“Impeccable service”

Ranked #8 of 1,068 Hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“Impeccable service”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I recently stayed here as a solo traveler. I am pleased to say that traditional, superb service is alive and well at The Goring.

As soon as I entered the hotel, my bag and umbrella were immediately taken out of my hands by attentive staff and placed next to the reception desk. The lovely woman at reception then led me to the parlor where I was seated and served tea, and this is where I was actually checked in. What a nice touch!

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I was given an upgrade. The room was beautiful, well-appointed, and quite spacious for a London hotel room. The television was contained inside an armoire which I thought was a classy touch. The bathroom was clean and modern with plenty of space for my various items. The toiletries provided were the Molton Brown brand which I love.

Breakfast was included in my rate and it was wonderful. It was served, not offered as a buffet, another example of this hotel's commitment to service. The menu contained the usual English breakfast items and continental options but also included extras like omelettes and kippers. The service was excellent and they were amused by my ordering the kipper because I told them I'd read about it in Edwardian novels.

I only had to say my room number one time throughout my stay. For the rest of my time there, each staff member knew me by name, whether they were on the morning, afternoon, or evening shift. Absolutely wonderful service!

When I requested a wake up call, I was given the option of tea or coffee to be brought to my room. It doesn't get better than that!

In addition to tea and biscuits in the parlor, I enjoyed sitting outside in the beautiful garden (and croquet lawn) for early evening snacks. In the parlor and the garden, there are signs that encourage guests to put away their mobile phones in order to preserve the quiet peace of the setting. I appreciated that very much and was pleased to see that all the guests complied.

If you want to treat yourself in London, stay at The Goring! You will not regret it. I cannot recommend this hotel enough. Thank you to the lovely staff for a delightful stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Phenobarbara
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Dear Phenobarbara,

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay at The Goring.

I am thrilled to hear that you found the service during your stay to be impeccable from the moment you entered the hotel. Getting to know each of our guests personally, by name is one of the most important but also enjoyable parts of our service here so it is great to hear that this made such an impression on you.

I am so pleased that you felt treated during your stay with us and we look forward hopefully to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Graham Copeman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Loved staying here. Very English and lots of charm. Fabulous service, they know your name right away and have wonderful and quick delivery services. The bar is charming and inviting. Afternoon tea is booked everyday, so make sure you plan ahead. Our room was perfect, clean and beds were extremely comfortable. Tube station right down the street. Shopping so easy to get to. And lots of tourist attractions just a few blocks away. The hotel even booked a last minute tour for me outside the city. I have to say this one of my favorite hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear natalie710121416,

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay at The Goring.

I am thrilled to hear that we are now one of your favourite hotels. It is always wonderful to hear that a guest has been able to make the most of their stay with us by enjoying so many of our facilities including the Garden Bar and Lounge and the extensive knowledge of our Concierge team.

Many thanks for taking the time to write and we look forward hopefully to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family and I were celebrating a most special occasion and we chose The Goring and we had the most splendid days here. Atmosphere was lovely. Excellent service and food. The room was very comfortable with a lovely bathroom and the best bed ever. It was excellent value for money and I can't imagine another hotel being as good as this. Thank you for making our special day more than enjoyable!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela G
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Angela G,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at The Goring.

It was our pleasure to welcome you and your family for your special occasion. I am so pleased to hear that you had a ‘most splendid’ time here and enjoyed every element from the atmosphere and service to the food and your bedroom. Indeed you will be hard pushed to find a bed more comfortable than the beds here at The Goring – I haven’t found one yet!

On behalf of all the team here I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another visit before too long.

Redbourn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I booked this celebration tea for my sister after doing some research into Afternoon teas in London. I was a bit nervous as this hotel is also famous for the Middletons staying the night before the royal wedding. We were made so welcome, doors open on arrival, shown to our table and a choice of at least 6 teas. You could have the champagne tea with a glass of bolly and strawberries. Start with an Amusee Bouche , followed by finger sandwiches, scones and cream and jam and a selection of fancy cakes. Asked if we would like a top up of any of the food. We then were served with a mini trifle. Best of all when I booked a couple of months ago I mentioned it was a birthday treat. To my amazement out came a little cake with a candle, very discreet. There was no rush like others place with sittings. This has to be the best there is. So thank you Goring and your fabulous staff .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tricia115
Dear Tricia115,

Thank you for you excellent review of your celebratory Afternoon Tea at The Goring.

I am thrilled to hear that you so enjoyed all the delicious treats created by our wonderful Pastry Chef and that you were made to feel special with your surprise birthday cake.

We do like to ensure all our guests are able to relax and linger over every morsel of their afternoon tea for as long as they like which is why the table is yours for the duration and you will never be rushed out so that we can squeeze another sitting in.

I very much hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Goring again soon.

Graham Copeman,
TIRANA, ALBANIA
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Goring is a really attractive and fascinating hotel. The staff and the service was really fantastic. the room was quite comfortable but a bit small for the standards of a 5 star hotel. Breakfast was rich but differently from the other hotels you had to order it to the waiter. It was not self-service, something I have never faced in other hotels.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BRUNILDA P
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear BRUNILDA P,

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay at The Goring.

It is wonderful to hear that you experienced fantastic service throughout your stay. Breakfast is, in my opinion, one of the highlights of a stay at The Goring. Whether you enjoy fresh fruit salads and pastries or a hearty hot breakfast cooked to order, you can be sure that a Goring breakfast will prepare you well for the day ahead.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring on your next visit to London.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I LOVE having afternoon tea and having it at The Goring Hotel was absolutely fantastic and wonderful. The place was nicely decorated and peaceful, but not too quiet where you can't have a lovely chat with your companions. It was on the pricey side but nonetheless, a great experience. Delicious snacks, sandwiches and desserts, with loads of tea to choose from.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Deana M
Dear Deana I.

Thank you for your excellent review of your recent afternoon tea at The Goring.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the delicious array of treats that our wonderful Pastry Chef has created for our award winning Afternoon Tea. Our Garden Bar and Lounge is a wonderful place to while away an afternoon chatting with companions – it is always bustling but at the same time peaceful and relaxed as you experienced.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, perhaps to try The Goring Dining Room delights on your next visit.

Herts
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The occasion was a surprise weekend treat. From the outset the level of service was outstanding - extremely courteous and not at all overbearing - on par with some of the best hotels I have stayed in on business in the Far East. The room was very comfortable - the bed in particular. And the breakfast was first class with a wide range of starters and for our main some wonderful smoked haddock and poached eggs made to order. Afternoon drinks in the rear garden were accompanied by endless supplies of freshly-made nibbles.

I have rarely felt more relaxed and comfortable in a hotel.

This very elegant and English hotel made for the perfect visit to London.

Room Tip: Ideally, get a room overlooking the garden. Note that rooms do not have a fridge or coffee machine b...