“Independent and Friendly Hotel”

Searcy's Roof Garden Rooms
Ranked #667 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Houston, Texas
“Independent and Friendly Hotel”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Usually when travelling for business I stick with the larger hotel chains (e.g. Hilton, Westin etc.) however I wanted to give this place a shot - Was not disappointed at all. The staff was very friendly and explained in depth my room and breakfast ordering process. Yes the rooms are on the small side but this is Knightsbridge, London you are staying in. The elevator entrance is pretty neat and they still use standard keys to lock/unlock rooms. Overall would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 14 across from reception - Heard some voices here and there but not a bad room by a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Mike P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
UK
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here for a night on business, during which I was upgraded to a larger room (always a good start...)
The building is unusual - you go straight into a lift from street level. I was met at the door, checked in, shown to the room, explained how to get in and out of the hotel and offered a drink of tea or coffee. I found the room very comfortable, its on a quiet street, so not too much noise considering it is central London.
A continental breakfast is served in room, I was very happy with the presentation and quality of the breakfast. I found this place very friendly and relaxed.
The only thing that let it down was the bathroom had a shower head, but it could not be attached to the wall and there was no shower curtain, so a bit awkward having a shower without getting water everywhere.
I'd stay here again if I was in Knightsbridge and the room rates are very reasonable when considering alternatives in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ads102
Ormskirk
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Went here for a 4 day weekend with my partner and we booked a suite.Picked it as always find hotel rooms a little claustrophobic for more than 1 night and was recommended to us.
Thought it was a great location, really spacious, traditional, comfortable warm & clean- would use again & highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JASM1NE
London
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Do not let the elevator ride to get to reception pout you off, this is a very hospitable place. They gave me coffee and pastries on the terrace while they got my room ready. Breakfast - you get to pick what you want and it arrives exactly at the time you specify. Rooms are small but functional. No bar of soap, just shower gel, which was a bit odd. Quiet, clean, convenient – good value. Definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank GeorgeA202013
Sydney
Reviewed 12 August 2013

If your don't mind the pre-war alike elevator then this little tucked away hotel right behind Harrods should be prefect for a shopping holiday. It is only about 3 mins walk to Knightsbridge tube.

I have stayed in this hotel a couple of times. Their single rooms are in general very compact. It is just enough for one person but sunny, clean and tidy. Water system may not be most effective as hot water take at least 5 mins to come after turning the tap on. Elevator has been accurately described by many others - somewhat outdated but I personally find it rather interesting.

Front desk is one of the friendliest teams I have come across in London recently. Great servicing mindset and I love the can do attitude. Admittedly, it is not one of those typical hotel setup. Reception is hidden away on 3d floor behind closed door. This, however, has not prevented them from offering the attentive service.

In room amenities are of very good quality ranging from towels, toiletries to drinking water. Do note there is no room dining service.

Thank you Searcy's roof for making my stay a pleasant one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the ancient elevator. The door slamming can be very loud.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Keeley E
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I've stayed at this hotel off and on for several years. My stay there this year was very disappointing. We had booked a certain room and had a information as such but were quickly told we would not be staying in that room. Indeed, the messenger looked at us like we were crazy. Too bad we had left the email with the verification at home. Further, the hotel had reduced its rates for one of the nights we were there but when we asked for the same rate we were again treated as if we were insane. Also, elevator and front door were not working properly so it was extremely difficult to enter the building. Finally the breakfasts that are included in the stay have always been such a treat but not this time. I won't go into the details but my breakfast on the final morning was inedible. What a change from the charming establishment we used to love.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Virginia G
SRGR, Manager at Searcy's Roof Garden Rooms, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that your stay with us this year was disappointing.

My biggest concern was as to why you have not stayed in the bedroom which was promised, so therefore I have processed an internal investigation. Following up all the correspondence , - I believe you have decided to extend your stay arriving 1 night earlier from your initial date. Since your requested room was not available for the whole length of your stay, we have allocated you in a different room, which I can reassure you is the nicest and most demanded by our regular guest. It was also allocated on the top floor, overlooking peaceful side of roof top terrace.

I can also reassure you that the elevator is working as usual and I am afraid I am unable to locate the problem why you were not able to enter the building easily as all our guests have their entry keys and also reception team here is operating 24/7 for any kind of assistance.

I am also sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the breakfast on your last morning and I wish you had have addressed it to us immediately so we could rectify this problem. It is very unfortunate that this was not address to my attention as I am not able to get any details of what was unsatisfactory. I can reassure you that my team and I are always open and welcoming to any guests suggestions and requests as it helps to constantly monitor and improve our services provided. I would also like to advise you that my reception team is not involved in accommodation price arrangements or discounts and I am sure they were doing their best to explain their position and field scope. Meanwhile, I can confirm that we have granted you the same accommodation deal as previous year and we were hoping this would be appreciated.

I am indeed saddened that most of those concerns were not address to me immediately so we could talk and resolve them avoiding any disappointment. Having said all I want to thank you for your continuous stay with us and I hoping of your return some time in the future.

With kindest regards,
Neringa Zutautaite

Roof Garden Bedrooms Manager
Abuja, Nigeria
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I was in London for two nights on business, and wanted an affordable hotel in Central London. After a significant amount of time online, I found Searcy's, which got good reviews, was very reasonably priced, and extremely well located. I enjoyed my stay. I thought the hotel was comfortable, clean, and had very good staff. My room was a little small, but that is standard for London. One of the best parts about the hotel is that a free breakfast is included, and is delivered to your room every morning. The breakfast was very good, and it was a really nice way to start the day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business