“Hmm....”

Ranked #337 of 554 London B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hmm....”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

When I booked via booking.com I looked at the pictures, did my research and looked on google maps street view. For the location I wasn't expect miracles for such a reasonable price. For the two of us in a double bed apartment it was £109 per night, something I didn't think of as bad for London - (alot cheaper than expected). Upon arrival we found out our appartment was next door in 102 Ebury St. Lucky as so many i'd read previously had said they were further away. We were in room 3, it was warm we'd been travelling via train, and via tube (which was the first time ever!) even those 3 little sets of stairs killed me trying to drag up the luggage. At first we were cool with the room but when your living in it past the first 24hrs you notice things. There was a lacking in plug sockets just an extension lead under the bed. We had the apartment so expected it to be larger it was slightly claustrophic at times and the kitchenette didn't even have bowls or a toast. We ended up eating our cereal out of the little cups that needed washing before not very good as the main colour on them was washing off. The fridge was appalling, it was set on 6, its highest and wasn't even slightly cold. Needless to say we threw the fruit pots and the milk went off really quickly. The bed was good, it was comfortable and the sheets were clean. We actually took our own towels though so used theres as a hand towel in the bathroom and a kitchen towel for the kitchenette for drying pots. The in room bathroom/ensuite was pretty terrible. It felt like being in a caravan (shower cubicles, toilet and little sink with no room for movement), clean but the shower changed from freezing to mega hot without a touch of the handle. The walls were extremely thin, what you would expect in a building of that age but not helpful when your in bed and there are families, children, or drunk couples outside your door. Usually very early or very late on, we even got to listen to a 45 min arguement in the next room from a couple who were most definantly drunk. My main concern were the locks, it seems a little loose and when people were banging doors ours would shake to the point where i'd panic it would fly open so we actually put our cases up against the doors to keep ourselves at ease.

Room Tip: Its a bed for the night, but not somewhere you'd want to hang out in for long.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
devon
Reviewed 18 July 2011

when booking my friend told me to read all the reviews (wich i did) and was shocked at how bad they were but it was the only one available when we needed it so didnt have high expectations on arriving , we arrived on saturday morning and went in to reception we had booked 2 rooms each to sleep 5 people we were told we were booked in to stay in a house down the road ,we were escorted down the road to a 4 bed house 2 bathroom/wc and 1 toilet house , there was a single room a room wid a double bed a room wid a double bed and a bunk bed ,ther was a room with a sofa a double bed a single and a bunk bed all rooms were big and had tea and coffe making faccilites towels on each bed and a tv and some sort of dressing table .it was a clean and comfortable house the carpets were stained but with how many people must come and go that was no supprise the bedding was clean and beds comfortable would def go back again x

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank berniPlymouth
Wickford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I had booked a double room only to be told I was given a twin. When I complained the receptionist rather rudely told me that I got what room I was given. He eventually relented and said he was putting me in a "big room". I was then charged a further £2 for paying by debit card with no satisfactory reason provided. The room was ok but far from special, had a double bed, two bunk beds, small table and 4 chairs and tv. The "ensuite" was minute - in a space the size of a wardrobe was a toilet and shower...

Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Cardiff
Reviewed 29 September 2010

To be honest when I look for a room I keep in mind that it is just somewhere to rest my head for the night and to dump my stuff. As long as it's clean enough and the bed doesn't kill me then it's fine. Collin House met these standards, I had been worried because of some of the reviews but we found the room to be tidy and clean (apart from the blue bed topper, eww what's the point?) also our room meant we had a sink but had to use the shared shower on the second floor but this was cleaned regularly and was in good nick.
The only thing I'd point out is that if you're looking for service and a quiet night this is probably not the place for you. We stayed in summer and had a group of Spanish kids staying in the room next door blasting europop through the paper thin walls. Luckily they left the place at 11pm and didn't usually come back until the next morning which was fine for us but not so much for the room below with young children. Also there were building works going on next door and they started every morning at 7am so it wasn't exactly a great kip but sufficient.
The location is brilliant though, just a few minutes from the coach station and so easy to walk into the city.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We planned the trip to London only few days before and this was almost the only site with vacancy (between the sites we can afford). After booking we read the reviews here and we were terrified.
But after been there we just can say that the most of those reviews are quite exaggerated.
This is the perfect place to go with friends (but not posh friends). Ok, it was very old, but also very close to Victoria Station and quite cheap. Oh, and surprised we had a fridge, didn't read that anywere!
The worst part was the bathroom, very old. And the room was poorly soundproofed from the hall (you can hear doors when open and close and footsteps).
The best, as I said, are location and price. And the street is very quiet, you can sleep with the window opened.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
yorkshire
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Stayed one night at this hotel for £39 for a double room. Great value for the location - really close to Victoria station and underground! Room was fine, small but clean and cosy, you're not going to get better for the price! Didn't have a bathroom in the room but could upgrade for an extra £10, didn't need to though as the shared bathroom was right next to our room and it was nice and clean.
All in all, no complaints, would definitely go again!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple