The Sanctuary House Hotel
Good 3.5/5
  • Room Service
Excellent 5/5
1,484 results
All reviewswestminster abbeybig benjames parkpub downstairsfullers pubgreat locationjames tube stationlondon eyefresh milkthe ground floorfirst floorsmall hotelcharming hotelquiet at nightfull english breakfastturn down servicea stones throw
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I've stayed at the Sanctuary a few times when I've needed to be in that part of town. Usual Fuller's mediocre "contract" mattresses but tolerable.

Impressive looking proper AC unit (unusual in London) in the room though I didn't try it.

Provision for working in the room was very poorly though out. The work chair was a cheap, wobbly, worn-out, armless piece of junk with no back support. It was placed at the only part of the desk/sideboard with knee room, but that part of the work surface was cluttered up with coffee making stuff and what not.

There was a fridge - how exciting - but containing just 2 small bottles of water and was completely boxed in so unable to function efficiently.

OK bathroom, on the small side. Difficult to shower without wetting the floor. Stupidly over-complicated shower plumbing. Why do hoteliers think simple, easy to control showers are down-market? OK toiletries with another common problem: printing on the containers too small for over-40's to identify without our specs.

This time I had time to stay for breakfast so I thought I'd give it a try.

It was OK-ish but I won't bother next time. The fresh boiled ham was a nice idea but it was way over-cooked and very tough. The tea was absolutely awful - I suspect made in a cold pot with not-freshly drawn, not-freshly boiling water and poor quality teabags. Here, for the benefit of Sanctuary management and anyone else interested, is how to make proper breakfast-time English tea:

(1) Heat the teapot by putting in boiling water, leaving to heat, then discarding.
(2) Use freshly drawn, freshly boiling water and pour it immediately over the tea leaves/tea bags in the pot. Don't use "stewed" water that's been sitting around or re-heated.
(3) Use good breakfast tea: any good strong assam/kenya blend. PG, Yorkshire, Twinings are OK. Brooke Bond Choicest is my own favourite. Loose leaf is much preferable.
(4) If the customer asks for an extra teabag, put it in the pot when you're making the tea, don't bring it separately.
(5) Offer full cream milk, not just the ubiquitous skimmed. (People think skimmed milk in tea is healthier. Nonsense. It destroys the natural antioxidants in the tea.)

(I'm making a fuss on this occasion because in a pub-with-rooms a stone's through from Big Ben, you should expect decent tea!)

The bar is a cheery place to meet and entertain colleagues. Very good beer. I suspect the food would be good.

Very pleasant, cheerful, helpful staff throughout.

Room Tip: They only have 30 -odd rooms so book ahead if interested
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank John Gilmore
SanctuaryHouseHotel, General Manager at The Sanctuary House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Mr Gilmore,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts of our hotel. It saddens me to hear that the tea you received was not of your liking. It is unfortunate that on this instance we were unable to deliver the Sanctuary House Hotel high standards and please accept my sincere apologies for any problems you may have encountered in your room.
I do appreciate that you noticed our cheerful staff and how helpful they always are and I do hope you will come back for our outstanding cask condition ales and engaging service.

If you would like to discuss this matter further please contact me directly.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

When I was looking for a London Hotel - I was first put off by the high room rates - I then found the Sanctuary House hotel - booked it for its location and rate - but I did have concerns that I was booking in a cheap hotel - over a pub ??? I was travelling with a teen age daughter do I really want to do this ? The Result was a near perfect stay in a Very nice little hotel - with great value. The staff was excellent - the room was great and the location as expected was outstanding. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I have to nag a little and not give 5 stars as in the morning I could hear the trash truck in the alley dumping what sounds like a bunch of bottles. This is my only qualm and it is a minor one - otherwise a near perfect stay. My "concern" about staying above a pub turned out to be an empty concern - you could stay here with your children no problem.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Robert O
SanctuaryHouseHotel, General Manager at The Sanctuary House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Rob,

Thank you for taking the time to recommend our hotel. We feel delighted by your comments and very satisfied that we have outclassed your expectations and you could nicely enjoy your stay with your daughter.
We feel honoured that despite the morning inconvenience you would like to return to us so we could do our best to make your stay a pleasant one.

Sol Yepes

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

This was the best hotel I stayed ever in London. Very nice people in service and bery good location Fuller's has very nice pub in the enterance. I made the booking via booking.com and there was a problem but they solved it easily. Highly recommend you too

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Zafer_dikmen
SanctuaryHouseHotel, General Manager at The Sanctuary House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear hotel guest,

We are really grateful for your lovely words.
The fact that you think of us as the best hotel in London means a lot to us.
Thank you for your recommendation, and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

This little hotel above a great pub is a must! First the staff there are great mates willing to help in anyway, there is one lady out of the entire staff I would say to avoid. So we won't walk down that road.
Rooms are small but very cozy. Beds are comfortable, and rooms are very clean. The bathroom is nothing fancy again it is clean.
Now walk out the doors of this nice hotel, turn to your right walk two blocks and there is Westminster Abbey. Gorgeous. Look to your right and you see Big Ben in a nice park setting. Walk further down the street and across the bridge and you are at the London Eye!
Now if you walk out of this amazing hotel and turn left. The walk is a little longer, I'd say 4-5 blocks not far by any means London blocks are not city blocks. You will arrive at Buckingham Palace. Get there by 11am to see the changing of the guards. Just another block north and you are in Hyde Park.
Now those of you booking tours around London they do not pick up from this hotel. Don't fret! Victoria Coach (bus) Station is only a10 minute walk away. TIP any tour you go on call ahead! I will go more into this on the tours we took.
When you get back visit with the mates down stairs, enjoy the atmosphere of just some laughs over great ales and some fish and chips.
Tips: there is no air conditioning not good for a hot month we opened the windows at night and closed them about 5am due to road traffic noise. We were lucky enough to be on the 1st floor up a small flight of steps. Elevators are very slow. Remember in UK ground floor counts as a floor. So ground floor is Pub first floor would be reception and rooms. Floors do creak it's a old place. But not enough to bother.
This secret place is a gem. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was the lady we had to deal with on a urgent personal matter. She was not helpful with a bitter attitude. Everyone else we came into contact with treated us with 5 star service! Will I return? You bet!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on 1st floor. Elevators are slow
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mzzlol

Dear hotel guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review.
We are deeply sorry if you felt that the mentioned lady was not attentive enough and did not provide the right customer service to you. If you would wish to talk more about this issue do not hesitate to contact us directly.
Also, we regret your experience about air conditioning, but would like to tell you that every room in our hotel was recently upgraded with the newest system of air conditioning, so you should not have any issues there. Please do get in touch with us directly for further details.
We hope that in the end you did have an overall pleasant stay with us, and we are looking forward to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

This place is said to be one of London's oldest and most fashionable areas. The Sanctuary House Hotel is a short walk from Westminster Abbey and Houses of Parliament.The Fuller's pub on the first floor is traditional, stylish and modern.
Rooms are very much your standard hotel type rooms with earthly coloured decor to hide the age. To their credit this hotel is great walking distance all major attractions and is fairly priced for the location. Its quite and off the main strip which is great for a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jaryd N

Dear hotel guest,

We really appreciate your nice description of The Sanctuary House Hotel.
It is wonderful to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us, with a good night sleep and enjoyable time in the pub.