“Good central base for touring London”

Premier Inn London Euston Hotel
Ranked #169 of 1,069 Hotels in London
prestonpans
“Good central base for touring London”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My wife and I have used this hotel on numerous trips to London, as indeed have other members of our family. It has always proved to be very satisfactory, with special note being made this time of the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. If improvements were to be made, the room lighting could be upgraded and the overall decor, although clean and well maintained, could be from a lighter range of colours.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Great location - literally 2 mins walk from Euston train/tube. We've stayed in lots and lots of Premier Inns as a family of four. This trip was just myself and my eldest. Staff were overall OK but we're used to the kids being treated a bit special as they always are in PI hotels. Not this one though. The automated check in machines make for a very cold welcome. The restaurant and menu are not for kids.. At 6pm the place was dim lights, loud music and full of a hen party that the waiter was more than happy to give all his attention... The kids menu is laced with garlic, onions, herbs etc. Bonkers for the kids, really.

I introduced my child & explained very carefully that she is lovely and polite and mildly autistic, and will only eat *very* normal stuff. So I asked for a glass of plain still water, a couple of the plain breakfast type sausages and a handful chips. No herbs, dressing, salads, sauces, no bits, drizzles or speckles - nothing whatsoever but just those basic plain things and I'll pay full price for the meal, just make it OK for her to eat..

The sausages came char grilled cremated and were leek & pork, chips piled high & the water came in a jug full of ice and lime with an adult glass that was too big for her to hold. Now I know this is hardly anything to complain about in a normal situation, but I politely asked for those specific things and in every PI we've stayed they've accommodated my daughter with enthusiasm, a happy smile and a box of crayons but she was treated like an almost invisible adult which frankly infuriated me, especially as the getting louder by the second drunken women were being pandered to like they were royalty..

All she had to eat was a few chips. We tried for ice cream but again, big stupid bowl crammed high.. Just nothing there with this hotel with kids in mind at all. No empathy whatsoever. Great for a 16 year old, but she's 6. We (begrudgingly) paid, left and went elsewhere to eat, as we did for the rest of our stay - inconvenient is an understatement having to walk out for tea in January.. The staff asked if the meal was OK. I said no and explained why, but was told "oh, it's a new menu that". Fortunately there are some good eateries near Euston Station.

We paid a lot for an OK hotel - you'll maybe want to avoid the restaurant if you've brought the nippers. Plan ahead and just use it as a base like we did. My girl *loves* Premier Inn staff and loves to chat to them, but she soon gets the message when they kind of smile awkwardly and shuffle away instead of what we're used to in PI hotels - being given a bit of a attention, a smile, a box of crayons and something to draw on.. The staff are very young, and I'd hazard a guess at foreign students. Not really up to the Premier Inn staff levels we're used to. If you plan on visiting, aim for expecting nothing special and anything then is a bonus. I'm thinking when we visit again this year we will probably try elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up and overlooking the dance school if you want quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cpt_Cabinets
Kelly L, Social Media at Premier Inn London Euston Hotel, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests enjoy a relaxing stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.
UK
Reviewed 22 February 2012

As other reviews have noted, this hotel is very convenient for Euston train station. It is also only a short walk from St Pancras and King's Cross.

I took advantage of a good "book in advance" deal and thereby avoided an early morning train journey from the Midlands.

The automated check-in was efficient, but I didn't get a receipt from the machine (perhaps it was too efficient and I missed pressing the right button). In any case I've had to print out an invoice from my own computer.

My room was on the 4th floor and I followed the corridor right to the end, wondering if my cheap deal meant a grotty room or one with a lot of traffic noise. In the event, it was a perfectly acceptable room, looking out over the side road (Dukes Road) at the back of St Pancras Church, perhaps not its best side but much better than Euston Road. It probably didn't really need the secondary double glazing for acoustic purposes, but certainly did for heating (see below).

First impressions were therefore favourable: it was a pretty standard Premier Inn room, comfortable and reasonably well appointed but rather soulless. I would have been happy to award it 4 marks out of 5, except for the heating and the TV, as indicated in the header.

