“Small but adequate...”

Ranked #506 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Saugerties, NY
“Small but adequate...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I did my research beforehand, so I knew that the room would be tiny, as most London hotel rooms are, so it was as I expected it to be. Luckily, my daughter and I are only 5'1" tall, so this wasn't an issue for us. The hallways are extremely narrow, and the lift is itty bitty. We didn't spend a whole lot of time in the room, as we were out and about most of the day. The room itself was very clean. Very basic, no fridge. Only a kettle to boil water, along with some teabags and sugar. Two bottles of water were left each day. There was a hairdryer. The hotel itself is very centrally located...the Queensway and Bayswater tube stations are just a block over, maybe a 5-minute walk. It is. very, very easy to find your way around There are a bunch of restaurants, predominantly Middle Eastern/Indian just steps away. There are many souvenir shops in the area as well. If you walk a bit down the main Bayswater Road, you will come to Notting Hill, and there are more shops and restaurants there. The continental breakfast was perfect for myself and daughter, as we don't like a heavy breakfast...there was coffee, water for tea, pitchers of juices and water, fresh apples and bananas, croissants, breads for toasting, with butter and jams, cheeses, cereals and milk. Our view was out the back of the hotel, so it was birds, garbage, and shabby buildings. My only real complaint was how uncomfortable the bed was...it was creaky and felt old and I woke with a very stiff back each morning. The front desk staff was helpful whenever we needed anything. I would probably use this hotel again, as it is so centralized. I would recommend this hotel to others, as well, as long as it's understood that the rooms are very, very compact, but serve the purpose of a bed to sleep in at night after a full day out. I mean, one doesn't travel from the US to London to sit in your hotel room all day...too much to see....

Room Tip: Ask for a street-view room, or else you will get to look at huge birds and garbage
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sayed E, Owner at Comfort Inn Hyde Park, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your Review, it was most helpful,

I can assure you that the Hotel is going through a review of all Mattresses for the Beds and will be replacing them in due course over the period of 3months so this issue will be resolved and when you return hopefully you will find the beds most comfortable

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I called the hotel over 24 hours (but less than 48 hours) from when I was supposed to arrive because a last-minute emergency meant I had to cancel my trip. I explained the cause of the emergency, but they insisted on charging me the first night's fee anyway, because I was calling less than 48 hours before the reservation was set to begin.

I understand this is their right as it's within the policy, but a hotel that does not take their guest's circumstances to heart, particularly in the case of an emergency, does not scream hospitality to me. I travel extensively, and this is the first time this has happened. I would not recommend the management.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank NMNYC2014
Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Imagine a small room, a really small room and now cut that into half. That's how small the rooms are at this hotel. The location is great, a very short walk from the queensway tube stop. But with even a medium size bag, you really can't open it in the room and walk around..unless you are staying alone and have just a duffle bag as luggage, I'd give it a pass.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Cairo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is the second time for us to stay in this hotel the first timewas in December 2012 where me and my husband attended Christmas and New Year's Eve there; although the room was extremely small it was spotless clean and we enjoyed the stay very much. This time we were traveling with our kids and we booked the family room accommodating 6 persons. The room's size was ok but the bathroom is very small .The beds where comfortable. Actually the room daily cleaning was not up to my expectations as they do not vacuum the room well or change the bed sheets except if we ask for it but to be fair once I ask for that it is well done. The room floor is uneven ; the room is not overlooking the street but have a big window overlooking other room's window and the window of our bathroom ; I rarely open the room's windows cause they have much pigeon dirt on them in addition we have a pigeon nesting on the bath window where if u open it is staring at u all the time; it would have been a great problem if the room did not have an AC. The breakfast is basic having toast , jam , cheese , white and brown toast coffe tea corn flakes cereals and croissant but it is delicious and the dining area is spotless clean with an ice maker that is available 24/7. The staff is friendly a special thanks to Rasvan who prepared us our breakfast in person when we asked to have it before its normal time to catch a train. We didn't have a mirror in our bathroom and when we asked for one they left us a portable mirror of 15 cm diameter which was really useless. The hotel location is great very near to two underground stations and also around 15/29 minutes walking to Oxford street and 10 minutes walking to paddington station . It is just across the road of the hyde park where you can enjoy nice walks at any time. Just few steps you can find whiteleyes mall which have many shops . Behind the hotel are many coffee shops and restaurants with reasonable prices. The overall experience was ok we got what we paid for as the hotel have a good rate compared to London hotels . I would stay there again but I just want the management to give more attention to the rooms cleanliness as to clean it well without the guest asking for that.

• Stayed June 2014
Brockville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was aware of the small room sizes of this hotel through previous Trip Advisor comments. We decided to go with the hotel because of location. I was concerned before we arrived but I was very pleased with hotel in general. Yes, the rooms were rather small but they were clean and quiet. The breakfast was better than expected. It was a continental breakfast but did offer cold cereal, yogurt, juices, tea, coffee, toast and hot croissants. Staff were very pleasant and willing to help at all times. Desk staff helped with directions and location maps. They allowed us to check in early and leave our luggage which they moved to our rooms as soon as they were available. Beds could have been a little softer. There is a lift or elevator.

Room Tip: Choose location, compare rates and read Trip Advisor then there are no surprises. Makes for a bette...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Cockroach crawled out from under the bath mat! When we initially told the lady on reception she was shocked and asked if it was indeed a cockroach to cover up the fact they have problems (I've since looked into this further and there have been complaints of this in the past) we had our room changed as we needed to get to where we needed to be short after. The beds were awfully uncomfortable and needless to say we didn't take them up on their offer of free breakfast! The best part was checking out, when I asked for contact details to make a complaint the receptionist (manager?) soon turned sour, told me there wasn't a way to complain then gave a torn up piece of paper and told me to "email them or something" he has to be the most rudest receptionist I've ever come across...I know this is cheap especially where we were staying and I didn't expect to have a luxury room but cleanliness and good customer service doesn't cost much... I've called and emailed them since and I've yet to receive a response!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank bexstaaaa
Sayed E, Owner at Comfort Inn Hyde Park, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Bex 8810

I can confirm that historically there have been no such issues with infestation at the hotel branded Comfort Inn Hyde Park, only when under its previous management , "park lodge hotel"

However, we value bringing this to our attention and have taken immediate attention working with our pest control to eradicate the problem, To ensure this, they have come a second time for ensure complete eradication, and we ask them to do regular visit during summer time to ensure we keep the Comfort Inn Hyde Park at a immaculate standard, you will see from many other reviews that the hotel is generally reviewed a very clean and comfortable albeit a little on the small side,

We hope you can return and I believe you have been contacted by the Customer Relations team at the hotel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I chose this hotel for its fantastic location and low price (lots of sport activities at this time so it was half the price of most other budget hotels). I had read previous reviews about room space issues but as we were only staying one night I wasnt too bothered.
Upon arrival the chap in reception was pleasant and helpful. Our room was on the third floor and in the back of the building. The room was smaller that what I have stayed in before, but when all you need is to sleep in it, I don't see the problem. Windows opened fine, TV, Coffee/tea facilities a/c etc all good. bathroom was small but this is to be expected when fitting en suite into these old buildings.
We slept well and enjoyed the continental breakfast on offer the next morning.
Would definately consider staying again.

Room Tip: We stayed in 301.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple