“Great 6 days there...”
Review of Rhodes Hotel

Rhodes Hotel
Ranked #358 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 February 2009

We juz love it! Stayed with families for 6 nights there, it's a great B&B with excellent location and the friendly service!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank nilnehc
Write a ReviewReviews (1,481)

Reviewed 7 February 2009

I've traveled quite a bit throughout the world and I have never felt more at home at a hotel than I did at the Rhodes. Mr. Chris and his wife Maria were wonderful. I arrived at the hotel in the mid-morning (around 9:30 am) and he called the housekeeper to make up my room immediately so I could settle in right away! How many times does that happen?!
The room had two twin beds (what I requested) and was a very good size room for a place like London. The bathroom was small but very nice --including a heated floor. There was a large closet and the room included a small refrigerator (not always easy to find).
The price of the room included breakfast where eggs, toast, cereal, fruit, yogurt and ham and cheese were all available. While I was in the dining room, I saw that Mr. Chris was more than happy to accomodate another guest's special request. If you're looking for gourmet food, you might not be happy but I did not walk away hungry and was very happy with it all.
When it was time to go home, I had to leave very early in the morning (5:00 am) and when I said my good-byes to Chris and Maria the evening before, he offered to make up a sandwich for me for my breakfast! He not only gave me a croissant sandwich but also fruit! I was very touched by the hospitality that they offered.
The hotel was very clean, comfortable and centrally located. I won't be staying anywhere else whenever I return to London - they have spoiled me! The hotel is only a block from Paddington Station so catching the Heathrow Express is very easy. The neighborhood felt safe and there were plenty of places to eat or to get something for take-away (including 2 places within Paddington). The post office was nearby and there were at least 2 banks nearby.
I must say that I'm reluctant to review the Rhodes since doing so will make it more popular but I highly recommend the Rhodes.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 17 January 2009

Dissapointed!!!!!!!! I wish our family was like the many who actually experienced the family room. Yes the rates are good for London if you are a family but I would have preferred to be told that the "real" family room was not available and that what we were being offered had liitle to no room and was not really suitable for a family. After trying the room for a hour or tow and then asking if more was available I was made to feel uncomfortable by the gentleman to the point we made sure we spent as little time as possible at the hotel.

Our Family was Mum and three teenagers housed in a room with a double and bunks. The owner was informed of the childrents ages at booking time. Except for on the double bed there was not a space to even open a suitcase. We would go outside to the corridor open our case and get what we wanted, leave the case outside locked untill we went out or to bed and then bring them in. If there was a fire in the night I could not imagine getting our easily as we would have to fall over each other as well as suitcases. Needless to say you could not even walk between the beds. Add on the fact that the famly room is on the top floor with a small staircase then make sure your family is all capable of going up and down themselves or Mum and Dad will be tired.

Put this aside the hotel was very clean. Water in the bathroom hot. The breakfast room on the other hand was very cold. If you intend to spend any time dinning than make sure you wear your coat. Maybe this is so you don't stay long and eat much. The breakfast was very average. Not your typical continental breakfast at all. The service was quick and friendly howerver unfortunately the room was so cold that by the time you spead your honey on your toast it was cold.

I guess basically not a great experience. Out of seven weeks of travell through Europe and England this was our biggest dissapointment. Does not compare at all to other hotels.

Locations is excellent. Lots of easy access to anywhere in London. Lots of local resturants, corner stores for bits and pieces and a Laundry close by.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
8  Thank wedidit
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We just got home after a week in London with six nights at the Rhodes Hotel. For anyone who's familiar with small hotels and B&B arrangements in large cities (we are - after doing a 3-week Rick Steves tour of Europe), this is a delight and an authentic, personal experience. It isn't a Holiday Inn, and if that's what you want, well . . . I'm sorry for you.

The location, along Sussex Gardens, is convenient, safe, and charming. I stayed in this area 30 years ago, and it hasn't changed much. The road is filled with small hotels and lots of foreign tourists as well as dozens of small inexpensive restaurants and pubs. It is three blocks from Paddington rail station and two blocks from either the Paddington (Circle) or the Lancaster Gate (Central) tube stops. Also, several bus routes run along Praed Street just 100 meters away from the Underground station at Paddington, including the #15 bus that travels the heart of the city through Piccadilly and Trafalger Square before going on to the Tower of London. Anyplace in the city can be easily accessed from the Rhodes as a base. The coldest holiday season in decades wasn't conducive for strolls in Hyde Park, but that is only five minutes away, as well.

We actually made our reservations for the room very late and were almost disappointed. We sent an email to inquire about vacancies and were told there was a triple room for my wife, me and our daughter. By the time we made up our minds the next morning to stay at the Rhodes, someone else had booked "our" room with their online system. After several more emails back and forth, Maria called me in the States and we discussed our options. She offered a quad family room for half our stay and told us she could put us up in two singles (one with a larger bed) for the rest of our stay. As it turned out, that was fine. Our first room was on the fourth floor, and they would have taken our bags up (no lift), but we were used to this type of traveling. My wife thought she'd miss her time at the gym while we were abroad, but this was great exercise. It was a hike to go up five flights to brush our teeth after breakfast, however. That level should definitely be reserved for people not eligible for senior discounts (like me).

The rooms, though typically small by some American standards, were adequate and not overly cramped. The plusses were that everything was spotlessly clean, the water was hot and well-pressurized, there was a refrigerator and the niftiest little hot water kettle I've ever seen for tea and coffee PLUS a hair dryer and an ethernet cable for your computer. As others have pointed out, there is a computer station right outside the breakfast room, which was used quite heavily when the hotel was full.

If you go in the winter, make sure you wear a sweater or coat to breakfast. The heat doesn't seem to migrate below the ground floor. Breakfast was very satisfying with three cereals (including granola that my wife said was as good as any she's ever had), OJ, coffee, a pot of tea, toast, rolls, yogurt, ham and excellent cheddar slices (including some of the family's Christmas ham on Boxing Day and beyond). Chris, the owner, sits down and talks to everyone at breakfast, while Harry (a young man who seems to be a 24/7 employee and is wonderful to everyone) will cook an English breakfast of eggs, ham, beans, fried mushrooms and sausage (remember - this is more like an American hot dog) for an extra three pounds. Breakfast was a daily social event and a chance to meet some of the other guests, who were from America, France, Spain, Sweden, etc.

The family atmosphere was palpable. Chris has run the Rhodes since the late 70's and is always trying to upgrade something. It's a family business with a family flavor. Maria works the desk all day and does all the reservations and financial work. Chris is around at breakfast and at night. They both were anxious to give you tips about how to get around (ABSOLUTELY get an Oyster card for all your bus and tube trips; it's simple and wonderful - and you can get your deposit and unused money back while you're waiting for the plane back at Heathrow). One of the highlights of our trip was coming back to the hotel on New Year's Eve after the theater. We were planning on going back out to a local pub for a drink, but Chris and Harry invited us into the little sitting area for wine and Champagne while we watched a show of Greek music on the tele (as well as a lot of plate-smashing). We stayed through midnight and the fireworks on the London Eye, and didn't break up until almost 2 am. We were also treated to the Kalamata olives that Chris prepares himself with olives and ingredients from Greece.

Overall, we did exactly all the theater, museums and other sights that we expected to do. Staying at the Rhodes, however, made us feel as if we were visiting family instead of just staying at a hotel. And, did I mention that Maria gave us the two separate rooms for the price of a triple? It was a bargain and then some.

• Stayed: December 2008
5  Thank willgal
Reviewed 1 January 2009

London is expensive for tourist class hotels, so in that context this is good value for money, because there are probably few alternatives to match this. On arrival the very extrovert owner offered us to upgrade to a superior room for half the upgrade cost, which we accepted. The hotel is weirdly furnished, both in the public areas and in the rooms. Sometimes fun, sometimes a bit too random. The blue floor spotlight in the bathroom was over the top. The bed was very hard, as seems to be the standard in the UK.

The facade was being redone, so it is hard to say whether noise is a problem under normal circumstances.

There was an online computer for free use by guests in the basement - nice touch. The owner was helpful for restaurant recommendations and candid opinion.

We arrived late for the pretty average breakfast, so it could be that it is better for those who get there on time.

All in all a decent deal in an expensive market.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hallvard7
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We stayed in London at the Rhodes Hotel for 3 nights as the first leg of our visit to the UK from Singapore.
I booked through the hotel website after reading the many favourable reviews on Tripadvisor. One of the main reasons for choosing this hotel was the fact that they have family rooms - there are 5 of us in our family and booking 2 rooms at a hotel gets a bit expensive.

We had a 5 bed family room on the 3rd (I think) floor. As already mentioned there are no lifts but we did get some help with our bags.
The room consisted of one double bed, one single bed and a bunk bed. Ofcourse our 2 youngest enjoyed the bunk beds.

The location is great, and we managed to get from Paddington station on foot. Hyde Park is also a short walk away and a walk there was 'refreshing' after just coming over from the tropics.
Breakfast was nice - my son and I went for the cooked breakfast on the first day - to keep out the cold during our walk later.

We were at the hotel during our sons birthday and unfortunately one of his cards only got to the hotel a few days after we had left, but we were contacted about this by the hotel who then forwarded it to the address I gave them. Really nice of them to do that after we had already left.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank slimboyfat06
Reviewed 21 December 2008

The Rhodes Hotel was ideally situated for the purpose of our trip which was to visit one of the European Embassies in Belgrave Square, the journey took us about 30 minutes by public transport.

We were very impressed by the friendly reception and our room and breakfast at the Rhodes and hope to return there early in 2009.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business