Turning to the heating first of all, the room was chilly when I checked in at about 5pm, although the ambient temperature was well above freezing. I suspect the building is a converted office block and not very energy efficient.

I fought my way through the curtains and sliding double glazing and latched shut the outside windows which were slightly ajar. I then turned to the heating controls which are somewhat archaic in this day and age with separate controls for heating and air conditioning, and you have to opt for one or the other. No such thing as climate control here.

Having selected heating I checked the thermostat on the wall next to the bed. It said 16.5 degrees - a bit chilly - so I cranked up the demand to 23 degrees which was as far as it would go. I then realised that this had switched on an electric convector heater on the far wall between the desk and the wardrobe. (As an aside this heater was clearly a replacement for an earlier, possibly larger unit. There were scars on the wall where the old one had been taken out and dust marks from the circulating warm air).

It quickly became apparent that the output from this unit was rather limited, so I drew the curtains and switched on the TV and all the lights to help out. Eventually the room warmed up and the thermostat shut off the heater with a loud clunk, and later switched it on with another loud clunk, repeating the annoying performance through most of the night.

I say most of the night because the following morning the room was back to its chilly self again, and I realised it was a 7 day thermostat and it had gone back down to its default setting of 16.5 degrees! While I can see the logic of not heating the rooms when the guests aren't there, this approach needs a faster way of warming the rooms and more sophisticated controls than this archaic system.

Now the TV. Notwithstanding a flier on the desk proclaiming the merits of Freeview (and also a free 30 minutes of internet wifi access, which I must applaud although I didn't take advantage of it this time) the TV was 5 channels analogue, with poor reception on 2 of them. I'm surprised such a thing is still available, most areas moved over to digital some time ago.

All of which reflects my issues with the hotel. There's nothing that's dire, but there are a few corners cut (the restaurant is another example. The food's actually pretty good in a "Beefeater"/pub grub sort of way, but the tables are packed in very close together). Given the competition the hotel chain doesn't have to try very hard to pack the punters in.

So, would I go back? Yes if there's a good deal. At full price, probably not. The sister hotel up the road at King's Cross is very nearly as convenient for me and doesn't have the same penny-pinching atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Kelly L, Social Media at Premier Inn London Euston Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards as we endeavour to meet all of our customers needs. Thank you once again for your review.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Good location very central for most attraction. Nice family room and good service. Excellent breakfast and dinner (Had the meal deal which was good value). Stayed 16th - 18th Feb 2012. Will stay there again.

West Midlands
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Across the road from Euston train station. No more than a 2-3minute walk allowing for traffic lights. Warm and pleasant welcome on arrival. Usual Premier Inn offerings and standard. Clean room, comfy bed. Good breakfast - but get there before 8am to avoid having to wait for a table. Very convenient for a Central London base given proximity to Euston tube station. Booked early and paid around £70/room.

Birmingham
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here for a sight seeing weekend with wife & 2 daughters.

Family room was ok, clean and modern but heating didn't work evidenced by the portable electric heater left in the room. Also, it overlooked the busy Euston Road and despite being double glazed you could hear traffic and sirens all night. May be par for the course with London Hotels.

Breakfast was good lots of variety and decent quality. Good value for money if you choose the children eat free option.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Saw Mamma Mia-fantastic for all the family.
Natural History Museum was out this world but there is too much to do and take in in just one day. Tip-get there early as the queues can get long. Do the science & V&A museums in the afternoon.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting an room not overlooking the road if you can
Dublin
Reviewed 20 February 2012

As always, Premier Inns achieve what they set out to do - provide comfortable and reasonably priced accommodation in handy locations. This one is no exception. We needed to be near Euston for four nights and the hotel fitted the bill admirably. Do not bother to book or queue for breakfast - there were queues every morning. There are many better options alongside - I recommend the Society of Friends (Quakers) cafe in their headquarters building nearby in Euston Road. They have bacon, sausages, croissants, Danish pastries, etc., all at reasonable prices in a relaxed place. Prét a Manger, Costa and Starbucks are also close by.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple