“Clean but beware the bedbugs” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairways Hotel

Fairways Hotel
Ranked #832 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Kent, UK
“Clean but beware the bedbugs”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2007

The room was a decent size and generally clean, though had that slightly grotty old feel many budget hotels in London have. Windows opened, which was a plus seeing as I stayed there for the two days of summer we had in 2007. Good location. Perfectly adequate, or so I thought.

I saw a couple of bedbugs on the last night and complained to the receptionist the next day. She was very rude and couldn't care less. That day I started to develop bite marks all over me - a week later they hadn't gone and I had over 200 lumps all over and was in agony. Three months later, I still have a few scars and scabs from them.

Overall, reasonable budget hotel in decent location and near to tube stations, etc, but cleanliness of the beds left a lot to be desired. Book with caution.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bed bugs
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
2 Thank MrsOverall666

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Finnish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2006

I don't know who Jenny and Steve are, and quite frankly I don't care.

What I wanted was a cheap hotel with easy walking access to the centre of London for New Years Eve, and that's what I got.

It was nothing special, but was a safe secure place for me to leave my stuff and sleep at night.

Only real complaint is that of the 2 single rooms we booked mine smelt baddly of cigarette smoke.

• Stayed January 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2005

I stayed here this weekend and found it to be quite good. The location is excellent and I didn't find it particularly noisy. There are lots of good places to eat and drink round the corner, and transport links are excellent.

We had to check in at the reception desk next door and the staff were friendly enough. It was perhaps a little impersonal, but they were certainly approachable and polite.

Our twin room was nice and clean with a balcony, an old tv set, and a sink. Our toilet and shower were out on the landing. My only complaint was the lack of hot water in the shower, which was disappointing when we were pleased with everything else about this hotel. I had to have a cold shower first thing in the morning which was pretty bad.

Otherwise, I would stay here again purely based on the price and location alone. We were free to come and go as we pleased with very little contact with the owners.

• Stayed December 2005, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2004

Our family have stayed in this Hotel with Jenny and
Steve a few times over the last ten years and found it quiet, friendly and good value for money.
If the hotel has been sold to the people next door
I sincerely hope they keep the same standard of service as the previous owners. If not-this is another family who will be looking for a London base.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2004

We began the first of many pleasant stays with Jenny and Steve at Fairways in 1987. Discovered it quite by accident and were attracted by the clean smell of furniture polish wafting out the front door. It was our London home-away-from-home. Very sorry to read in the previous review that Jenny and Steve have now retired. Good things always have to end.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Silver Spring, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2004

I stayed here about a year ago with my daughter and we both loved it.
Our room was small but cute and clean. The owners, Jenny and Steve, went out of their way to make us feel welcome and served a delicious breakfast. However, when I recently went to book this hotel again I found that it had been sold to the hotel next door. I guess the owners retired so I would never book it now. I just want to warn people to be careful.

3 Thank Dyann301
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2003

Friendly staff but very noisy

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member