“Disgusting,dirty,”

Ranked #68 of 823 Speciality Lodging in London
London, United Kingdom
“Disgusting,dirty,”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Terrible, dirty,stinks in the rooms corridors and wc and shower
laundry and kitchen worse me I did not cook or wash my clothes
after looking at it so imagine?
The duty manager was too proud about herself as anything asked she did not ans and was rude and the checkin was donein the worse way ever.

Room Tip: Absolutely no
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

2 Thank Edward F
Caroline H, Manager at YHA London Earl's Court, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hi Edward, thanks for taking the time to post your review.
I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us and wish you'd mentioned something to me on the day as this would have given me the opportunity to rectify any issues you'd experienced straight away. I'd like to assure you that standards are extremely important to us: the whole building (including all the areas you mention) is thoroughly cleaned every day and it's also extremely unusual for us to have complaints about staff. It would be very helpful to me if you could call or email me with the date and time of day you noticed these problems so that I can look into it further.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sheffield, UK
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This is a good option if you want somewhere cheap just to rest your weary head in London! It's close to Earl's Court Underground station, but on a quiet side road. The beds (all bunks) were basic and comfortable, but our window (original sash) didn't close properly. There are few carpets in the building, which mean that any noise is amplified. The bedroom doors (on the third floor anyway) can't be closed quietly, which is a serious pain if numerous people in the room next to you are leaving at 3.30am and all want showers before they go. As Earl's Court is on the direct tube line to Heathrow, there are probably more of those guests here than in most YHAs.

The kitchen is very small, given the number of people the YHA can accommodate and is hidden away in the far corner of the basement. I guess most people try to eat out - if they didn't it would be a nightmare in there (especially when one fridge freezes food and one whole hob is out of action). There is a nice looking sizeable outside eating/socialising space outside though.

Left luggage lockers are useful if you want to drop off your bags early or leave them while you do some more sightseeing. There aren't very many though, so could be full at busy times. Reception are helpful and it's great that they're open 24 hours.

For a family of four (2 adults and 2 children, like us), a well-priced Premier Inn or similar might be a much more comfortable and pleasant option though, to be honest.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank thegreenkiwis
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

2 of my friends and I stayed at this hostel from a Friday to Sunday. The whole place smells of stale air and damp. The toilets stank and looked like they had not been cleaned for months. We tried to use them as little as possible. The room was ok, very basic. The toilets and shower were just outside our room so we kept waking up in the night by people using the toilet.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anna R

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

great place and friendly staff.
quiet area of London, but still central. 5 minutes walk to underground and interner cafe. big and well fournished kitchen. bed toilet and showers clean. Staff very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: 6 beds bedroom
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 Thank Frederic J
Caroline H, Manager at YHA London Earl's Court, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Hi Frederic, thanks for your great comments, especially about our staff (I'll make sure to pass this onto them). Glad you enjoyed your stay with us, see you again soon!
UK
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

The sign outside here states that it's a 4* hostel...I'm not convinced it is. I've stayed in a lot of hostels, some of them better than expected and some just foul. This is in between but I would never have guessed it was a YHA. To me YHAs are that little bit more expensive but the standards are higher. Everything in here needs refurbishing. Downstairs was adequate but the bedrooms looked as though they hadn't been improved for 20 years and the bathrooms disgusting.

I wouldn't refuse to go here again but at £25 a night each for me and my partner, I'd prefer to spend £20 extra and get a travelodge.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank love2travl08
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I've spent a lot of nights in YHA places over the years, I'm glad this wasn't my first experience. They run a strange bed allocation system which seems to do nothing but cause distress and confusion. I was told to sleep in bed 1, there was someone in it. I slept in a different bed, came back to the hostel the next night to find someone in the bed I'd slept in the night before and someone in the bed I was supposed to be in. Reception didn't know what to do about this except to keep telling me I had to go and sleep in one of the occupied beds! Eventually got it sorted. The people waiting behind me had a similar issue and a new chap booking in was informed that while he would be in the same room for his four night stay he would have to move bed each night. Complete waste of everybody's time and must cost a fortune in uneccessary laundry. Staff not very friendly or helpful, particularly the manager. Room key card had to be recharged every other time I used it. Not enough electricity sockets. Corridors seriously need repainting.

The building is lovely and it has a garden, decent kitchen and two communal rooms. Shame about the management.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank HarveyNobum
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
YHA London Lee Valley
YHA London St Pancras
#26 of 823 in London
South Kensington
MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park

Been to YHA London Earl's Court? Share your experiences!