“Surprisingly nice”

Ranked #314 of 1,067 Hotels in London
EXMOUTH
“Surprisingly nice”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Last minute Olympic ticket success meant I had to try and find somewhere close to the central or jubilee line for me to walk back to on my own at 1am! When I checked in, I was told I would be in a different building around the corner. This was fine. The receptionist walked me to the other building and showed me to my room. The room was great. A little compact but how much space does 1 person need in a single room? The bedding and fabrics in the room were of good quality and comfortable mattress too. My room (303) had air conditioning and a flat screen tv. There was a fancy multi jet shower in the bathroom but unfortunately not all the options worked!

Overall good value for money £55 including breakfast. The breakfast room was a little cramped though. Only a few tables so if everyone came down for breakfast at the same time there may be some issues!

Would reccommend my room again without a doubt. I just wish it was available and at the same rate yesterday but instead I had to stay at the awful bayswater inn hotel - one definitely worth avoiding!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Vaderswife

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed in Rhodes with my wife for 3 nights. Don't have much experiance with London hotel, but comparing to rest of europe this was an average place, standards more like B&B. Rooms were clean but smal.Bathroom nice and quite modern compering with the rest.Staff are nice, especialy breakfest service made our days:) Excelent location,close to subway station.few minutes walk to Hyde park.Overal a nice place to stay.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cassius83
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Just stayed for 13 nights absolutely loved it wish I'd booked more time wouldn't stay anywhere else ! If you love heavy buffet style breakfasts were you attempt to get value for money by over eating. You won't like the breakfast, you won't like the stairs and you will find the rooms smaller than you might need! Staff are lovely it's so close to Paddington and to some of the most beautiful parks I've ever had the pleasure to walk in. Road noise is only an issue if you dont shut the window and put on the air conditioning.
Honest accomadation ! Honest people !

• Stayed August 2012
cardiff
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Welcoming and pleasant hotel, one block (5 minute walk) from Paddington station. Same distance to Lancaster gate tube.
Stayed for two nights whilst watching the olympics. Comfortable room with very nice massage bath.
Reception staff very helpful, Continental breakfast was satisfying, Plenty of toast, croissants, yoghurts, cold meats, Juice, tea and coffee. The gentleman who served breakfast made a lovely fuss of our 3 year old boy and gave us a great start to the day.
it's always a leap into the unknown with London Hotels, which range from outstanding to grim. The Rhodes was a nice surprise, and would gladly stay there again on the strength of the welcome and the proximity to Paddington.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Athens
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Rhodes Hotel is a hotel that I have visited in the past but I never stayed there because I could never find availability. This time, although my trip was a last-minute one, I was lucky enough to find accommodation!

The best thing of Rhodes Hotel is its location. It's just a 5-minutes walk away from Paddington Station, Praed Street (where you can catch a bus to almost everywhere in Central London), London and Spring Streets (with the shops, restaurants and cafes) and Norfolk Square (a wonderful place to take a break from traffic and noise).

The second best thing is the rates. Taking under consideration that the hotel has facilities such as flat-screen telly, refrigerator, renovated bathrooms with power showers and 24-hours reception (and a door that opens only for the residents), then the prices would be considered from moderate to cheap.

The third best thing (although quite an important one) is the kind, helpful, always-with-a-smile staff. They will greet you with a wide smile, carry your luggage, tell you that you look beautiful even if you are wearing 4 jumpers, a cardi, a scarf and a pilot hat and offer you cream tea to make you less sad because you're leaving.

Now, on the downsides. The rooms are very small. The room for the first night of my stay was a standard twin. OK for one, not OK for two, unless they have none or just one piece of luggage. With the exception of the bathroom (which had a heated floor) the room was unbelievably cold. That was because the radiator (which was switched off by mistake) was behind the heavy window curtains. Even when I asked them what was wrong and they did switch it on and I opened the curtains, the cold was still there because there was cold wind coming in from the window.

The second day I was moved to a superior double. Needless to say that the staff moved all my luggage and, had I wished, they would repack it as well (since I had unpacked some for my first night) but I preferred to pack myself.

The superior double is a great option for summer, since there's a balcony (great for smokers) but do beware of the fact that you might wake up and find a stranger smoking outside your window. This room was also on the small side but with a very nice and functional bathroom. The problem with the cold was still there though. There was cold wind coming in from the window (thank God the radiator wasn't behind a curtain this time) and the heating wasn't on for as long as needed. I solved the problem myself by getting me a fan heater but I think that if I hadn't done that, I'd probably end up catching a cold or worrying about catching one.

Both room and bathroom were extremely clean! The toiletries were of very good quality and the tea/coffee tray was refilled everyday! The fridge and kettle were always spotless clean (you know how sometimes we find the... traces of previous guests), they seemed brand new!!!

I can't comment on the breakfast since I never tried it. It was included in the room price but I'm not a fan of basement breakfast rooms and I had my breaky at near-by pubs or cafes.

On the last day, I left my luggage at the hotel from check-out till 5pm, with no problem at all (and no charge).

Do keep in mind that although there are rooms of all sizes (there's even a family room for five!) there are no deluxe or superior twin rooms. The only option for two people who do not wish to sleep together is the standard twin which is quite small and I wouldn't recommend it for more than a couple of nights' stay. Also, there are rooms on the third and fourth floor and no lift.

In general, Rhodes hotel is probably the best value-for-money hotel in London and its location is certainly unbeatable. I can't wait to stay there during the summer. I'm sure that sitting on that balcony, on a warm night, with a glass of Pimms, watching the world go by and thanking God for being in London again will make a wonderful memory...

Note: I do understand that for some people the problem with the heating sounds more than “minor” but it was solved easily with the fan heater and it was a rather cold period in London. Keeping in mind that other hotels in the area, that advertise themselves as 3-star ones, have problems with security, dirt and various bugs (according to the reviews that I read on TA), I still consider Rhodes Hotel a great low budget option.

Room Tip: If you;re a smoker, ask for a room with a balcony. If you can't climb stairs, ask for a room on...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2012

couldnt get in to my usual hotel so looked around and came across this place.rooms very clean and spacious with new powerful showers and tv.car parking at hotel on a first come first served basis.continental breakfast served each morning ( full english if required at a charge ) and staff very helpful.only one drawback,the hotel has no lift but im sure if needed staff would help with baggage.will be back im sure.

Room Tip: if you have trouble with stairs ask for a room as low as possible to the gorund
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Location = easy walking distance between Paddington Station and Hyde Park. On central line tube (Lancaster Gate)
Value for Money = yes the room was compact, but we were not in London to stay in the hotel room - including breakfast £110 for 3 of us - bargain!
Friendly = great staff

It is independent, has family rooms (bunk beds!), ideally for visiting London and we will be back.

Room Tip: We were on very top floor - 87 steps wouldn't be ideal for everyone
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family