“Recent stay at The Darlington Hyde Park”

The Darlington Hyde Park
Ranked #223 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Umberleigh, United Kingdom
“Recent stay at The Darlington Hyde Park”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just a short walk from Paddington station which was perfect. Having stayed in other hotels in the same area The Darlington Hyde Park was by far the best and I will definitely return. Lovely quiet hotel run by efficient staff. Room was large, comfortable and very clean. Dining room spacious and breakfast superb.

Room Tip: If you want a more spacious room it is best to book a triple room even if there are only two people...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank patricia t
Dominika G, Manager at The Darlington Hyde Park, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Dear patricia 1, Thank you for the time to review The Darlington Hyde Park Hotel. I was glad that you enjoyed your stay with us including our central location, clean, comfortable and spacious room and our delicious breakfast. We look forward to be welcoming you in our hotel in the future. My renewed thanks, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Stockholm
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great location with easy walking distance to Paddington and Edgeware stations. One stop on the Heathrow Express from Heathrow to Paddington - perfect!

Single room #301 was really small but the size is perfectly sufficient if you are basically just sleeping there.

The bathroom was modern and clean. The shower was great -- good flow, plenty of hot water, etc. Strangely, it had no shelf or anything for soap or shampoo. Everything has to be kept on the floor of the shower or outside the shower. (Bonus points if management reads this and remedies that point.)

Breakfast (for an extra fee) was tasty and the wait staff very energetic, cheerful and attentive.

Lobby staff was friendly and attentive, as well.

Wifi was slow but sufficient, even in our rooms. Slightly annoying to have to log on each time, but I guess they have to have that security.

I looked at a lot of hotels before booking. They are all expensive. I thought this was a pretty good value. You can hardly beat the location, as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dominika G, Manager at The Darlington Hyde Park, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Swedish_US_traveller, Thank you for reviewing The Darlington Hyde Park on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our single rooms and you found our staff friendly and attentive. We took your comments on board regarding the bathroom and hopefully when you will come next time, you find a shelf by the shower to keep your shampoo, conditioner and shower gel on it. Our breakfast is being always included in the rate and your comment that it's for an extra fee concerns me. We just charge extra for special coffees like cappuccino, espresso or latte. I would like to apologise for this misunderstanding and if you would like to discuss your bill with me, please contact me at dominika@darlingtonhotel.co.uk. We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon. My renewed thanks, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lovely hotel, close to Paddington Station in quiet tree lined street. Accommodation was spotless and room a fair size for London. Staff were polite and friendly and very efficient.
Breakfast was very good, we had the full English, the only slight drawback was no air conditioning in the room, but a fan was provided.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Andy M
Dear Andy M, I really do appreciate you taking the time to leave your kind review following your stay with us. I was so delighted that you liked the efficient and friendly service you received and that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to be welcoming you back in The Darlington Hyde Park Hotel and I hope that all of your future stays with us will be at least as good as your recent. Regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Have visited this hotel several times. Good location near Paddington and Lancaster Gate, even near to Oxford street. This time our room, on the third floor, was rather large and very convenient, clean and comfortable. But the weather was so hot that we missed AC. The movable fan was a relief, but we had to have the windows open and there is some traffic in this street. The hotel itself is rather silent and a nice, old building very well modernised. We slept well in the heat and enjoyed our stay.
The wifi is a bit unstable and can be improved.

Room Tip: I belive ground floor rooms are smaller than higher up, we have had a ground floor room once. The ro...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 1SveinS, Thank you for your continued support and for returning time after time. I was glad that once again you enjoyed your stay with us. Return guests are what really makes working in a hotel a real pleasure and satisfaction. Thank you for being one of them and for your kind comments. See you soon, we all look forward to be welcoming you in The Darlington Hyde Park again. E-mail us for availability and the best rates. Kind regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Hotel is in excellent location about a 10 min.walk to Paddington station. Reception staff were very welcoming. Breakfast was good lots of choices & staff very pleasant.Rooms were cleaned every day with nice fresh towels.Nothing to complain about. Would stay there again with out hesitation

Room Tip: Select a front room on any level above one
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear 77Samuels, Thank you for taking the time to write a brilliant review after you recently stayed with us at The Darlington Hyde Park. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay including our location, friendliness of the staff, breakfast and cleanliness. Thank you so much again for all your kind words. We look forward to your next visit and I have passed on your kind words to my team. My warmest regards to you, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager
Chemainus, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had a room for stop over on the way home back to Canada. It was clean and perfectly fine for an overnight. Close to the train station so it was very convenient to get out to the airport on the Heathrow Express.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear IslandGirl5265, Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay in The Darlington Hyde Park Hotel. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we all here at the hotel look forward to welcoming you in the future. Kind regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager
Nicholasville, Kentucky
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Darlington Hyde Park wasn's as luxurious as our hotel in Paris, but we knew that. However, having a suite made it great to spread out.
There was not AC, but there were 2 tower fans in the room. It was also a safe neighborhood, and the front desk staff said that it was OK to leave our windows open at night. When we checked out, they tried to charge us for AC. Apparently they are upgrading rooms with AC in the bedrooms. However, once we said that our room didn't have AC there wasn't any issue of being charged for it.
The tub is very high. One needs to be careful getting in and out. It is also narrower than our tubs here in the states. I felt as if I was using a loofa on my body each time I used their towels. The bed was comfortable, but the linens were awful. I am a fabric snob, and the linens were too scratchy. I was so thankful that I had brought my own blanket for the plane and used it. There was no separate sheet. The only sheet covered the duvet, but it didn't bother my traveling companion. I have neck issues, and the pillow was too fluffy. Again, thankfully I had my own pillow that I had brought for the plane and used it.
Breakfast was quite yummy. I will crave their bacon and ham.
The front desk staff were helpful.
​Being able to connect to the internet was spotty. I was only able to do so the first night. My traveling companion was somehow able to connect a few other times. We asked the front desk about it, and they said that it was because so many people were on the internet. This was quite aggravating to me.
The Darlington is close to Paddington Station and several restaurants .
Although it sounds like I've only complained about them, I would stay with them in the future simply because they are close to the subway, and it being in a safe quaint neighborhood.

Room Tip: We were in room 205 which was at the end of the hallway. We never ran into other guests in our hall...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Connie D, Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Darlington Hyde Park on Trip Advisor. I was glad to read that you enjoyed our location, the breakfast, you found your room and bed comfortable, the front desk helpful and our free Wi- Fi convenient and easy to use. I am sorry that you found our linen scratchy and pillows too fluffy. We took your comments on board and please rest assured that we are trying to improve our linen and towels quality. The comment about air conditioning concerns me the most. Air conditioning can be booked in advance at extra cost. If there is no air conditioning booked, we do not charge the guest anything extra apart from the accommodation or some extras like telephone call or special coffees at breakfast if there are any during their stay. Accept my apologies for this misunderstanding and if you would like to discuss it further with me, please do not hesitate to contact me at dominika@darlingtonhotel.co.uk. I once again thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay with us and I hope you will consider returning to The Darlington Hyde Park in the future. Kind regards, Dominika Gozdzik, Hotel Manager