“Small hotel, convenient for Bloomsbury”

Grange White Hall Hotel
Ranked #601 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 March 2014

A terrace of Georgian townhouses is now the Grange Whitehall Hotel in Montague Street, just off Russell Square. Pleasant reception staff and easy check-in and out.

Comfortable, rather than luxurious, my relatively spacious room boasted a Sony flat screen TV, decent bed and bedding and a bath with an excellent integral shower. Good quality towels, but budget toiletries. Generous supplies of tea and coffee in the room.

The hotel has an attractive conservatory and walled garden that backs on to the British Museum.

Quite a light continental breakfast and the cooked option was a little overcooked and not hot enough.

The hotel has a small residents’ bar with a good selection of wines and spirits, a number of bottled beers, but only Stella Artois on draught.

Overall, a good value, clean and friendly small hotel, situated conveniently for a night or two, while doing business locally in Bloomsbury.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed here mid Feb for one night on business although we were supposed to be in the Grange White Hall next door. When we arrived, five of us, we were told we were actually in their sister hotel next door.
This was no great problem as the hotels along this street and the street parallel are all very similar as I have stayed in several of them.
This hotel is fine and the only downside is that there is no bar in this hotel and you have to use next doors.
The staff at these establishment were friendly and helpful and I would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave C
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Booked for me by my organisation. Well placed for my close by business meeting. Room was on second floor and was fine. Could not get the tv to work but as I spent little time in the room and I was only there one night this did not bother me. What did bother me was the cold buffet breakfast, plenty of it but cold, cold, cold. Hopefully it will be back to the Hotel Russell next time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2014

A business trip. On arrival, allocated room G1. This is in a rather tired looking wing of the hotel and the room itself should not, in its current condition, be offered to guests. Fold down type bed which means you are virtually sleeping on the floor, tatty decoration, no reading lamp or bedside lighting (so room illumination options were a. Full on or b. total darkness). It was late January but the room was too warm, and no ventilation possible. I went back to reception where I explained my concerns. No issue, the gentleman on the desk acted swiftly to move me to another room (which he went to show me first - a nice touch). The new room was on the lower ground floor, which although rather subterranean and 'compact' in size, was a huge improvement on G1! Once all sorted, a very pleasant stay. A big thumbs up for the prompt way my concerns were dealt with without question, no attempt to argue the point (I suspect the staff know about the shortcomings of G1!)

As some reviewers have noted, the breakfast room is a little too small if the hotel is busy, but the service was efficient and courteous and the offerings in the buffet more than adequate (although the bacon was pretty much over-crisped on my visit!)

Overall, I would return. It is good to see genuine concerns speedily and efficiently resolved, and with a smile.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2014

It's the little things which matter when you are travelling. I actually wanted to stay at the Grange St Paul's or Holborn as they were more convenient locations, & I've used them before ... but both were fully booked apparently.

On arrival I was given a room which was unbearably hot. There's no aircon in any of the rooms apparently, but as I was on the basement floor, I couldn't even have the window open. I asked to change rooms, but was given a poor option, so asked to cancel my reservation & I started looking for another hotel.

The receptionist was very keen to find a solution though so offered me a smaller room on an upper floor. The room was ok, but the TV channels weren't tuned-in properly (how hard can it be ?). So I headed down to the bar to watch tv on my iPad. Wifi was £8 for 2 hours ???? Even McDonalds has free Wifi !!

I ordered a gin & slimline .... no slimline ..... for goodness sake ! Ok, how about a cold bottle of sparkling water ..... no, they aren't cold .... but we have ice !!!

As anyone with an iPhone will know, the overnight charge-up is essential. This morning on checking my phone, I had 10% charge. This was due to a loose faulty plug socket in the room. Another miniature disaster, starting a day of business with no phone charge.

Not to worry, a nice cup of coffee would get me going. So I went to the small over-crowded breakfast room, & sat at the only spare table, which hadn't been cleaned up from the previous guests. I helped myself to the dregs of the buffet, & after 15mins gave-up on being offered a coffee. So I checked out, never to return.

Faulty Towers with a twist.

So so so poor compared to some of the other Grange hotels I've used. Old fashioned, the bar is like something out of an outdated seaside hotel. Gutted I ended up there.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Simon L
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Booked this Hotel for a theatre trip to London. Excellent location and only about 10 minutes walk from Drury Lane. Very reasonably priced as well and actually got the best deal when booking directly with the hotel rather than comparison websites. £90 for a superior room and breakfast so not bad at all.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My husband booked this for a theatre break. Location was excellent as behind the British Museum however whilst the room was clean the bed was terrible. Our room had an4 poster but sadly the mattress has had it I have never slept on anything so uncomfortable. As the room was small the bed took over everything and if you were on the wrong side of the. Ed you we're unable to see the TV. Breakfast was ok but no great shakes - limited choice and on Sunday morning we had to ask for more coffee as no-one was going round topping up drinks. The bar also has no ambience went across the road to the Montague for a drink in their bar - The Grange could learn a thing or two from them lovely leather seating good choice of drinks etc rather than tatty furniture and no atmosphere

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple