“Good value for central London and friendly staff”
Review of Rhodes Hotel

Rhodes Hotel
Ranked #348 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Most affordable accommodation in central London tends to be impersonal chain hotels. The Rhodes is anything but impersonal; a friendly welcome when we arrived, willingness to carry our luggage to the room (and down again after our stay), attentive service at breakfast. The location of this hotel is excellent, being three minutes walk from Paddington main line and tube stations and many bus routes, with many reasonably priced restaurants also nearby; while it is situated on a tree-lined avenue and set back from the road which minimises traffic noise. The only negative is one we were warned about on the website: there is no lift. We were allocated a fourth-floor room (although they did attempt to find us an alternative, without success) which would be problematic for anyone who found stairs difficult. The room was small but adequate, the bathroom minuscule, but everything clean and well-cared for. They are currently replacing the dated floral-patterned carpets with wooden floors, which is an improvement.

Room Tip: Ask for no higher than the second floor!
1  Thank Urbophile
Write a ReviewReviews (1,461)

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Located walking distance from most major attractions and close to underground.
Clean and nice, although smallish, rooms.
Great service.
Nice place for a kosher traveller - walking distance to some kosher restaurants and a sinagogue

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I've stayed in several hotels in the Bayswater area and the Rhodes hotel is the best one I've found so far in this price range.

You should understand before you travel that at this kind of hotel, the room and bathroom will be quite small, the floorboards will probably creak and there might not be a lift, so be prepared to carry your luggage up some narrow flights of stairs.

You need to look beyond those things: comfortable bed, clean bathroom, good heating, convenient location between Paddington & Lancaster Gate stations, good quality buffet-style continental breakfast included in the price, friendly service, fridge in bedroom, free Wifi. Frankly - what more do you need?

We stayed in the annex part around just around the corner from the main hotel - even closer to the Victoria pub and the Spice of India indian restaurant!

I won't hesitate to try and stay here again the next time I come to London.

1  Thank Andy13870
Reviewed 6 February 2014

The Rhodes Hotel is a standout among budget London hotels. It's evident (as you can read in many of the other reviews) that the owners truly care about their business, as you can see in their attention to detail. The staff are friendly, responsive, and helpful. The rooms themselves are shockingly modern and clean, quite a constrast to the typical London budget hotels which are frequently run-down, cramped, and dingy. By contrast, the rooms in the Rhodes are generous in size by London budget standards, and the bathrooms are also larger than is typical. Travelers from the US would find the rooms small, but they are more than comfortable, and intelligently and tastefully laid out, and larger than most of the other budget hotels in London. The attention to detail is wonderful --- for instance, in my room, the bathroom has blue floor lights that come on automatically by motion sensor, there are large mirrored walls in the bath, everything is sleek and modern and up-to-date. Most budget hotels have just a tiny, cramped shower --- my room had a small but full jacuzzi bathtub! Even the sink is a beautiful, contemporary design. There's a wireless remote control for the climate control system which includes an air conditioner (also unprecedented for budget London accommodations). The beds are new and comfortable with great back support, and very clean. There's a small mini-fridge, a hot water pot, a small closet for hanging clothes and a wide and long work desk with plenty of outlets, and a modern flat screen TV.

I happened to stay in one of the basement rooms (noted by another reviewer as unsatisfactory), but I found it beautiful as I noted above. It is true that you can easily hear people in the hallways but I didn't hear anyone in neighboring rooms or above me. The breakfast area is right down the hall but the conversations there were not particularly loud even though my room was close to that area.

The staff was wonderful --- I had checked into my room after walking all over London carrying my backpack (I had to meet someone straight after landing), and I got a calf cramp right when I got to my room. I asked the front desk if there was any place I could get a banana (potassium!) and he went and got one for me from the breakfast area. The hotel also accommodated my request to change my reservation type prior to my check in for no charge. Excellent service.

I only have a few minor complaints. Wifi is free and it works, but the signal and speed/reliability of the connection was a bit spotty at first. When I reported this issue, the front desk rebooted the router and things did improve. There was an Ethernet port in the room and a cable, but it didn't work (front desk said that there probably was a wire connectivity issue, they hadn't noticed it since most people these days use wifi). I find these faults relatively forgivable since internet connectivity in other budget hotels is often much worse. The breakfast was fine --- cereal, yogurt, fruit, juice, toast, coffee/tea, though the croissants were not really croissants --- skip the croissants and just have toast. There is an available English breakfast for a mere 6 pounds, which I did not try. Finally, I borrowed the available iron and ironing board but the iron's steam function didn't really work --- it was clogged. The front desk apologized and said he would investigate and buy a new one if he couldn't get this one to work properly. They did have other irons but they were lent out already.

These are all minor nits, really, the overall picture is an excellent hotel, well worth the money, and far above the usual budget London standard. Travelers from the US, beware: what people call a "three star" hotel in London would barely qualify as a one star in the US. But this hotel rises above. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I just stayed the one night (late January) as I was doing business in the area earlier in the day and, as I had an early morning flight from Heathrow the following day, I passed on the breakfast. So I cannot comment on the food offering. The hotel, to be honest, is a bit rough around the edges, some cracks in the walls, some of the wallpaper hanging loose, carpets that have seen better days. However, it was a clean enough hotel, the room was comfortable and everything worked although I initially had problems with the free Wi-Fi. My only negative observation was the lack of an elevator. So, if you were on the top (4th) floor like I was, you had to negotiate a narrow, winding staircase.
But, for me, the Rhodes greatest asset is it's location: Hyde Park, Lancaster Gate tube station and, if you're into shopping, Kensington High Street is within walking distance! Lastly, great value for money. I only paid £59.00 for one night and, based on the location, was well worth the money. However, I suspect at the height of the summer holiday season the hotel's room prices will rocket!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ipoian
Reviewed 25 January 2014

i recently stayed at the Rhodes hotel and had a very pleasant stay the staff were brilliant and very helpful the rooms were nice and clean and i had a comfortable sleep, the breakfast was also very nice,the location off the hotel was brilliant close to the lancastergate tube station and just around the corner is marble arch and hyde park,oxford street and all off the London tourist sites.
The Rhodes hotel is also close to some nice restaurants and bars i will be booking again next time i am working in London a massive thank you to the staff at the Rhodes hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dean F
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

The room was small with a big bed which was not so bad. Very comfortable. Pretty clean overall. We stayed in the hotels second building which was actually pretty nice. There was no lobby area but it was very quiet. So many stairs to reach out third floor room. The breakfast that was included with our room was not satisfactory. We ate a little to be polite and then had a better meal elsewhere. Overall it was pretty good for 100$ a night.

Stayed: January 2014