“Nice and affordable hotel”
Review of Rhodes Hotel

Rhodes Hotel
Ranked #316 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Sweden
“Nice and affordable hotel”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We thrive excellently well at Rhodes and always try to stay there when we are in London. Location is good and the accommodation comfortable. We like the breakfast and the owner's personal and caring style. Often he offers a pleasant conversation and something extra to eat!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Daleflod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel with our 3 children. There were no hidden surprises. Everything was how it was shown on the website. Central location, very clean hotel, friendly and helpful owner and staff. There are no lifts but the receptionist carried up the heaviest bags for us. It was a very pleasant experience for our family.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank jcdmalta
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I was in london for my first time in the middle of March
Staying at the Rhodes hotel made my stay that much more special in all aspects.
Location was great walking distance to almost anywhere in the city and the paddington station only a couple of minutes away where you can get a train to anywhere including the airport.
I cannot say enough about the rooms as far as comfort and cleanliness.
The staff also make you feel very welcome and go all out to make your stay one to remember.
Looking forward to visiting london again and will only stay at the Rhodes hotel

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank eli b
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I and our two teenage children recently stayed here for 3 nights during our European vacation. I was pleasantly surprised at the location, in a lovely tree-lined street in what seemed to be a mostly residential area, with a great selection of restaurants and a terrific pub nearby. Very short walk to the tube (Lancaster Gate) and the stop for the on-off bus tour. 2 minutes walk to the beautiful Kensington Gardens. The room was small but had everything we needed and we were only there to sleep anyway. I was delighted that not only did the bathroom have a bath, but a SPA bath! Very welcome after a long day walking around. Stefano at Reception was courteous and helpful both before and during our stay. A terrific budget hotel. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so keep that in mind when asking for a room as the steps are quite steep with...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank katrinad
Dublin
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I have lost count of the number of times we have stayed but would not dream of going anywhere else. Chris and Maria are so welcoming and genuine. They always go the extra mile to be helpful. Also I must mention Stefano and the others on reception who were so nice.courteous and helpful with luggage etc. Hopefully we'll be back soon.
Thanks to all

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank ItaDublin
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My parents and I stayed at this hotel for an additional night in London after a two-week long Globus tour. Our original London hotel, the Doubletree Hilton at Hyde Park, couldn't accommodate our extra night.

Immediately upon arrival, I found that the hotel felt more like a hostel than the other, larger hotels in the area--it was more informal, much smaller, and slightly kitschy (not necessarily a bad thing). The young man working at reception was polite upon check-in, though I don't believe he so much as cracked a smile during the 10 minute interaction.

My parents and I were in room 217, at the very end of the hallway on the ground floor of the main building at 195 Sussex Gardens, which contained a double bed, a twin-sized bed, and a pull-out leather love seat (I was told in my confirmation e-mail that I would have a room in the annex building and was never made aware of a change in the booking. It didn't bother me in the least, though I would have preferred to receive some kind of notice about a change). The hardwood floors were nice, but the bathroom was itty-itty-bitty (I'm a size 8 and had to shuffle and spin to get ready for my shower. Both the faucet and the shower have the best water pressure I've experienced in London, though). All of the appliances were dated but functional, and the most modern thing about our room was the TV.

The room was clean, the mattresses and bedding seemed clean (after a traumatic experience elsewhere in the world, I always do thorough inspections upon arrival), and the bathroom was tidy as well. I did find an earring on the floor that did not belong to anyone in our party (it wound up gouged in the bottom of my bare foot--ouch!). There was a single window tucked into a nook by the bathroom, and the window opened into a very small inner courtyard, so sunlight was limited in the room. The visual appeal wasn't great--chipping lower wall paint, marks on the upper walls, horrible orange bedcovers, visible plumbing in the bathroom--but the room was functional and relatively clean.

Other than the rogue earring, the AC in our room made a creaking/wheezing sound every few seconds, which made it difficult to fall asleep (it was stuffy in the room, which meant the noisy AC was the better of two evils). I also found several bits of broken, black plastic in and around my bed, which was a little off-putting.

