“Very clean”

Ranked #740 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Galway, Ireland
“Very clean”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

As a cheaper option in London, the Caswell was perfectly fine - I wasn't expecting the Ritz after all. The room was quite clean, although I wasn't crazy about the fact that we had to go outside a back door to get to it as this meant that when I woke up in the middle of the night I had to go outside to get to the bathroom since there was no bathroom in the room. One of the hotel workers also kept smoking outside the windows to our room even after I asked them not to, which was irritating. So if you don't want that sort of situation, you should specifically request that your room be in the main portion of the building.

I'll also note that if you need an elevator, there isn't one in the building, just some rather steep stairs, so look elsewhere.

The bathroom in the basement level was fairly clean, although it was quite cold in there since the window didn't shut all the way. The shower was fine - rather large, the controls were easy to use, and there was plenty of hot water to be had.

Great location - about ten minutes from Victoria Station and a little less from Pimlico Station on the Underground.

Really, my only real bone of contention with the hotel was that the times I was told were when breakfast were served weren't followed at all; some mornings breakfast started late, some mornings it ended early. I had booked here in part because there was a breakfast served, but out of four mornings I only managed to get it once.

I suppose the up-shot of it is that you get what you pay for, and as such I was pleased with the Caswell; cleanliness is probably the most important factor to me, and, as I said, the room was very clean. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Damariscotta
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel London Victoria, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear DamariScotta,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with us on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a comfortable stay.

I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Some of your comments have caused me some concern. In particular the smoking. If you can let me know what time this happened so I can investigate the matter. I have also noted you comments about the breakfast times. Going forward I will be personally checking the start and finish time daily, Please accept my apologies for this.

I look forward to you response and I hope that you will choose us when you are next in London.

email : nimesh@hotellondon.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Terceira, Portugal
Reviewed 3 February 2013

This B&B is certainly not the nicest but its also not the worst. The bathrooms are shared and not very clean, the rooms are very small but have the essentials perfect for a busy traveler. This B&B is perfect for someone who will only be here to get ready and fall asleep. The breakfast is very basic, just a few croissants and cereals. The price of the hotel was very cheap and the location was close to many attractions. The service was very good and helpful as well. I would recommend this b&b for a busy traveler on a budget.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EatDrinkTravel2009
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel London Victoria, responded to this review, 9 February 2013
Dear Eatdrinktravel2009

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a comfortable stay.

I am grateful that you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciate your recommendation. I have noted your comment about the shower and we are taking steps to improve the cleaning so that they are cleaned more regularly throughout the day.

I am look forward to welcoming you back again next time you are in London.

Operations Manager
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed in the Caswell Hotel whilst on a business trip and needed somewhere close to Victoria station for ease of transport.
The room we had was small but had its own little en-suite, all a bit dated and tired but worked and was clean.
We had one night here and had all the usual necessities- like tea making facilities in the room and even an iron and hair dryer.
I paid £40 for 2 of us in a twin room, which I believe to be very good value. The continental breakfast was included. My only gripe was that the breakfast is served from 7.45am and not earlier, which meant we had to rush to get to our conference.
I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for value for money and location. I would not bring family here, although for more business trips, or accommodation for shopping in London I would not hesitate.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank experttravelcorner
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel London Victoria, responded to this review, 8 December 2012
Dear Lucy C

I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am grateful for your recommendation. I am look forward to welcoming you back again next time you are in London.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Myself and a friend stayed at the Caswell Hotel on the 27th October 2012. We were seeing the amazing musical WICKED! We arrived in London earlier than check in time and were allowed to leave our luggage in the reception. We were allowed back in and out whenever we wanted and were greeted with nothing but kindness and friendlyness from the staff. The room was basic but clean but for £75 a night for the two of us we were more than happy! Breakfast was simple but enough and again served by friendly staff. The hotel is located about a 10 minute walk away from Victoria Shopping Center, Bus Station and Victoria Train Station as well as about that distance from WICKED! Which suited us perfectly so we were close to the hotel after an amazing but long night at WICKED! The 24hour reception suited us perfectly for this. We will most definitely be going back to the Caswell whenever we were in London as we loved it so much we did not want to leave! Thank you to the staff for helping to make our trip as enjoyable and easy as possiable!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Londonlover25
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel London Victoria, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear Londonlover25

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Great budget room for one night, found it on laterooms.co.uk. The breakfast was basic but nice. The room was really clean with tea/coffee making facilities, a hairdryer and a TV. There were also extra blankets. Close to some great restaurants (I recommend the Mekong) and Victoria Station. The decor is a bit 80's but who cares.....
The only bad thing was the shared shower. It was the size of a cupboard, so had to leave my things outside in the hall. There was a block in the shower so it filled with water very quickly. I couldn't shower for more than 1 minute so impossible to wash my hair but for 1 night, it was manageable.....

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leannable
Dear Leannable

I am grateful that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted your comment on shower. I am sorry for this trouble. We have unblocked the drain now. We also have some en-suite rooms as well which is perfectly suitable for you. I am look forward to welcoming you back again next time you are in London.