“Dream hotel - dream trip - dreaming of a return stay!”
Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #7 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Boston, MA
“Dream hotel - dream trip - dreaming of a return stay!”
Reviewed 20 January 2011

From the moment I was greeted at the door to the evening cocktail brought swiftly to my room before bed, it was a magical place to stay in London. The atmosphere is intimate but also somewhat reserved, very British. I was only there 4 nights but the doorman and concierge knew me by name and welcomed me back each time I returned. I especially appreciated this as I was traveling alone. My room was charmingly decorated and very clean - one housekeeping issue I had was quickly resolved. I also utilized the computer center daily which was so convenient, as I did not have a computer with me. I enjoyed dinner in the dining room one night which was just lovely - try the Beef Wellington! - and I found the sommelier helpful and knowledgeable about the extensive wine list. Breakfast is overpriced and most mornings I only had a continental breakfast in my room, but the one morning I ate in the dining room and it was delightful. The location of the hotel is wonderful, too. A 5 minute walk to the Victoria Station underground stop and also close to many central bus lines. Not a lot of restaurants in the area but it's just so easy to get around London so you never feel far away from a good spot to eat.
I hope to return to London one day soon and I would absolutely stay at the Goring again. This time in the warmer months so I could enjoy the gardens. And I'll do tea at the Goring next time - one thing I didn't do on this trip.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank voyagerpam
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
Dear Voyagerpam,
I am delighted to read your kind review following your stay with us last month. The personalised service in particular is of paramount importance to us here at The Goring - it is essential to us that our guests feel truly at home with us, really one of the family.
I am also pleased that you share my love of Derek Quelch's Beef Wellington from the trolley in the evenings!
We are looking forward to your return already. Please let me know and we will be sure to have a table for Afternoon Tea awaiting your arrival.
Graham Copeman, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2011

I stayed at The Goring with my wife for one night on 15/1/11. We were booked to see a matinee performance of Billy Elliot at The Victoria Palace (also excellent, by the way) which is a few minutes walk away; the hotel is very conveniently situated for catching a show, shopping & sightseeing yet is on a quite side street away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The hotel is elegant and very traditional with the decor being classical yet modern.
We were greeted by a very efficient, smiling doorman who escorted us to the charming receptionist who booked us in then took us to our room. After a detailed tour of the room's facilities, she left us to relax. The room was one of the hotel's 'standard' rooms with a queen size bed (a bit too soft for our liking but crisp, fresh linen and sumptuous pillows). It was beautifully decorated and was spacious. We were provided with all of the usual items that one would expect (although there were no tea/coffee making facilities and no mini-bar).
After our theatre trip, we returned to have a couple of (very pricey!) drinks in the bar; a very nice place to sit and have a drink and enjoy the delicious canapes that were being circulated.
We dined in the restaurant that evening which was also beautifully decorated (not sure about the lighting though!) where we enjoyed a very nice (and reasonably priced) meal from the set dinner menu. We chose wine form the excellent and varied wine list ourselves although we were offered the services of the sommelier.
Breakfast the next morning was good with an excellent choice and variety to suit all palettes although, unlike the dinner of the previous night, was rather expensive at £30 per head. All in all, the setting, decor, ambience, food, room and facilities were very good indeed.
However, be under no illusion, this is not what The Goring is about... From the moment that you arrive, through reading the personal hand-written greeting card left in your room, to when the same smiling doorman thanks you by name for staying there escorts you out again, you are left in no doubt why The Goring has earned it's 5 stars and well-deserved reputation. The staff are exceptional in every way with every member of the team performing their role faultlessly and in such a serene manner it results in them being so unobtrusive that they become almost unnoticeable. Yet your every move is clearly being monitored as it is never necessary to seek anyones' attention to ask for anything; it all just happens...effortlessly!
The Goring is superb. Attention to detail, excellence and the utmost courtesy shown to the clientele.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dbroadbent
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Our four day stay at the Goering was fantastic. It was a pleasure to look out on their beautiful garden. Delightful place to come back to at the end of a busy day of touring London. Location couldn't be better. We were cheerfully greeted daily by Rupert, the doorman. Breakfast was a bit pricy, but it included everything and the oatmeal was so tasty! I'd love to stay there again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2416Sheridan
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
Dear 2416Sheridan,
I would like to thank you for your comments on The Goring. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope you will join us again very soon indeed.
When you return to London, please be sure to contact me personally.
Meanwhile, we wish you very best wishes for 2011 from all at The Goring.
Warmest regards,
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We stayed here to celebrate my mums 60th birthday! Was fantastic! Rooms lovely and clean, staff are friendly, polite and very welcoming. The food was amazing and well worth every penny, they made a cake for my mums birthday which was delicious. When we will the lottery will def be going back!!! Ps the breakfasts are the best in London.

• Stayed January 2011
Dear 'Veritypowell',
We are over the moon to learn about the memories you will have of your mother's 60th birthday here at The Goring. It was truly our pleasure to welcome you into the hotel to celebrate such a special occasion.
Please do come and visit us again soon and make sure to let me know next time.
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I stayed at the Goring for my 40th birthday present - absolutely wonderful in every way! The staff were fabulous, the room beautiful, food amazing...for a special treat it is worth every penny. We also went to see BIlly Elliot (just around the corner) and enjoyed lunch in Harrods. This hotel is exceptional!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judith J
London, England
Reviewed 14 November 2010

I have used all the well known 5 Star hotels, in London, for both business and leisure and The Goring is truly outstanding in all areas. Above all the serrvice is second to none and whenever I and my colleagues eat or stay elswhere this is the standard we always compare to and in the vast majority of cases they are inferior .

The staff are always able to deal with special requests and whilst it is true that one cannot use laptops/mobiles in the public areas there are two facilities in the lobby and excellent meeting rooms for hire, which I regularly use for confidential business meetings.

The bedrooms of all types are clean, well maintained and excellently appointed.

The Restaurant is a gem with a top rate Reastaurant Manager who also ensures that all food and beverage within the hotel is of a consistently very high standard. In fact many of our clients specifically request to meet us in this restaurant.

I sincerely hope that The Goring continues for a further 100 years offereing the discerning traveller something unique and different from the normal chains run largely by accountants and investment organisations, rather than familky hoteliers.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank AnthonyGo
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 16 November 2010
Dear AnthonyGo,
We are so pleased to learn of your experiences at The Goring and thank you for sharing it with the Trip Advisor community. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Regards,
Graham Copeman
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Great location and very nice property which has been recently restored.The food was great and service too.

The only issue we had was we were not allowed to use our cell phones or lap tops in the public areas. Whilst I understand this it does make it difficult for business travellers.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Bestybunter
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 10 November 2010
Dear Bestybunter,
Thank you for your kind words of The Goring. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us earlier this year.
It is important to us that the Goring lounge is a place for our guests to relax and unwind, which is why we do request for laptops to be put away and for mobile telephone calls to be taken outside of the bar and restaurant areas. They can, however, be used in the Lobby where there is a leather bench for your comfort whilst doing so! We do find that the number of guests who enjoy the peaceful haven that this provides in the middle of a busy city outnumbers the number of guests who wish to use their mobile devices, but we are sorry that you found it inconvenienced you.
I would like to assure you, however, that we have taken your comments on board, and have updated our website to advise our guests before their arrival. We hope this avoids disappointment in the future.
We hope to see you again soon at The Goring.