Breakfast was downstairs in a cute but very cramped room. It was sub-par at best. The pastries were stale, the yogurt was Tesco brand, and the coffee was blechhh. There was some fruit that my mother enjoyed, three cereal options, and the breakfast attendant made us toast. My dad--the least picky eater I know--said it was "edible but not enjoyable." It certainly won't hold you if you're planning a heavy day of sight seeing.

I do feel that the hotel builds itself up in the website descriptions. While the proprietors and website emphasize the"charm" and "elegance" of the building, I wouldn't necessarily describe it as "charming" or "elegant." There were smelly trash bags sitting in front of the hotel entrance upon arrival and throughout the day, and the rooms were very basic but functional. There's some cool carpeting in reception, but that's more "quirky" than "elegant." My mom said it was "dated" but "quaint." Alas, we agree to disagree where adjectives are concerned.

On a somewhat positive note, the staff was relatively friendly and accommodating from the moment I booked the hotel. When booking, my card was declined due to my bank's policies safe-guarding against fraud (all international purchases result in a block). Niaz was very understanding and re-ran the card after the block was lifted. Also, upon arrival, the man in reception arranged for an airport transfer for just £38, which was by far the lowest transfer quote I found. My dad commented that the on-site interactions with staff were "no-nonsense" and "quite terse." I preferred to call it"efficient," though, admittedly, it wasn't as warm and welcoming as we are used to.

As for interaction with customers following their stays, I was looking at some of the 2-3 star ratings on TripAdvisor before posting this, and I was appalled by the hotel personnels' responses to the lower-starred reviews. Whoever was responding to the reviews was aggressive and blatantly annoyed by the criticism. In response to that, I would like to note that the above observations are my honest opinions based off the services I received during my stay (I'm writing this the day of check-out). All information I've given has been accurate and all comparisons I've made have been between the Rhodes and comparable hotels (based on location and price range). I'm a paying customer and will not be berated or bullied for my opinions of a sub-par hotel experience. If the hotel can't take criticism, too bad. Don't tell guests that they could've paid more to stay somewhere better, because A) as a frequent London traveller, I know for a fact that travelers can also pay less for better, B) it shows bad customer service and C) it's just plain rude. I took a chance booking with Rhodes, hoping for a wonderful hotel. I was quite disappointed with my decision and it's not one that I will make again. If I had read the hotel's responses to reviews containing criticism before booking, I would have spent my hard-earned money elsewhere. Good customer service means taking criticism in stride and striving to make guests' experiences better, not getting offended and attacking honest opinions with snide comments about room dimensions and catty remarks regarding semantics.

Last, but not least, the "free wifi" in the room didn't work worth a damn during the entirety of our stay. When I asked at reception, the attendant tersely advised me to sign on to the "RhodesHotel" option instead of the "rhodeshotel" one. However, the former wifi network disappeared as soon as I left the lobby area. I ended up successfully signing into a different hotel's wifi with the same password that the Rhodes Hotel uses (tried it on a whim, it worked).

As for the price tag, I paid $313 USD (180 GBP) for a one-night stay in a triple occupancy room ("triple en-suite"). While the location is relatively convenient (a few-minutes' walk to both Lancaster Gate and Paddington tube stations), I was aghast when I saw how basic the room was, especially when comparing the hotel with our previous hotel just down the street, which was slightly cheaper and much more modern, well-equipped, and--to be honest--much more comfortable. My parents said that it would have been fine for something in the $150 price range, but $300+ dollars? No way.

In short, I think it's an acceptable hotel if you're looking for a convenient location and a basic, no-frills stay and are willing to pay a pretty penny for both and can't find anywhere else to stay. If you want bells-and-whistles and fair pricing, you will want to look at some different options. When I return to London next, I will definitely book with another one of my previous hotels.

Overall, a thoroughly average experience and rather disappointing for the price.

Room Tip: 217 has a single window tucked into a nook, which provides virtually no sunlight. It also has a bath...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lindsay S
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Great location for a music event in Hyde park. We stayed in a twin in the annex. Couldn't fault it. For £99 the beds were very comfortable, the aircon brilliant, little fridge very handy, plenty of tea and coffee, shower worked perfectly. We didn't bother with the breakfast. Overall would recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2014