“Not Pretty But Good Service”

Caswell Hotel London Victoria
Ranked #752 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The Caswell is a basic hotel with quite dated decor but the service is amazing: the staff were friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for us. It's a rare thing for a budget traveller to be made to feel like a valued guest! The rooms are clean and comfortable and the location is great.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank susicubed
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel London Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear Susicubed

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a comfortable stay.

I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us also would like to thank you for your comment on service and location. I am look forward to welcoming you back again next time you are in London.

email : Nimesh@hotelLondon.co.uk

There are newer reviews for Caswell Hotel London Victoria

Reviewed 13 June 2013

my expectations weren't great given the price however on being inside the hotel I immediately wished to cancel my reservation...this unfortunately wasn't possible so I decided to stay.The first thing that strikes you is how run down and tatty everything is I would guess the hall stairs and landing carpet was a vintage 1972ish in orangey brown swirls in the parts that weren't completely worn away .I would say the accommodation is similar to how id imagine a backpackers hostel to be and therefore anything over £20 per night was shocking value, I paid 85.i had to walk up 5 flights of stairs to get to my box I mean room .The shared shower facilities amounted to something resembling a cupboard...worst of all the shower was cold. I reported this when checking out and the manager nimesh was going to check this for himself until I accused him of not believing me and he relented(probably slightly daunted by another 5 flight climb of the stairs no doubt!) and offered me a £ 10 discount!...I said this would not change the fact that without showering I didn't feel like a human being and instructed him to make an equivalent donation to the injured jockeys fund and left.my advice to anyone wanting similar facilities to the caswell hotel would be to sleep in your car if you have one.

Room Tip: sleep in your car instead
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel London Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

Dear Simonstromy

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a comfortable stay.

Once again please accept my apologies about the cold shower. I had wanted to check the shower so that we could see if there was an issue that could be fixed immediately. We have no doubt that you were unable to have a hot shower. After you have left we have checked this and everything is working well. Ideally you would let us know immediately next time so we can have a solution that means you can leave the hotel having showered.

I appreciate that we are not to everyone’s taste but we are grateful that you gave us a try.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Since staying at the Caswell Hotel back in October (my previous review can be seen on my profile) and having such a plesant stay, I re-booked this time for one night in April, with two of my friends.

We were on the first floor this time, so hardly any floors to climb (this was perfect for three girls with big suitcases).

The room was clean as were the bathrooms and showers, sadly there were not particually roomy, but they were acceptable and as I said before they were perfectly clean.

The staff were friendly and kind, and even offered us 10% off on our next visit as we were becomming regulars:)

Breakfast was cheep and cheerful:) Tea or coffee/orange juice and Toast or Crossans :) Easy:)

The whole experiance was easy and we were even allowed to leave our bags in there care for the day without charge which was very helpful:)

So If your staying or need to stay anywhere near Victoria then take my advice and book in at the Caswell:) The staff are nothing but accomodating. A longer review can be seen on my past reviews:)

Enjoy and book soon:)

Londonlover x

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Londonlover25

Dear Londonlover25

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a great stay.

I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am grateful for your recommendation. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Myself & my 18 year old daughter have stayed twice at the Caswell & I am about to book for a third time !!

YES the decor is dated, BUT who cares about that, we use it as a base & spend very little time there. The beds are comfortable, the whole hotel is scrupulous clean & very warm, we use the shared bathing facilities, they are not the best, but we only go for 2 -3 nights at a time so that's no big deal, the towels are new, there are extra pillows & blankets & a flat screen tv & enough mirrors for 2 females !! Breakfast is great, there is cereal & apples along with juices to help yourself to, the waitress's bring fresh brown or white toast along with croissants & tea or coffee.

The hotel is VERY quiet, the first time we stayed I thought it must be empty as it was so quiet, but when we went for breakfast we found lots of other guests, but you would never have known, I had a very good nights sleep.

Both times we have been (April 2012 & April 2013) the daytime reception guy has been the same & recognized us the 2nd time which was nice, we travel to London early & leave late, the hotel is more than happy for us to drop off & pick up luggage at any time, no its not in a locked room, but it is in reception where there always appears to be a member of staff.

The Caswell is literally a 10 min stroll from both Victoria coach & train/tube stations, it is a quiet area, as 2 females we feel safe & comfortable walking to the hotel after an evening out, the location is excellent, we like to walk & found that the Palace, houses of parliament, Covent garden & the royal opera house, London eye. Trafalgar Square & many other touristy places are within easy walking distance, I have even walked to Hyde park to see Diana's memorial & Kensington palace, this is a little further though !!

All in all I love the Caswell, yes its basic, but its cheap, you get what you pay for & like I said we just use it as a base so decor is of no consequence to me, the things that are important are spot on & I can't imagine staying anywhere else on my visits to London

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Debbie G

Dear Debbie G

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed stay with us. I have noted your comment about luggage storage and I would like to confirm that we have changed our left luggage place from reception to downstairs for more safe and secure place. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.

Reviewed 16 May 2013 via mobile

Was this hotel an old people's home before a hotel? Dated decor doesn't even come close! My parents had a similar carpet 30 years ago to the one in the hotel. Our room was outside from the main rooms had a weird smell in it when we walked in. There were signs of what looked like damp that had been painted over just down from the ceiling. The duvet and 2 plug sockets matched the age of the carpet and the shared shower/toilet were indoors, so once showering we were left with a choice of either drying off and getting changed in the corridor or making a mad dash semi naked to our room! The shower and toilet were both clean and in good working order which was good but the free hotel wifi only seemed to actually connect in the lobby area. For £70 per night I felt cheated, I have stayed in better hostel accommodation for half the price. Any saving graces? The staff were nice enough, the TV remote had batteries and there was no charge for looking after our luggage after we checked out and went to explore the city.

I'm aware they'll reply to this review so directly I'll say that the shared shower for room 1 is not at all convenient if you're self conscious about walking around semi naked past the smoking area outside.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank meesterwolf
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel London Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Dear Saturnspeak,

Thank you for giving us feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. Your review is very important to me as it helps me focus on what is important for future guests.

I am sorry to learn we were unable to meet your expectations on this visit. I understand your comments about age of the hotel and location of room. We are currently looking at plans to install bathrooms in all of our rooms. We already have some ensuite rooms which may have been more suitable for you.

I have noted your comments about the prices of Hostels. We continually monitor the prices of similar standard Hostels in the area to ensure that our basic rooms are good value for money.

Once again please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this visit. If there is anything I can do to make this right please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

email: nimesh@hotellondon.co.uk

Reviewed 26 April 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Federico R
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel London Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Close to Victoria Station so, for the price, a great bed for those in transit who need early morning trains out of Victoria. We stayed for one night. We had an "ensuite family room" for 3. The room was tiny BUT there was a shower AND toilet in it and that's what we were looking for. Being on the upper floor it was really warm in the room, (hot air rises I suppose) so we slept with the window open which was a bit noisy. Staff are very helpful and the inclusive breakfast was very good though not overly generous.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ARoelink

Dear ARoelink

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed stay with us. I have noted your comment about the breakfast being a little small. We are currently reviewing our breakfast offering. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.