt more relaxed and comfortable in a hotel.

This very elegant and English hotel made for the perfect visit to London.

Room Tip: Ideally, get a room overlooking the garden. Note that rooms do not have a fridge or coffee machine b...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jarowatkins
Dear jarowatkins,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your recent surprise celebratory stay at The Goring.

It was wonderful to read that you found our service to outstanding from the moment you arrived to the moment you sadly left. It is always lovely to hear that a guest has enjoyed every part of the hotel from their room to our Garden, Lounge Bar and Dining Room.

As you mention, we do not provide a fridge or coffee making facilities in the room as standard as we feel that while you are with us you should not have to lift a finger for yourself. However, we are certainly happy to provide both of these on request so please do let the team know on your next stay if you would like this arranged.

Many thanks again for taking the time to write and we all very much look forward hopefully to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I live in London, so have never had the need to stay at The Goring - but I suppose that shouldn't stop me! I have, however, been visiting the restaurant on and off for a number of years. It is quite simply the place I always choose to go for a special occasion - and quite a few ordinary ones too!

Of course I visit other restaurants, but they never, in my opinion, measure up to the 'Goring Experience'. What is great about the place is that the quality speaks for itself. The staff don't need 'attitude' to convince you that the place is special; they are ruthlessly efficient but always with an easy manner and relaxed style.

To be able to sit on the terrace overlooking the garden in the warmer weather with a glass of champagne while perusing the restaurant menu is just sublime. In the winter, the bar and adjoining lounge rich, cosy and welcoming.

If running a restaurant is like good theatre - The Goring Dining Room is 'the National'. The setting, service and food are always excellent and you are made to feel that you are special.

If I am pressed to come up with anywhere I like as much, it would be Gleneagles - a similar philosophy, in my opinion.

Room Tip: If the public areas of the hotel are anything to go by - I'd be surprised if they had a bad one!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Chgough
Dear Chgough.

Thank you for your wonderful review of your many visits to The Goring.

I was thrilled to read that we are always your choice for a special occasion as well as many ordinary ones too! It fills me with joy to hear that you are made to feel special on each and every visit. It is so important to us that our guests are made to feel relaxed and at home at The Goring whilst receiving top notch service and I believe it is the manner and attitude of the team here that really create this experience.

On behalf of all the team here, we look forward to welcoming you and making you feel special on many occasions for years to come.