“Great B&B”
Review of Thanet Hotel

Thanet Hotel
Ranked #482 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my parents, it was the perfect choice for us! we took the tube from heathrow, it was fast cheap, the hotel is waking distance from tube station, British museum and covent garden, i really loved the area of the hotel good restaurants and lovely buildings around!
the room was perfect for the 3 of us, clean and comfy, the bathroom was small but clean.
the breakfast was GREAT, food was always fresh and hot, we really enjoyed everything,
this hotel have a very charming and cute vibe! next time that Im in London i will stay there for sure!
the price, service and location is unbeatable!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank patty05
There are newer reviews for Thanet Hotel

Reviewed 13 August 2012

This is my 3rd stay at the Thanet (I believe) and I just wanted to give an updated review from a year ago. I stayed with my 8 year old niece this time for the Olympics and the hotel is still an ideal option for the location, price, quality and service. The prices haven't changed since I was there a year ago and the quality and options for breakfast have remained the same (both are great). The staff hasn't changed, although, there was a new gentlemen that checked me in who was very friendly. And it still has that overall family style feel to it.

The metro is a quick walk through Russell Square park. And even with the Olympics going on (so a bit more car and foot traffic in the area) it was still a very quiet and safe area. Also, I never mentioned this before (forgot) but the hop on hop off tour bus stop is right at the end of the street. Within walking distance to the British Museum. Not a lot to eat in the area but enough options to not get bored. We grabbed Subway 1 afternoon and ate in the park. It was very relaxing to watch the kids and dogs play in the little water fountain area. Also, there is a Tesco right outside the metro station that stays open until a decent hour.

I've told myself that I really do need to stay at another hotel when in London just to get a new feel but at the same time this 1 is so accommodating that I don't know why I'd waste time researching a new hotel. Like the saying goes... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If I had to give cons (to be fair and balanced) about this hotel the only things I could honestly think of are #1 the small shower, #2 no air conditioning #3 no lift (elevator): But in a small hotel like this (think Bed & Breakfast) a small shower is pretty standard. There is no air conditioning (that I'm aware of) but London gets so cool at night and they provide a fan in every room that it really isn't a big deal. And no lift BUT they carry your bags to your room for you and if you have a problem climbing a lot of stairs then request a room on the ground floor. I've stayed on all 3 floors now and there is a total of 56 steps to the top floor (according to my 8 year old niece who decided to count them, twice. LOL)

Room Tip: - Request a 1st floor or ground floor room if you have trouble climbing steps. - The rooms are smal...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank NJGirlvTheWorld
Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Thanet in two stints while visiting London for the olympics. Very convenient location! Close the tube and national rail services. Good value hotel. Nice full breakfast. We stayed in triple rooms and found the barrooms to be clean and ample.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank gjcooke
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We have been staying here every time we visit London over the last 13 years. Probably at least 7 times and we will be back. The owners are extreme helpful and accommodating and have a very professional staff managing the place when they aren't there. The location is ideal in that the British Museum is only a short walk away and the Holburn underground station isn't much farther away. Also a direct bus into Trafalgar Square is just around the corner. The only caution would be if you are a light sleeper. There can be a bit of street noise in the evening on the weekends. Not a problem for us but some might find it bothersome. If so ask for a back room.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank robert e
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This is a very pleasant hotel in a wonderful location. We could not think of a better place. We had the family suite and this was great. The breakfasts are of a mag nicest standard. And a great way to start the day all you could want and more. The staff are very helpful with many great suggestions for fully packed fun days in London. We could not have been happier and out three children enjoyed it enormously. We would certainly stay there again

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank neilbidgood
Reviewed 1 July 2012

we stayed 3 nights in may 2012 & thoroughly enjoyed the thanet hotel. the cooked to order breakfast, as well as cold offerings, was very complete & nice, in a lovely little breakfast room. the staff were all so helpful, the neighborhood was great & close to the british museum, etc., the hotel was very clean & the room included a full bathroom in the room (some bed & breakfasts don't) -- quaint & not modern which we liked, quiet street, close to transportation, good restaurants nearby, large umbrellas to use if it rains, a reading room with complimentary computer use, etc. the owners are onsite & make it a very comfortable & pleasant stay.

Room Tip: we liked our first floor room, especially with luggage.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The hotel is in a back street row of Georgian terrace houses, much of which has been converted to hotels. The building was built in the 18th century so has lots of history to it. The price and location are hard to beat, but it’s a pretty basic lodgings, so don’t expect a 5 star hotel.

They serve a quite reasonable breakfast in the mornings. The usual selections of cereals, porridge etc as well as a full cooked English breakfast, all included in the price. This is one of the best features of the hotel. Be aware though that breakfast doesn’t start til 8:30am on Sundays so if you’re planning an early start to the day there wont be food available.

There is also free wifi, but it’s not available in all rooms and is temperamental in its performance. Despite advising staff that the Internet wasn’t working they had an overly relaxed attitude to the issue. But as I said, this isn’t a 5 star hotel.

The rooms are small but adequate if you just want somewhere to sleep, and they are bigger than some of the other budget hotels like an Easy Hotel. The bed in our room was only a double, not sure what the others have.

The one big negative is the stairs. There is no elevator and it’s 3 stories from entrance level to the top. As this is a multi story building, if you’re staying on the top level be prepared to put on the mountaineering gear because it’s a fair hike to the top level, particularly if you’ve got luggage that’s any bigger than a back pack. The stairs towards the top are also very narrow, which reminded me of the climb to the top of St Paul’s cathedral. If you have any mobility difficulties I’d strongly recommend a lower level room.

So, great location, good basic breakfast and a good price for the location. Just a lot of stairs for the weary traveller.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple