“Don't ignore this lovely accommodation”
Review of Roof Garden Rooms

Roof Garden Rooms
Ranked #660 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 April 2014

It was a last minute decision to stay in the centre of London after a show that led us to book this accommodation. Do not be put off that this is not a traditional hotel - entrance is via a private lift directly from the street. There is no dining room but what is here is can be summed up as a really comfortable place to stay - beautiful rooms, brilliant attentive staff and a warm welcome. All amenities are there for you - toiletries, bath robes and hairdryer. Continental style Breakfast is chosen from a comprehensive list before midnight and brought at a time that you specify to your room or served on the roof terrace (a bit too cool for us!). Our breakfast was very substantial and had everything we could need. A return visit is certainly in our future plans.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ProperOfficer

Reviewed 3 March 2014

This hotel is a hidden gem in the heart of Knightsbridge behind Harrods. It is very good value being reasonably priced and very comfortable. It is in an ideal location on the Piccadilly line, one stop from the major museums of South Kensington and, in the other direction, three stops from Leicester Square and the theatre district.

Previous reviewers have complained about the access to the hotel which is via a lift. The lift is now fully operational again and, while this is an unusual feature, it adds to the overall charm of the place. It has all the usual amenities: nice toiletries, hairdryer, trouser press, safe, TV and very comfortable beds. It is on a quiet street so a good night's sleep is guaranteed.

A generous continental breakfast is served in the room and the cup of tea on arrival was very welcome. There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

The main strength of this hotel is its staff, who are enthusiastic, cheerful, friendly and helpful as well as being efficient and thoroughly professional. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank jeannine k
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I have stayed here many many times over the years and have ALWAYS found it wonderful. The ladies in the office are unfailingly polite and charming - oh, and not forgetting the sole young man!! The last reviewer complains about the lack of a lift. He, like me, was advised of this in advance so he really could have waited till he was advised that it was operating again. I am 64 and did not find it a nuisance in any way. The cynic in me thinks it was a ploy to get a reduction on his bill. I didn't, but I'm not complaining. Can't wait till my next visit in June.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank sarnian2
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Made a huge mistake last week by staying at Searcy's. Arrived to celebrate our 10th anniversary to find that the lift was not working and our room was on the Fourth floor. The lift had been out of action for a month and was to be still non operational for another two weeks. Given that access is only normally by lift we had to use the kitchen entrance the service staircase and then the plastic protected main staircase to our room which adjoined the lift room and the engineers..... Why the hotel did not close for six weeks beats me. And while closed Room 9 could have been completely redecorated, the bathroom could have been refitted for the 21st Century with the Edwardian taps/shower mixer replaced with thermostatic modern fittings and with a new WC to replace the Victorian or earlier example more suited to the V&A.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael07802
SRGR, Manager at Roof Garden Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

Once again I am very sorry to hear that you had an unfortunate stay at Searcys Roof Garden Rooms due to our entrance lift being under repair and out of action. May I kindly once again bring to your attention that we have informed you of this situation prior to you signing your reservation form. The same week that you made an initial enquiry we were informed that lift works are progressing very splendid indeed and might only need 4 weeks to be finished ( it started on the 6th of January). As you probably could imagine any major reconstruction and engineering works might need an extra time to be fully finished and ready to operate.

Please also kindly be advised that all rooms on the top floor are most spacious and desirable ones by our regular guest. My intention allocating you there was not to upset you, but to make you happy and as far away from engineering work area as possible to avoid any disruption to your stay. It is very unfortunate that we only have 1 entrance, once the bedrooms lift is out of action, which is via the back of the kitchen / house. I can only apologise that you did not enjoy walking via the back of the house. Additionally I remember asking you numerous times if you need help with your luggage on arrival and also my colleague offered his help on your departure, however was refused. My team and I always take extra step to make sure our guests are happy and get any assistance needed, however we tend not to intrude if you prefer otherwise.

I totally respect your wish the bathroom to be modernised to fit 21st century, however we preserve our original instalment features to reflect our traditional style.

Additionally as a gesture of good will we have processed a substantial reduction for the inconveniences that you have been informed prior to your arrival. We have taken into consideration that you have stayed with us for 2 nights and I am very sorry to hear that you have raised your concerns only on your departure.

Once again I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Searcys Roof Garden Rooms due to the lift being out of action. May I wish you all the best with your future stays in London.

With best regards,

Neringa Zutautaite
Roof Garden Bedrooms Manager

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I needed a place to stay as close as I could get to Knightsbridge and on short notice. Stumbled on Searcy's when searching through another website and I booked based on feedback.

I got upgraded on arrival and was given a lovely double room. Service was helpful and friendly, I couldn't have asked for more. Great value, great location and no compromise.

Room Tip: I didn't try the restaurant or fitness centre, so can't comment on them.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank VS1711
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Usually when travelling for business I stick with the larger hotel chains (e.g. Hilton, Westin etc.) however I wanted to give this place a shot - Was not disappointed at all. The staff was very friendly and explained in depth my room and breakfast ordering process. Yes the rooms are on the small side but this is Knightsbridge, London you are staying in. The elevator entrance is pretty neat and they still use standard keys to lock/unlock rooms. Overall would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 14 across from reception - Heard some voices here and there but not a bad room by a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here for a night on business, during which I was upgraded to a larger room (always a good start...)
The building is unusual - you go straight into a lift from street level. I was met at the door, checked in, shown to the room, explained how to get in and out of the hotel and offered a drink of tea or coffee. I found the room very comfortable, its on a quiet street, so not too much noise considering it is central London.
A continental breakfast is served in room, I was very happy with the presentation and quality of the breakfast. I found this place very friendly and relaxed.
The only thing that let it down was the bathroom had a shower head, but it could not be attached to the wall and there was no shower curtain, so a bit awkward having a shower without getting water everywhere.
I'd stay here again if I was in Knightsbridge and the room rates are very reasonable when considering alternatives in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business