“Very good for the price”
Review of Europa House Hotel

Europa House Hotel
Ranked #828 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Make no mistake, this very basic accommodation. Location is exceptional as it is just a five minute walk from Paddington. Breakfast is very good as is the internet, but ask for the password at the desk on check-in. After that the property reflects the price. Dated furniture, ceiling fan not functioning (no air-conditioning) shower curtain was a chore to close, toilet took minutes to refill, hallways were noisy during the day with the doors slamming and the bed and furniture were dated and very basic. Still, for a few days the combination of price, location and quality internet and breakfast make this very good value for the money.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Arrived at 7am, room wasn't ready which was ok because check in wasn't till 2pm anyway. They stored our baggage and we went for a walk. Close to Paddington station ( 5 min walk), Oxford Street (30 min walk) and a great walking distance to restaurants and pubs. Upon checking in found the room ok in size but amenities in poor condition. Toilet was hard to flush, shower was very small and the shower taps were held together by white silicone. Paint falling off the walls and found alot of mold.
Despite bad points for a cheap stay, great breakfast, close to tourist locations, it could be worse.
Recommend 1 to 2 nights stay max.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed for 1 night for a couple of days shopping and visit to Madam Tussauds. Travelled by train, hotel less than 5 mins walk from station. £6.50 taxi to Oxford Street. Yes basic accom, although we booked for 2 had a room with double and 2 singles with room to spare. En-suite shower was small,but adequate, plenty of hot water,towels and soap for 4 people.Beds were for us comfortable. Tea making facilities were again for 4. So nothing was taken away because there were only 2 of us. Everything was clean, particularly en-suite. Breakfast was again basic but no problem. The dining room was spotless. They looked after our cases until the evening,when we caught the train back.Nothing was too much trouble. Good B&B in a great location. Walking distance to a good selection of restaurants and pubs. Will stay here again
in the autumn for our next shopping trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shopper1002014
Reviewed 19 May 2014

There are a lot of negative things that can be said -the paintwork is old and chipped, wardrobe some 1950's utility piece, small room, no curtains, some cobbled together shutter affair which looked like it had been made out of old khazi doors. And we had to use my walking stick to keep it open. All very amateurish. And god help you if you get put on the top floor, despite when I booked months earlier requesting a decent size room and not too many stairs due to a heart bypass! However, the bedding was clean, ditto the towels, the room was cleaned daily. The staff were great, they seemed to do a lot of different jobs, Polish I think, very friendly and helpful. No night clerk so there was possibly a security worry. I was staying with a mate, we were in town to see a concert, so twin bedded room, so when you think we had two nights for £140, that's £35 a night with breakfast, it is very cheap and therefore you can't expect the Ritz! If i had paid 130 quid a night for me only, as some others had, then yes, i would not have been a happy bunny.The breakfast was excellent, good service and a filling start to the day, extra tea / coffee / toast if you asked, could not fault it, great value really. Despite the negs, on balance I would use it again, handy for Paddington and also the Albert Hall. But only at the right price.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not stay in the higher numbers, around 14 to 17!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I booked this hotel for my daughter and her friend who needed a city centre hotel for a function they were attending at a budget price. Looking at the reviews for other £40 a night hotels, they were scary to say the least. I chose this based on an average score across the reviews. Their report back was that it was a nice place to stay. The booked a double, but were upgraded free to a family room. They found the room clean and with everything they needed. The breakfast was good and they had no complaints. The only criticism was that the heating was too hot. It seems that 20 years old have no idea what a sash window is and how it opens, but figured it out in the end and cooled the room down. They report a good experience and useful location (20 mins walk to Oxford street) for a few nights stay.
Cost of room via Trivago £42.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank N9eav
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I visited London for the weekend with my 7 year old niece. I wanted something cheap and close to a tube station and was very pleased with what I got at this hotel. We arrived around 10pm on Friday night and the gentleman on reception was very friendly. He checked us in quickly, provided info on where the room was and when and where breakfast would be. The room was exactly what was needed, there were 2 beds, wardrobe, bathroom, TV, hair dryer and kettle. Yes, there was a little bit of peeling paint but it was clean and I was very happy based on what I had paid. The staff were friendly to both of us at breakfast the following morning and the food and drink provided was lovely. We stayed here 2 nights and had no problems and I would definitely stay here again. In fact, my niece made me promise we would stay at the same hotel if we go back to London again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mikaela B
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Chose this hotel as my usual hotel in Sussex Gardens was not available. As will all london hotels in this street, old building, no lift, small rooms, basic room to just sleep and shower. My shower did not work and they changed room. Mix of cold/hot in shower not much better but at least i could take a quick shower. However, staff in reception very helpful and they do try. it is basically due a renovation especially of their bathrooms. Was in London for a shopping trip and access to WEstfield and Oxford street is great. 5 minutes from Lancaster gate underground and great access to Paddington for Heathrow Express.

Room Tip: Single room at the very top had problems with mix of cold/hot water. you either frooze or scalded y...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo