“Frequent traveller”

Ranked #582 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Wales
“Frequent traveller”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I often stay up in London with work and was booked in here as the usual hotel I stay in was fully booked. I really like this hotel, I only stayed one night but had room service in the evening as I checked in late and had a great nights sleep.
My room wasn't the biggest but had huge sash windows that were opened before I got there as it was a warm day so the room was light and airy.
Breakfast is served from seven, which is great when you have an early start. They have a garden at the back and the museum is around the corner so next time I'm up there I hope to finish early and take full advantage of both of these things.
I will always try and book this when in London.

Room Tip: Had a room overlooking the main road and managed to sleep with the windows open without being distur...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange White Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for your really nice review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel and its facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back often!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Reviewed 3 July 2014

had a lovely birthday weekend here , well situated friendly staff ,asked if we could change rooms and it was met without hesitation , there was no problem I just like to be high up , we couldn't the first night but the second night we were moved straight away ,nice comfy rooms of good clean standard

Room Tip: ask for not ground
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nickilshious
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange White Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Good to hear you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to assist you with your special request. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel was on a great location for trains, sight seeing, shopping and restaurants. Hotel staff were very helpful. Tasty breakfast included in our visit. Beautiful gardens. The hotel was just around the corner from the British museum-which should be on everyone's sightseeing list.
Room & bathroom were very clean.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Charlotte4w
Good to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be beautiful and in a good location. We look forward to the opporutnity of welcoming you back on your next trip across the big pond.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

This is hard to square as being in the same Grange group as their 5 stars nearer the city. But their 4 star Grange Holborn is much better than this one, as in it is a comfortable pleasant hotel to stay in. Grange white hall is not.

Little by way of facilities or choice in the bar - rudimentary menu and in effect you are in the hotel lobby.
The rooms are small with no minibar, drinking water, air con or ironing board. The iron I ordered stained my shirt.
Needed to open the window to cool down but let's noise in.

Overall the place has had no money spent on it in ages and it is showing up badly.

Staff are nice and helpful and deserve to put their heart into a better place.

I cannot imagine how Grange risk such collateral damage to their brand.
Never again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange White Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Sorry to learn your expectations relating to this townhouse hotel were not met . I hope that you will return to one of our purpose built 5* hottels in the future.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Bracknell
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel as part of a hotel and theatre package. I chose this hotel mainly due to it's location but it also looked pleasant.

The staff were all pleasant and the check in process was efficient. On walking in to our room we were delighted, we were on the ground floor and had doors out to the garden. However, there was a corporate function in the garden so not only did the doors remain shut but we felt compelled to close the curtains as well as the revellers could see straight in to our room.

The room itself was large but I've never stayed in a hotel where there's no bedside tables or bedside lights. In fact the lights were all or nothing i.e. no matter which switch you used they were either all on or all off! The bed was of those fold up in to the wall types, and it felt exactly like that i.e. a temporary bed, meaning neither my wife nor I had a particularly good night. I really couldn't work out why the room didn't have a proper bed as the shape really didn't lend itself to be a Multi-functional room.

In the morning we were again unable to appreciate our doors to the garden as the outdoor breakfast area was almost directly outside our bedroom!

The continental breakfast was minimal but sufficient although it was very clear that the rolls were not fresh.

Overall the hotel did what we needed, provided and pleasant overnight stay but I won't be booking this hotel again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange White Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place your review. We are pleased you found the hotel and room pleasant, however regret that your expectations were not fully satisfied.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was extremely disappointed in this hotel. It is definitely not a 4-star, maybe barely a 3-star hotel that has so much noise and seems a bit "makeshift" throughout the facility.

Rooms: Fairly standard for a London hotel room. Nothing special and decent bathrooms. A good closet to store/hang suits or shirts so they do not get too wrinkled. The queen size beds are not actually queen size. They are two twin mattresses that have pushed together. That makes it tough for anyone to actually sleep in the middle of the bed, which is terrible for sleep quality. The floors in the rooms and hallways creaks a lot, so you always know when someone is walking up and down the corridor or in the room above you. I know it is an old building, but this creaking is very annoying. There is also no Air Conditioning, which would be an issue in July or August.

Noise Level: VERY high. I actually fell asleep during a business meeting because I was kept up all night by the noise on the street. People walking drunk, loud trucks, home-made motorcycles with loud engines, and a metal plate on the road that cars drive over that makes a loud clanking sound no matter what time of day or night. It was awful. I had to argue with the management to get my room location changed. I am not used to sleeping with a ton of inconsistent background noise. The point of a hotel is to be a place to sleep, and this hotel failed at that.

Food: The breakfast is over 17 pounds, and is not actually that big or nice. In fact, it is pretty standard. You are better off going to the local Pret A, Starbucks, or Sainsbury to get some breakfast. The bar is not actually a bar. It is a very small shelf on which they keep liquor.

Wifi: None. You have to pay a lot to use wifi. Their website said they had free wifi, but it is not free and it is very unreliable. In fact, more than half to time, no one could connect. It felt very "makeshift" as if some manager had rigged up some unofficial router and decided to charge guests for it. This made my life very difficult since I was visiting from another country and did not have my smartphone data plan in the UK.

Service: Very nice. They really do try hard. Nice people.

Location: Pretty good. They are next to the British Museum. There are plenty of pubs, restaurants, and transportation nearby.

Overall, do not stay here. Instead, stay at the DoubleTree a block away. You will be much better off there. A shame given that the staff at White Hall do try very hard.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you intend to be at business meetings, interviews, or any other event that requi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EuroHoneyMoon2010
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange White Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
We are sorry that your expectations were not fully satisfied. Your comments have been noted. I hope that you will consider staying in one of our purpose built 5* properties in the future.
Staindrop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I stay at a hotel within the Grange group most weeks on business. I arrived to be told allocated room had been flooded and I was to be a guest at a sister hotel a good distance away, minimum 20 minutes in taxi at hotel cost. This was highly inconvenient as interviews were booked at the hotel for the following day plus my line Manager was arriving next day into St Pancras by Eurostar at 0900hrs so the 20 minutes hack to Tower Bridge at 1900hrs could well be doubled at that time....
Eventually I was given a room in a lower category and had to push hard for a reduction, for the privilege of staying in a poor room, against the contracted rate for the higher grade room!!
I understand these things may happen, but usually flooding turns out to be overbooking by the hotel anticipating cancellations etc.
This all wasted time and made me late for a meeting and dinner reservation, we missed our slot and thus ended up with slow service as we then we were then competing with a large party who had a reservation at the time of our delayed arrival. Well done to the restaurant who provided free drinks and starter to compensate, despite it being our fault - or to be accurate due to the cock up at the White Hall.
My big gripe is why did they not contact me through the copious contact details provided and on record with the hotel. That would have made life less tedious for all.
Appalling customer care...

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank judidurham2013
Nellie S, Guest Relations Manager at Grange White Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Regrettably due to unforeseen circumstances the room type you had booked had a maintenance problem. You wre offered a complimnetary upgrade at the 5* Grange Tower Bridge Hotel, however as you declined this you were provided with a superior room nad the rate difference was refunded. We do have both telephones and internet in the hotel. Please accept our apologies.