“Basic but really all you need” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caswell Hotel London Victoria

Caswell Hotel London Victoria
Ranked #734 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Encinitas, California
“Basic but really all you need”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

If you're traveling to London on a budget then I definitely recommend the Caswell. The rooms are small and without many amenities, but you're visiting London, you shouldn't be spending a whole lot of time in the room. The staff is the highlight of the experience at the hotel, so friendly and helpful. A.B. was especially helpful and pleasant. The neighborhood on Gloucester is very quiet and mostly apartments. Close to some great restaurants, near Victoria station and Westminster abbey. If you're not looking for frills and looking to save some cash in an expensive city then the Caswell is for you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank MorganSurf
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel London Victoria, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Morgansurf

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a great stay.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am grateful for your recommendation. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.

Email : Nimesh@hotellondon.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I have never complained about a hotel in over 20 years of travel but this was the limit. When we opened the door to the family room we'd booked, my heart just sank. The room was stinking, the carpets were disgustingly old and dirty, and the furniture was truly ancient and battered. The two thin curtains differed in length by a good two inches.We could barely move in the tiny room and kept falling over our cases which couldn't be placed anywhere but in the middle of the room. I spent each day dreading returning to that room. Everyone else looked miserable in the dining room in the morning. Whilst the area is great and is very central, it's definitely worth staying further out of the centre of the city for a better room. Whatever you do, don't book into this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank L D
Dear LD

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I appreciate your feedback and also the fact that we are not are not to everyone’s tastes. We aim to provide great value budget accommodation in the heart of London. Our decor is very dated but we ensure that we keep it clean so that we can keep the price low for our guests. We are in the process of having the carpets cleaned throughout the hotel.

I am sorry that we did not meet you expectations on this visit.

Email : Nimesh@hotellondon.co.uk

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

I prepaid a non refundable price, so now im stuck here for 4 days. it is dirty! everything is dirty! I asked to get out and was told no. I have seen cleaner fraternity houses. Stay away listen to the people that call it a toilet

3 Thank Dominic G
Dear Dominic G

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience on tripadvisor. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a comfortable stay.

I am sorry to learn that you are not happy with your stay. I would like to know more about where did you feel dirty in the hotel so we can make changes on that points. Once again I am sorry that we did not meet you expectations on this visit.

Esperance, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

The Caswell is a basic hotel with quite dated decor but the service is amazing: the staff were friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for us. It's a rare thing for a budget traveller to be made to feel like a valued guest! The rooms are clean and comfortable and the location is great.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank susicubed
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel London Victoria, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Susicubed

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a comfortable stay.

I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us also would like to thank you for your comment on service and location. I am look forward to welcoming you back again next time you are in London.

email : Nimesh@hotelLondon.co.uk
ISLE OF WIGHT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

my expectations weren't great given the price however on being inside the hotel I immediately wished to cancel my reservation...this unfortunately wasn't possible so I decided to stay.The first thing that strikes you is how run down and tatty everything is I would guess the hall stairs and landing carpet was a vintage 1972ish in orangey brown swirls in the parts that weren't completely worn away .I would say the accommodation is similar to how id imagine a backpackers hostel to be and therefore anything over £20 per night was shocking value, I paid 85.i had to walk up 5 flights of stairs to get to my box I mean room .The shared shower facilities amounted to something resembling a cupboard...worst of all the shower was cold. I reported this when checking out and the manager nimesh was going to check this for himself until I accused him of not believing me and he relented(probably slightly daunted by another 5 flight climb of the stairs no doubt!) and offered me a £ 10 discount!...I said this would not change the fact that without showering I didn't feel like a human being and instructed him to make an equivalent donation to the injured jockeys fund and left.my advice to anyone wanting similar facilities to the caswell hotel would be to sleep in your car if you have one.

Room Tip: sleep in your car instead
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel London Victoria, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Dear Simonstromy

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a comfortable stay.

Once again please accept my apologies about the cold shower. I had wanted to check the shower so that we could see if there was an issue that could be fixed immediately. We have no doubt that you were unable to have a hot shower. After you have left we have checked this and everything is working well. Ideally you would let us know immediately next time so we can have a solution that means you can leave the hotel having showered.

I appreciate that we are not to everyone’s taste but we are grateful that you gave us a try.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Since staying at the Caswell Hotel back in October (my previous review can be seen on my profile) and having such a plesant stay, I re-booked this time for one night in April, with two of my friends.

We were on the first floor this time, so hardly any floors to climb (this was perfect for three girls with big suitcases).

The room was clean as were the bathrooms and showers, sadly there were not particually roomy, but they were acceptable and as I said before they were perfectly clean.

The staff were friendly and kind, and even offered us 10% off on our next visit as we were becomming regulars:)

Breakfast was cheep and cheerful:) Tea or coffee/orange juice and Toast or Crossans :) Easy:)

The whole experiance was easy and we were even allowed to leave our bags in there care for the day without charge which was very helpful:)

So If your staying or need to stay anywhere near Victoria then take my advice and book in at the Caswell:) The staff are nothing but accomodating. A longer review can be seen on my past reviews:)

Enjoy and book soon:)

Londonlover x

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Londonlover25
Dear Londonlover25

I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am grateful for your recommendation. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.