“Not in keeping with the Global Standard, unfortunately”

YHA London Earl's Court
Ranked #68 of 823 Speciality Lodging in London
Portsmouth
“Not in keeping with the Global Standard, unfortunately”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Given my fond affiliation with YHA's, having stayed with a dozen or so around the world, it saddens me to find one which doesn't fit the standard which I have come to expect: and it's closer to home.

A small group and I met up for an annual conference and chose the YHA in Earl's Court as our base. The location is fantastic it must be said: a short walk to the end of the road and you're on the main stretch: full of bars, restaurants and a mere 5 minutes from Earl's Court Exhibition Centre and the tube station.

Arriving on the day we were due to check in, we were advised that the room we had booked (4 bed dorm, deposit paid some 8 weeks prior) already had two individuals moved in. This caused obvious confusion as we had arrived at 5pm, which I believed was early enough for the booking still to be valid before labelling as a "no show".

Furthermore when we asked what the alternative option was, we were told that two would move in with the two already allocated and the other half of the party to a six bed dorm, which had a spare bunk bed.

Now my scepticism aside, it appeared as though the mix up was due to the reception assigning two visitors to a room which they shouldn't have been; that being said, no other alternative was offered and no further option was given to resolve, the day after either. An apology would also have been expected as a minimum, but none was provided.

Adopting a positive attitude, we agreed that it wasn't to define our stay and we agreed to meet up outside of the hostel, so not to disturb our fellow guests.

Moving into the 3rd floor dorm (the floor is of importance), we unpacked and met our unexpected new neighbours for the weekend. After a long day travelling, we decided to use the facilities before heading out for the evening. The floor varies from the 2nd (where the party would have been originally assigned and where half resided) whereby toilets are separated from their showers. If anyone has stayed in shared facilities before, this can be a selling point, for those who like to take extended showers whilst other guests are bursting for the loo.

In this instance, it provided little comfort: the toilet was smaller than that of an aircraft's and not being tall in stature, even I had to negotiate the wall and the toilet bowl, in order to close the door.

The shower/wet room was larger (thankfully) but was poorly maintained: due to the lack of ventilation and incorrect materials used, the door had become rotten and fixtures had started to rust. Whilst this is of no particular fault to the hostel, lack of maintenance does send a certain message to visitors.

In comparison then and much to our disappointment, the other half resided in relative luxury, with a larger toilet space and adjacent shared wet room. These also appeared to be in a better condition (and more importantly all working – as the 3rd floor had a shower and toilet out of action).

With the above aside – which are still large blemishes against my overall experience it must be said – the beds were comfortable (we had bunks), we had clean bed linen and the rooms themselves had a sink and bin provided.

Shared areas were also well equipped – plenty of seating in the common area with a plasma tv mounted and BBC News at all times, a pay-as-you-go PC/internet station was available and a clean and well stocked kitchen area: all of which you would expect from a YHA.

As an overview then, I have to say the experience was a disappointment and unfortunately, in the areas which mattered the most. In comparison to YHA’s around the world and closer to home – the likes of Snowdonia and Regents Park, this seems to have been overlooked and could do with some much needed TLC.

I unfortunately will not be returning to this hostel in light of the above.

Room Tip: First or second floor only - third floor facilities are poor as the review describes.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alex L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Spent 3 days there with a friend in a female dormitory. The staff is perfectly nice, the room was clean as can be expected, the bathrooms were acceptable if slightly dingy but seeing as they are shared I can't really blame the hostel for the fact that some people leave used band aids or other such things in the shower.

You have to be prepared for multiple encounters with large organized groups of people that I assume are mostly from religious associations and they tend to hang out in the common room.

The garden closes at night which can be a slight inconvenience for a smoker.

Overall, it is a perfectly pleasant place and I really can't say anything bad about it but it hasn't made a lasting impression. Fine for a few days.

