“Inspirational masterpiece of architecture, carving, sculpture, and spiritual space.”

BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir
UK
184 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 319 helpful votes
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had a wonderful visit here very recently after the recommendation of a friend and colleague from Gujarat. Thank you Drupad! This really is a must-see, not only in London but in the UK, a beautiful and truly inspirational Mandir (Hindu Temple) and compound 10 minutes from Wembley. We spent the whole afternoon here, visited the Mandir twice, as we were kindly informed by the gentlemen on security when leaving to come back at 3.30 to see the opening of the doors to the shrines containing the exquisite Murti's. What a truly splendid experience. We also enjoyed the Understanding Hinduism exhibition, the wooden carving in the reception and prayer halls, as well as the stunning carving in Bulgarian white limestone and marble in the Mandir.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and were treated with nothing but kindness and the utmost professionalism by all the staff we encountered, and one must be mindful that one of the associated Mandir's in Indian was attacked, so security is pretty tight (and rightly so). This includes airport style entry, x-ray of small bags and walk-through metal detector. No camera's or large bags allowed in the complex, no shoes, and no-entry fee either (although there is a token £2 fee for the Understanding Hinduism exhibition). We also enjoyed the wonderful souvenir shop and left laden with incense, before eating at the Shayona restaurant just across the road. We will most certainly return and highly recommend it to all.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank Nimitta

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nice architecture but rude staff”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The architecture is breathtaking and the cleanliness of the temple is something other Hindu temples can learn from. The cafe is also worth a visit. My trip however was ruined by the extremely rude staff. Firstly I was shouted at in the bag deposit booth in the car park because I produced the wrong ticket (by accident). Then when I entered the temple complex itself I found the staff at the airport like security check cold and rude. I totally understand why they have strict policy on cameras, phones etc. This sect wad attacked by terrorists in one of its temples in India. They do however need to treat all their guests with respect and should temper the tight security check with some smiles and nice words rather than treating visitors like they have bombs strapped to their body.

When I entered the temple itself, I did not feel comfortable at all. I love Hindu architecture and spend a long time looking at the pillars and carvings. The security man in the temple however kept looking at me suspiciously and made me feel really uncomfortable.

I would have loved to have strolled around the garden and viewed the exterior of the temple, however that was closed off. Overall this wasn't a great visit and them Temple lacks the soul and friendliness of other Hindu Temples in London. I had a similar experience when visiting this sect's temple in Mumbai.

Visited August 2013
6 Thank Tesh P
Liverpool, United Kingdom
581 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,231 helpful votes
“A labour of love...”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

No expense was spared in the creation of this wonderful Hindu temple. The setting is surprising, in the heart of urban Neasden and when you first set eyes on it, you stop in your tracks and just gasp in amazement.

Constructed of the finest white marble, the architectural detail outside is breathtaking.

The interior is no less ornate. Men and women are separated in the prayer hall, but all are made very welcome.

1 Thank Howi58
Europe
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Awesome architecture”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The temple is lovely, beautifully crafted, a masterpiece. People who built this have spent enourmous amount of time and energy in getting this done.

The atmosphere is calm and relaxing but the security style and the other staff members kind of spoil the entire experience by constantly watching you, and dont do this or dont stand here kind of niggles. They r sort of protecting *their* temple from u! Its unneccesary and makes u feel unwelcome

There is a resturant, soveneir shop and supermarket which is great as well.

Visited November 2013
Paris, France
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 335 helpful votes
“Worth seeing”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Unfortunately it was dark when we arrived so we couldn't see the temple in it's true splendour. I was saddened by the airportlike security measures. You have to leave bags etc. in a security office over the road from the temple and then take off belts, coats etc. before passing a body scan at the entrance. A sign of the times I suppose :( You have to take off your shoes before going into the main part of the building. It is free to visit the temple but there is a charge of £2 to go into the special exhibition which explains the Hindu religion. The temple itself is beautiful all white carved marble like a mini taj mahal. Well Worth the visit. They are currently preparing their Diwali célébrations ( food and prayers in big outside covered areas) which start this Sunday (03/11/13) and they told me that everyone is welcome.

Visited October 2013