“Great hotel, great location”

Comfort Inn Hyde Park
Ranked #494 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“Great hotel, great location”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My family (my, hubby, 2xteenagers) stayed here on the last leg of a 6 week overseas holiday. I read earlier reviews but the price was so good and I needed 2 rooms for 3 nights so I booked....and I am SO GLAD I DID !! Firstly the location - it doesn't really get much better for the price. Across the road is Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. You are a few metres from Bayswater Rd where the Hop On Hop Off tour buses pick up in front of the Thistle hotel. There are restaurants, take aways (incl McDonalds, etc), souvenirs shops two streets away. You are between two tube station. Talk about easy!! Now the hotel - I agree the rooms are small - probably half the size of a normal hotel room. But they are clean, the bathrooms are renovated and modern and the beds comfortable. Bonus free wifi and includes continental breakfast each morning. The staff at reception are friendly and efficient. We had a great experience and would recommend this hotel.
A tip - if you are a family and need transfers to/from Heathrow consider Airport Pickups London. 50 pounds one way for door to door service in a private car. Cheaper than Heathrow Express or a taxi; less hassle than navigating the tube with suitcases !!!

8 Thank MargieMB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hotel is OK. Location is good. Rooms are a OK but the bathrooms are small and an absolute joke. I have a camper with a larger bathroom. Considering the price I expected better. The breakfast is a joke. It is served in the basement and consists of some cereal, sad bananas and apples and some pastries. There is a coffee machine that spits out awful coffee (if you can manage to catch it in your cup). I would not recommend. I cannot believe how much I paid for his mediocre hotel.

1 Thank Jules26Edmonton
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Spent a week at Comfort Inn Hyde Park. Yes the rooms are small by American standards, but they're clean and more than adequate for the average tourist. The hotel's location is it's best asset: Queensway and Bayswater Tube stations nearby, Kensington Gardens & Hyde Park directly across Bayswater, plenty of shops, restaurants, pubs, groceries close by. Shopping in high-end Oxford Street area or funky Portobello Street Market walking distance from hotel. Front desk & hotel staff friendly and helpful. Priced right. Will stay here again in future!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StevieMyers
Phoenix
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I decided to go with the hotel as I got a 98 pound rate, which was a bad call. I can live with small rooms as that can happen at other name brand hotels and common in Europe.This was excrutating small. The check-in was professional, but their was a language gap, the Front Desk is cramped which is a bad sign. A house keeper kept running out and yelling at the front desk in another language. I had to leave my luggage and went to Bath for the afternoon. I asked if I could stow the luggage. They did, but it wasn't in a locked room, rather it was in the hall way. The front desk clerk assured me it would be safe.

Everything about this hotel had small and grunge attached to it. The carpets through the hotel had a dark dirty coloring. The elevator was small.

When, I returned that evening around 7:00P, my luggage was delivered to my room. There was no roomy for two people to move about in the room. You can see the narrowness in the room on the picture I posted and others. We had a window into an inner court which was littered with bird droppings on the outside. The bathroom lights didn't work. Before, I go further I will acknowledge that it was presentable, the WIFI was free and their was a selection of coffee and teas. I always amazed at hotels that cut corners with their most important item, the BED. This was a dated mattress on a wooden platform, which literaly creaked so loud that you couldn't hear the TV. The sheets were probably, 50 thread count which had a nice sand paper feel. I asked to be moved and was curtly told they were sold-out and they would not cancel my reservation if I decided to move hotels. So, I sucked it up since I selected the risk by others recommendations. I had to leave at 6:30A and breakfast started at 8:00A so I can't comment.

In my experience, it is better to pay a bit more. I will not return. The area is very busy. It is near two Underground stations and a 15 minute walk to Paddington, which was another reason why I choose the hotel.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and stay at a Thistle or another brand.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Escapefromthedesert
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I can only confirm what the others are saying:
Room - very small, we only slept there so no problem.
Clean - room, communal areas were all clean and kept clean.
Location - Great!
Value - I believe for the price, exceptional value.
Staff - Friendly and helpful.
Will I return? Definately yes.

1 Thank Nicky L
Saugerties, NY
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I did my research beforehand, so I knew that the room would be tiny, as most London hotel rooms are, so it was as I expected it to be. Luckily, my daughter and I are only 5'1" tall, so this wasn't an issue for us. The hallways are extremely narrow, and the lift is itty bitty. We didn't spend a whole lot of time in the room, as we were out and about most of the day. The room itself was very clean. Very basic, no fridge. Only a kettle to boil water, along with some teabags and sugar. Two bottles of water were left each day. There was a hairdryer. The hotel itself is very centrally located...the Queensway and Bayswater tube stations are just a block over, maybe a 5-minute walk. It is. very, very easy to find your way around There are a bunch of restaurants, predominantly Middle Eastern/Indian just steps away. There are many souvenir shops in the area as well. If you walk a bit down the main Bayswater Road, you will come to Notting Hill, and there are more shops and restaurants there. The continental breakfast was perfect for myself and daughter, as we don't like a heavy breakfast...there was coffee, water for tea, pitchers of juices and water, fresh apples and bananas, croissants, breads for toasting, with butter and jams, cheeses, cereals and milk. Our view was out the back of the hotel, so it was birds, garbage, and shabby buildings. My only real complaint was how uncomfortable the bed was...it was creaky and felt old and I woke with a very stiff back each morning. The front desk staff was helpful whenever we needed anything. I would probably use this hotel again, as it is so centralized. I would recommend this hotel to others, as well, as long as it's understood that the rooms are very, very compact, but serve the purpose of a bed to sleep in at night after a full day out. I mean, one doesn't travel from the US to London to sit in your hotel room all day...too much to see....

Room Tip: Ask for a street-view room, or else you will get to look at huge birds and garbage
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sayed E, Owner at Comfort Inn Hyde Park, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your Review, it was most helpful,

I can assure you that the Hotel is going through a review of all Mattresses for the Beds and will be replacing them in due course over the period of 3months so this issue will be resolved and when you return hopefully you will find the beds most comfortable
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I called the hotel over 24 hours (but less than 48 hours) from when I was supposed to arrive because a last-minute emergency meant I had to cancel my trip. I explained the cause of the emergency, but they insisted on charging me the first night's fee anyway, because I was calling less than 48 hours before the reservation was set to begin.

I understand this is their right as it's within the policy, but a hotel that does not take their guest's circumstances to heart, particularly in the case of an emergency, does not scream hospitality to me. I travel extensively, and this is the first time this has happened. I would not recommend the management.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business