Room Tip: If you're a smoker and tend to stay up late, try to get a room with direct access to the garden...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Really nice place, not the best staff in the world but overall the facilities are good, especially the kitchen, but the wi-fi doesn't work in the rooms a bit irritating. Location is good except at night it does take a while to get into central London, so just plan for that.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Now I don't actually know what the inside of a mental asylum looks like, having never been in one, but this place surely must be close. The staff at the front desk were helpful and friendly which was great. However once moving past the front desk to leave our luggage in the luggage room and have a shower while we waited to check in alarm bells started ringing. The corridors are cramped, there are zero windows and as there's no fresh air circulating, it feels so claustrophobic! I stayed in a 8 person female dorm and it was probably the worst experience of my travelling life. People coming in at all hours turning on the lights and speaking loudly. When I got up in the morning to get ready there were absolutely no showers available and the rooms got SO extremely hot I ended up sitting in the corridor outside our bedroom, with all our luggage as it was slightly cooler than the room. As far as hostels go this one STINKS! I know London is expensive but I would never consider staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annie H

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

I have booked 3 bed private room for 3 days in 2 reservation ... After 2 day living at basement ... The last day they need us to move to 3rd floor !!! With all suitcase n stuff zzzz ... I went to the reception told him that the last day reservation is also the same 3 bed private room ... But he still want us to move form basement to 3rd floor .. He reason is that someone also book a 3 bed room .. N it's for few days ... I then ask why can't u move them to 3rd floor as they didn't arrive yet ...so I don't have to pack n unpack all stuff just for 1 more day of staying ... N then he say the 3rd floor room is arrange for 1 day staying ..... Therefore we have to move ..... In approx 30min ... !!! But by my experience of working in hotel before ... These rearrangement only take 10-15 min maxi re-entering n rearranging data from the computer .... However he didn't do it ... N just say u needa move out .... From basement to 3rd floor ...with all suitcase packed in approx 30min ...
N cleaning stuff come pretty often ask to clean the room while I m still packing ......zzz
....
Last .. While I carrying my suitcase n 2 bag up the stair ... I drop my card nxt to a cleaner ... I though he would pick it up for me .... But he just carry on cleaning ....
I found that most stuff manners are pretty below average....

• Stayed July 2013
Poljane nad Skofjo Loko, Slovenia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

YHA Earl's Court is a very nice and very "English" hostel in London. It says it's close to the city center, which is relatively true. But the neighborhood is very nice and very safe (I arrived there on the subway at 11 pm with a huge bag). There are also lots of shops, banks, a metro station, ...
The hostel is opened 24h per day and the staff is very nice (even when it's late).
To me, it also seemed seemed very clean, but that depends on your perception.
Make sure you bring a power adapter as the power outlets in England might be different than in your country. The adapters are also sold at the reception, but cost 4 GBP.
Every bed gets a locker located in the room, but that does not include a lock.
You can also stay in the hostel if you are under 18 years old - over 17 in a female dorm and under 17 with an adult in a private room.
All in all, it is a very nice hostel for the price.

Room Tip: Choose a room that you feel comfortable with. You can take a mixed dorm or female/male only.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ana E
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Any YHA Hostel is always a safe bet for a clean, well managed and professionally maintained place to stay for a night or for multiple nights - Earl's Court in Bolton Gardens certainly lives up to their reputation. Swipe cards, secure storage, friendly staff, 24 hour access, more than reasonable rates as a member or not, clean facilities and a friendly environment. When I stayed, I was offered 12 mth membership, which instantly gave me a 30% discount and after all that, the price for one night was less than a walk in plus i'm now signed up for countless discounts all across Europe ... too good to be true? No. Try it! Very impressed!

Room Tip: They offer 4 bunk rooms for the same price as a large dorm, based on availability - gotta love that!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DEAN_CASTENEDA
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
YHA London Lee Valley
YHA London St Pancras
#26 of 823 in London
South Kensington
MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park

Been to YHA London Earl's Court? Share your experiences!