“Cheap and cheerful”

Ranked #48 of 838 Speciality Lodging in London
York, England, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

First of all, note that they only take traveller's aged between 18-35 and they look at your passport on check-in. The rooms generally hold 6-8 beds in single-sex dorms. There was no secure storage in the room and when I went the safes in reception (seperate charge) weren't working BUT they happily kept my stuff behind the reception desk for free.

The staff are young, cheerful and very helpful - I saw one printing a girl's CV for her to take to interview. I had read other reviews that didn't like the cleanliness here but that problem did not exist for me, the loos and showers were pleasant and clean. The shower curtain was a bit too short so the floor got damp - be sure to hang your things up.

The prices are great. The hostel is ten minutes from Pimlico Tube station so you'll get to where you want to go. I stayed during the Olympics but it was obvious not everyone here was partying hard, I had no trouble getting quiet and sleep here. Be warned though, the rooms are spread over four floors and there is no lift! If you're travelling in a group they will try and keep you together. If you fill up a whole dorm you will have a great time!

Room Tip: Bring friends
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I booked this because the YHA hostels I usually stay in were full. I stayed here 3rd August 2012 for one night - in town for the Olympics like a lot of people.

Overall, I was happy with it. Building looks nice on the outside, bit shabby on the inside, but it was clean, which was the important thing.

I booked a bed in a 4-bed dorm which happened to have a shower in it. Literally, it's like someone just plonked one there, and although I didn't use it, the other girls said they didn't like it as you have to step out naked in front of everyone and they actually said they preferred using the communal showers upstairs for the non-en suite rooms as they offered a little privacy.

The room was small and cramped but I had enough space. I had a top bunk and it was clean and comfortable enough - I was out like a light, so that's a good sign! There's not much storage space in the room although there are cages beneath the beds, hanging space, and a little cubby hole per person (although I am too short to reach the upper cubby hole that was mine).

The check-in process was straightforward, although it was only on arrival I was told there was a £10 deposit for the room key, although I think you can actually leave your passport in lieu of this (I would not recommend anyone part themselves from their passport though!). I was not given a receipt for this but I got my £10 back the next day on checkout no problem.

I booked this room through Hostelworld.com and in total I paid about £17/£18 which I thought was a bargain for central London.

Transportwise this hostel is around the corner fom Pimlico underground station, which I would recommend using over Victoria, also the 24 bus stops just across the road and goes from Pimlico to Hampstead Heath via Victoria, Trafalgar Square and other points of interest. There don't appear to be many shops nearby but it could be just that I didn't spot any.

The couple of members of staff I encountered weren't overly friendly but weren't rude either. I can't comment on any other facilities as I didn't use them, and possibly my objectives as a 34-year-old British visitor were different to other guests' objectives - I just wanted a safe place to sleep, and in that respect it was perfect.

My overall opinion: I had a good stay, my roommates were friendly and no trouble at all, the hotel fulfilled perfectly what I required of it, but if I had a choice I would still book one of the YHA hostels, just personal preference.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LeafyOfNotts
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We really had a terrible experience with them. First they gave us the wrong key to the room we supposed to stay (3 times). The reason of this nonsense is that they gave us the wrong room, well that is fine but the thing is that they also charge us for this room (not cheap).

If it is our fault that we booked the wrong room, we are willing to pay for it. But the problem is that it is their mistakes. The shady thing is, they charge us WITHOUT our consent. We only found out about this charge after we got our credit card statement. We try to email them and talk sense about this matter and didn't get any reply.

For us, their "friendliness" is overrated. They only friendly to you when you have not pay.

Our advice is, PLEASE don't go to this place. There are tons of hostels on the same street.

Room Tip: Just don't go here. There are tons of hostels along the same street that offer far better servic...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Matthew P

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

This was an okay place to stay with decent location, friendly staff, and decent vibe. But the rooms were very small and barely fit six beds, the stairs are quite the hike to get anywhere above the second floor, and the whole place seemed very worn and rather dirty. To make matters worse, the WiFi does not reach the fourth floor, and in the morning the tiny showers were scalding hot, making a morning shower impossible. Everybody was there to party at night so it was a bit loud. I would not go back, especially for the price that they charge.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank prkrgrant
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I had stayed in the hostel a few years back and definitely liked it a lot more then. I was originally staying in another hostel called the Dictionary in East London but wasn't that impressed with it so thought I would return to more familiar territory. Unfortunately this wasn't much of an improvement. Standards of cleanliness had nosedived considerably and the staff were pretty much clueless. Oh well, it was worth a try, as I had always wanted to come back here at some point, but definitely won't be coming back again in the future !!!

Room Tip: Try not get a room on the top floor, they have NO elevators, so it's a LOOONG way up and a LOOON...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Lisboa
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I stayed there 4 nights, in a 6 bed room.
The room was just the size to fit 3 bunk beds, and a sink.
Under the beds there is space for one place it's stuff.
Staff was nice.

The hostel provides breakfast, nothing fancy but it feeds (milk, tea, and bread). I suggest you go early, because things starts to end. There is also a kitchen, with dishes and pans provided.

The location is good, very near from Victoria station (10min walk) and there is a bus stop just a few meters (there is 24h bus, which is good since the subway closes at midnight).

In my opinion the big problem was showers, that only have cold water.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tmob
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The only reason I stayed here is because it's close to the Haggis/Bus-a-bout office in Victoria. The second I got there I wanted to leave!! It just has a horrible vibe and weird set out. If I knew what I know now, I would have paid the extra money & stayed somewhere nicer or further away.
I'd like to say that this place is good to sleep and nothing else, but even sleeping here is difficult because everyone is SO loud. The bathrooms are dirty and run down, but on the bright side, the kitchen is really nice and clean. Someone also draws awesome murals on the dining room wall, so there must be a great artist that works there :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo