“Great hotel - the best service, nice public rooms, tired bedrooms”
Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #5 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great hotel - the best service, nice public rooms, tired bedrooms”
Reviewed 10 February 2011

My family have been visiting the Goring for many decades and I consider it one of the nicest hotels in London, up there with The Dorchester for service.

I eat at the hotel at least once a week and I suppose that in itself demonstrates that it must be doing something right. It has after all beeing doing it for over 100 years in fact, under the ownership of the same family.

The bar bussles ( and has an appealing choice of decent sandwiches etc, although they could perhaps change the hot food menu) and the restaurant consistantly produces decent British food in a pleasant environment.
Recent refurbishment of the Ground floor to to eveyone's taste but not offensive.

Rooms are a little tired and could do with a make-over, especially as the Savoy has recently reopened following their closure and transformation.
Never cheap but wouldn't want it to be either.

Nice enclosed garden in summer and close to Victoria Sation if you ever have the unfortunate mishap of having to use it. Convenient for Wesminster Cathedral and Buckingham Palace and 5 minutes walk from each.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank travellersrest2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2011

The really lovely thing about this hotel is the staff and the service. The public rooms have a wonderful ambience. Our bedroom was clean and comfy but the decor was rather tired especially in the bathroom. The bath was an exact fit for my 5 foot frame but was impossibly small for my husband. Excellent breakfasts but our only experience of dinner was disapointingly average. Overall we were sold on the staff and the atmosphere and will be back, but will go to another restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank newforestlady
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Everything about the Goring is wonderful - from the moment you check in (the Front of House Manager whisked my dress away to be pressed and hung up, ready for the evening), to the very friendly service in the bar (with delicious canapes that are served complimentary!), to the seriously comfortable room with best ever walk in shower (we stayed in a 'Silk room with view over the garden').

Only slight bad point was that not all of our room service breakfast was delivered...but a quick phone call to Room Service and within 4 minutes a plate of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon was delivered. Impressive!

For a totally relaxing night, where staff think of everything before you have even thought it yourself, this is the place to stay. I look forward to returnning.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Vv83
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 1 February 2011
Dear Vv83,
Thank you for your comments. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Goring experience so much, and hope you will return again soon.
Warmest regards,
Boston, MA
Reviewed 20 January 2011

From the moment I was greeted at the door to the evening cocktail brought swiftly to my room before bed, it was a magical place to stay in London. The atmosphere is intimate but also somewhat reserved, very British. I was only there 4 nights but the doorman and concierge knew me by name and welcomed me back each time I returned. I especially appreciated this as I was traveling alone. My room was charmingly decorated and very clean - one housekeeping issue I had was quickly resolved. I also utilized the computer center daily which was so convenient, as I did not have a computer with me. I enjoyed dinner in the dining room one night which was just lovely - try the Beef Wellington! - and I found the sommelier helpful and knowledgeable about the extensive wine list. Breakfast is overpriced and most mornings I only had a continental breakfast in my room, but the one morning I ate in the dining room and it was delightful. The location of the hotel is wonderful, too. A 5 minute walk to the Victoria Station underground stop and also close to many central bus lines. Not a lot of restaurants in the area but it's just so easy to get around London so you never feel far away from a good spot to eat.
I hope to return to London one day soon and I would absolutely stay at the Goring again. This time in the warmer months so I could enjoy the gardens. And I'll do tea at the Goring next time - one thing I didn't do on this trip.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank voyagerpam
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
Dear Voyagerpam,
I am delighted to read your kind review following your stay with us last month. The personalised service in particular is of paramount importance to us here at The Goring - it is essential to us that our guests feel truly at home with us, really one of the family.
I am also pleased that you share my love of Derek Quelch's Beef Wellington from the trolley in the evenings!
We are looking forward to your return already. Please let me know and we will be sure to have a table for Afternoon Tea awaiting your arrival.
With warmest regards,
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2011

I stayed at The Goring with my wife for one night on 15/1/11. We were booked to see a matinee performance of Billy Elliot at The Victoria Palace (also excellent, by the way) which is a few minutes walk away; the hotel is very conveniently situated for catching a show, shopping & sightseeing yet is on a quite side street away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The hotel is elegant and very traditional with the decor being classical yet modern.
We were greeted by a very efficient, smiling doorman who escorted us to the charming receptionist who booked us in then took us to our room. After a detailed tour of the room's facilities, she left us to relax. The room was one of the hotel's 'standard' rooms with a queen size bed (a bit too soft for our liking but crisp, fresh linen and sumptuous pillows). It was beautifully decorated and was spacious. We were provided with all of the usual items that one would expect (although there were no tea/coffee making facilities and no mini-bar).
After our theatre trip, we returned to have a couple of (very pricey!) drinks in the bar; a very nice place to sit and have a drink and enjoy the delicious canapes that were being circulated.
We dined in the restaurant that evening which was also beautifully decorated (not sure about the lighting though!) where we enjoyed a very nice (and reasonably priced) meal from the set dinner menu. We chose wine form the excellent and varied wine list ourselves although we were offered the services of the sommelier.
Breakfast the next morning was good with an excellent choice and variety to suit all palettes although, unlike the dinner of the previous night, was rather expensive at £30 per head. All in all, the setting, decor, ambience, food, room and facilities were very good indeed.
However, be under no illusion, this is not what The Goring is about... From the moment that you arrive, through reading the personal hand-written greeting card left in your room, to when the same smiling doorman thanks you by name for staying there escorts you out again, you are left in no doubt why The Goring has earned it's 5 stars and well-deserved reputation. The staff are exceptional in every way with every member of the team performing their role faultlessly and in such a serene manner it results in them being so unobtrusive that they become almost unnoticeable. Yet your every move is clearly being monitored as it is never necessary to seek anyones' attention to ask for anything; it all just happens...effortlessly!
The Goring is superb. Attention to detail, excellence and the utmost courtesy shown to the clientele.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dbroadbent
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Our four day stay at the Goering was fantastic. It was a pleasure to look out on their beautiful garden. Delightful place to come back to at the end of a busy day of touring London. Location couldn't be better. We were cheerfully greeted daily by Rupert, the doorman. Breakfast was a bit pricy, but it included everything and the oatmeal was so tasty! I'd love to stay there again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2416Sheridan
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
Dear 2416Sheridan,
I would like to thank you for your comments on The Goring. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope you will join us again very soon indeed.
When you return to London, please be sure to contact me personally.
Meanwhile, we wish you very best wishes for 2011 from all at The Goring.
Warmest regards,
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We stayed here to celebrate my mums 60th birthday! Was fantastic! Rooms lovely and clean, staff are friendly, polite and very welcoming. The food was amazing and well worth every penny, they made a cake for my mums birthday which was delicious. When we will the lottery will def be going back!!! Ps the breakfasts are the best in London.

• Stayed January 2011
Dear 'Veritypowell',
We are over the moon to learn about the memories you will have of your mother's 60th birthday here at The Goring. It was truly our pleasure to welcome you into the hotel to celebrate such a special occasion.
Please do come and visit us again soon and make sure to let me know next time.
With warmest regards,