“Very nice breakfast. Steep steps to the loo!”

Southwark Cathedral
US$37.91*
Royal Observatory and Thames River Cruise in London
Ranked #132 of 1,718 things to do in London
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Nice breakfast and great location just next to the Thames path. I did overhear the next table saying how steep the 17 steps were to the loo, so beware if your less confident on your feet. Full English was fresh and tasty and the coffee was excellent. Highly recommeded

1  Thank chelskiBucks

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We really loved our visit to Southwark Cathedral! The church is free to visit, though they do ask for a free will offering and ask for £2.50 for a photography permit (£5 for videography)... it was well worth the fee. The entire staff was incredibly cheery and helpful, even giving us an impromptu tour of the church.

We had the whole church to ourselves (we arrived first thing in the morning). We were even able to find the grave (read: stumble upon) of an ancestor! The church has a very cozy feel about it.

Just outside the church, but within the protected breezeway, there is a lovely archaeological exhibit dug next to the foundations that can be viewed from above. It is a small exhibit, but fascinating nonetheless.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I was walking and exploring the city of London from the Shard and i found this magnificent cathedral, with a small nice food market next to it. It was beautiful, although the entrance is free, there is charity box that requires you to fill in a certain amount of donation, but we only gave the box 4 pound and then suddenly the guy inside (who's been starring at us when we got inside) the cathedral start talking and gave us this leaflet about the cathedral. But overall it was beautiful gothic architecture, and i loved it! There was several tomb for the bishop and a small sanctuary behind the altar.

Afterwards we went out and bought food at the market (i bought a hod wrap and it was delicious) and seat in front of the cathedral, admiring its architectural beauty.

1  Thank Bojogselem
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is truly an escape from the busyness of the city. There is a requested donation and we found a leaflet that gave us some brief details. There is a gift shop and a café. I now wished I'd have purchased the magnet "Keep Calm and Pray On" - never saw that anywhere else. The best part of our tour was listening to a lovely lady (vicar?) recite The Lord's Prayer in the side chapel - that sent chills through us. It's a beautiful church with lots of history. There is a modest charge for the WC.

2  Thank patio53
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have just discovered the churchyard of Southwark Cathedral whilst searching for somewhere to have my lunch. Usually I sit on the south bank near The Anchor, but I wanted to avoid the crowds.

Tucked away, there are a number of benches outside and lots of space to sit and enjoy the fabulous architecture and stain glass windows of the cathedral. Perhaps if i have more time, I will pop inside and take a peek too.

I am sure this place will not stay a secret for long. So Shhh! No telling ;)

1  Thank ClareMcK