“Good price for the location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rhodes Hotel

Rhodes Hotel
Ranked #306 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cardiff
“Good price for the location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2008

We wanted a tidy place to stay in London that didn't cost a bomb and this fitted the bill. Its location is great - you can easily walk to the West End, Notting Hill, Westbourne Grove and Paddington but there is plenty of public transport nearby too. The owners are really friendly and helpful. We had a basement room which was tiny, with an even smaller en-suite but it was clean and everything worked.

• Liked — Location and friendly welcome.
  • Disliked — Tiny en-suite.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank merched

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
colibri13
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2008

Stayed for three nights in ensuite quad on first floor for 2 adults and 12 and 17 year old grandkids. Two single beds and one double. Room and bathroom small but very clean and functional. Owner Chris and son very friendly and helpful. Good location near tube and Paddington Station. Plenty of restaurants in the area and safe location. Good value for the money considering how expensive London accomodations are. I will recommend with no reservations.

• Liked — Cleanliness of room and friendly and helpful attitude. Quiet location near tube, train station and restaurants.
  • Disliked — No lift. Older travelers with problem climbing stairs should request room on main floor.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank colibri13
Olen, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

We booked this little hotel for 5 days and it was excellent!
We stayed in a superior double room, with jacuzzi en small terrace. The badroom was magnificent and the room and hotel were very clean.
The owners were very friendly, we had a lot of questions, but they always helped us out!

• Liked — Firnedly & Clean
  • Disliked — /
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank exCiteBE
Grimsby Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2008

My husband and I spent three nights at the Rhodes. Chris the owner was a wonder host. Although the room was small it was very very clean and very comfortable. The location was excellent, within walking distance to main roads, Hyde Park and Paddington station. An excellent value!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeslieL
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2008

SUMMARY:
A1 location. Annex building Rooms are tiny but clean and Good for wkend stay or London stopover.

1) Booking process -
Flawless. Contacted them directly via email. Only small complaint is that because of a delay in making the payment (my fault) my booking was changed from its main building to its "annex building"

2) Location -
A1 location in central Paddington. Also approx 5min walk from the station.
I stayed in the "annex" building which is located approx 2mins away from main building, but still no dramas. The location of this place is the main highlight !!!

3) Room/facilities
I stayed in the annex building so cant say what the rooms & facilities are like in the main building.
But POSSIBLE issues i could see people having problems with the annex building are:
(a) no elevator (b) no air con (c) one bedroom room is tiny (d) bathroom is tiny ie i had to get changed after a shower in the bedroom because i couldnt in the bathroom.
I will say that the beds are clean & comfy. There is free wireless internet which is great.
I spent $3pound to try out the english breakfast and would say that this isnt worth it.
I personally didnt have a problem with the rooms, but i can see how people could.

Would definiltey stay here again on my next stopover, but not if my partner was with me.

• Liked — A1 prime location.
  • Disliked — nothing!! it is A1 prime location!!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2008

My husband and I recently spent 5 nights at the Rhodes Hotel. We stayed in room 216 - I decided to splurge a little bit and reserve a double room with a balcony. I'm glad that I did since the rooms are fairly small and it was very nice to have that extra space and the view of the tree-lined street was a pleasing sight at the end of a long day. I was also very happy with the renovated bathroom with jacuzzi tub - also nice at the end of a long day of sightseeing. We were also very pleased with how helpful and friendly Mr. Crias was to us - spent significant amount of time giving us advice about buses, restaurants, etc. The included continental breakfast was also very good and sufficient. In addition, the location was very convenient - close to Paddington, Hyde Park, etc.

One more thing, if planning a trip to London and staying at the Rhodes Hotel, please see my review for the nearby restaurant - Connoisseurs Indian Tandoori - don't make the same mistake as us by going there. That was before receiving Mr. Crias' restaurant recommendations.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, quiet, well-appointed, beautiful balcony, jacuzzi tub
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything at the moment!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bailey6325
Calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2008

We did not stay at this hotel but were treated VERY RUDELY when trying to cancel our reservation over one week prior to our scheduled arrival date.

About 10 days before our trip, we decided to cancel the London leg of our travel because of the chunnel fire which affected service on the Eurostar. Because of the tunnel closure and reduced train schedule, Eurostar had emailed us and asked for us to please cancel our trip unless it was deemed "essential" travel. Since we didn't want the hassle of delays and possibly missing other travel connections, we decided to cancel our 3-day London leg.

I emailed Chris Crias, the owner, on Thursday morning from my office and had not heard from him by Friday night (the day before we would leave for Paris). Naturally, I wanted to confirm that he had received my email and that our room was successfully cancelled before i headed out for vacation (where I will not be available by email!)

I phoned and he (Chris Crias) answered . I told him I had emailed him and wanted to confirm he received my cancellation. He was completely rude and said "so what do you want?" and I said (nicely) that i simply wanted confirmation he received my email cancellation. He did not ask my name but simply said angrily "I am very busy - I do not have time for this", so I said, "well can you look at your emails and confirm that you HAVE received our notice?". Then he raised his voice and began to LECTURE me about how busy he was and what do I want from him and all this [-].

I simply couldn't believe it! How completely and utterly unprofessional. I have never been treated so rudely by anyone in a very very long time.

I would NEVER stay at a hotel where the owner treats people he doesn't even know (and who call with a SIMPLE, relevant question) so terribly rudely. What a JERK!

P.S. I STILL do not know if my cancellation was received properly and hope that I am not charged for this room and that I receive back my payment. Otherwise, he will be reported to the police.

• Disliked — The hotel is run by a RUDE arrogant unprofessional jerk with a giant chip on his shoulder!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family