“Affordable hostel”

Ranked #53 of 860 Speciality Lodging in London
Hong Kong, China
“Affordable hostel”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We are 2girls that stay in this hostel.the location is ok if u dont have so many belongings,otherwise such long walk from metro.staff average helpful and the kitchen is fine.just not enough public shower rooms and toilets.and some guests made the toilets horrible too! However,everyday morning cleaning is appreicated.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Treviso, Italy
Reviewed 28 August 2012

It's the best hostel in London.
The staff it's very friendly like a family, you can't feel alone in the hostel!
It's in a perfect position, you can walk to buckingam palace, hyde park, st. james park and city of westmister.
The room are very clean, there are 21 toilets that are cleaned 2 times a day.
The safety in the rooms it's good.
The price are really cheap.
You can go to the pub crawl with the hostel and it's amazing and go back to the hostel with complete safety during the night.
When i come back to london i'll return for sure in Astor's Victoria Hostel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

It's a shame the staff don't make more effort here. The hostel is ten minutes walk from Victoria Train and Coach stations and five minutes walk from Pimlico tube station. The prices are reasonable given that the hostel is on a street where a basic single will probably set you back £60. For around £20 per night you'll get a dorm bed, access to hot showers and a common room and a free breakfast (3 cereals, toast, jam and coffee). Unfortunately the dorms in my experience are overcrowded, the toilets and showers are not cleaned frequently enough and the air conditioning is non-existant making sleeping in a fully-booked dorm in summer pretty uncomfortable. Only stay here if you have nowhere else to go and are looking for a lastminute central budget option.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

First of all, note that they only take traveller's aged between 18-35 and they look at your passport on check-in. The rooms generally hold 6-8 beds in single-sex dorms. There was no secure storage in the room and when I went the safes in reception (seperate charge) weren't working BUT they happily kept my stuff behind the reception desk for free.

The staff are young, cheerful and very helpful - I saw one printing a girl's CV for her to take to interview. I had read other reviews that didn't like the cleanliness here but that problem did not exist for me, the loos and showers were pleasant and clean. The shower curtain was a bit too short so the floor got damp - be sure to hang your things up.

The prices are great. The hostel is ten minutes from Pimlico Tube station so you'll get to where you want to go. I stayed during the Olympics but it was obvious not everyone here was partying hard, I had no trouble getting quiet and sleep here. Be warned though, the rooms are spread over four floors and there is no lift! If you're travelling in a group they will try and keep you together. If you fill up a whole dorm you will have a great time!

Room Tip: Bring friends
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I booked this because the YHA hostels I usually stay in were full. I stayed here 3rd August 2012 for one night - in town for the Olympics like a lot of people.

Overall, I was happy with it. Building looks nice on the outside, bit shabby on the inside, but it was clean, which was the important thing.

I booked a bed in a 4-bed dorm which happened to have a shower in it. Literally, it's like someone just plonked one there, and although I didn't use it, the other girls said they didn't like it as you have to step out naked in front of everyone and they actually said they preferred using the communal showers upstairs for the non-en suite rooms as they offered a little privacy.

The room was small and cramped but I had enough space. I had a top bunk and it was clean and comfortable enough - I was out like a light, so that's a good sign! There's not much storage space in the room although there are cages beneath the beds, hanging space, and a little cubby hole per person (although I am too short to reach the upper cubby hole that was mine).

The check-in process was straightforward, although it was only on arrival I was told there was a £10 deposit for the room key, although I think you can actually leave your passport in lieu of this (I would not recommend anyone part themselves from their passport though!). I was not given a receipt for this but I got my £10 back the next day on checkout no problem.

I booked this room through Hostelworld.com and in total I paid about £17/£18 which I thought was a bargain for central London.

Transportwise this hostel is around the corner fom Pimlico underground station, which I would recommend using over Victoria, also the 24 bus stops just across the road and goes from Pimlico to Hampstead Heath via Victoria, Trafalgar Square and other points of interest. There don't appear to be many shops nearby but it could be just that I didn't spot any.

The couple of members of staff I encountered weren't overly friendly but weren't rude either. I can't comment on any other facilities as I didn't use them, and possibly my objectives as a 34-year-old British visitor were different to other guests' objectives - I just wanted a safe place to sleep, and in that respect it was perfect.

My overall opinion: I had a good stay, my roommates were friendly and no trouble at all, the hotel fulfilled perfectly what I required of it, but if I had a choice I would still book one of the YHA hostels, just personal preference.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LeafyOfNotts
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We really had a terrible experience with them. First they gave us the wrong key to the room we supposed to stay (3 times). The reason of this nonsense is that they gave us the wrong room, well that is fine but the thing is that they also charge us for this room (not cheap).

If it is our fault that we booked the wrong room, we are willing to pay for it. But the problem is that it is their mistakes. The shady thing is, they charge us WITHOUT our consent. We only found out about this charge after we got our credit card statement. We try to email them and talk sense about this matter and didn't get any reply.

For us, their "friendliness" is overrated. They only friendly to you when you have not pay.

Our advice is, PLEASE don't go to this place. There are tons of hostels on the same street.

Room Tip: Just don't go here. There are tons of hostels along the same street that offer far better servic...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Matthew P

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

This was an okay place to stay with decent location, friendly staff, and decent vibe. But the rooms were very small and barely fit six beds, the stairs are quite the hike to get anywhere above the second floor, and the whole place seemed very worn and rather dirty. To make matters worse, the WiFi does not reach the fourth floor, and in the morning the tiny showers were scalding hot, making a morning shower impossible. Everybody was there to party at night so it was a bit loud. I would not go back, especially for the price that they charge.

• Stayed July 2012