“Impressive White Marble + Woodwork adore this Abode”

BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir
Ranked #173 of 1,689 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 27 May 2014

BAPS Swaminarayan temple in Neasden, a few minutes ride from Wembley stands impressive and majestic white marble gleaming in a rare bright London sunshine - Once you step inside you are transported to a different world of cleanliness, intricate designs the Super impressive Woodwork carvings inside the prayer halls - of course how many trees would have seen their end but the work is worth admiring - impeccable symmetry and fine art work. I was told that the entire marble piece was carved back in Rajasthan and Gujarat by craftsman and transported and assembled in London. The idols of the dieties are so beautiful that it gives you a pleasing smile and soothing effect - just wanted to sit cross legged in the spotless white marble floor and keep seeing the idol for ever. There is a nice small museum depicting various Hindu mythology works and a short video on the temple construction.

1  Thank RamsPR

Reviewed 4 April 2014

After so many visits to London, I made it a point to visit the Swaminarayan Temple this time around. Its location is not so central so arriving there from the city centre is basically a combination of underground and bus. I gather I was there in about 45 mins from Covent Garden.
The temple boasts some incredible marble carvings that are really worth viewing. Visitors should note that bags are not allowed into the temple. There is a depository just across the road where you have to leave your things - you are given a ticket which you'll have to show when you go back to collect your items. Inside, you'll be required to remove your shoes and to stay very quiet.

1  Thank FarrellMLT
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had a wonderful visit here very recently after the recommendation of a friend and colleague from Gujarat. Thank you Drupad! This really is a must-see, not only in London but in the UK, a beautiful and truly inspirational Mandir (Hindu Temple) and compound 10 minutes from Wembley. We spent the whole afternoon here, visited the Mandir twice, as we were kindly informed by the gentlemen on security when leaving to come back at 3.30 to see the opening of the doors to the shrines containing the exquisite Murti's. What a truly splendid experience. We also enjoyed the Understanding Hinduism exhibition, the wooden carving in the reception and prayer halls, as well as the stunning carving in Bulgarian white limestone and marble in the Mandir.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and were treated with nothing but kindness and the utmost professionalism by all the staff we encountered, and one must be mindful that one of the associated Mandir's in Indian was attacked, so security is pretty tight (and rightly so). This includes airport style entry, x-ray of small bags and walk-through metal detector. No camera's or large bags allowed in the complex, no shoes, and no-entry fee either (although there is a token £2 fee for the Understanding Hinduism exhibition). We also enjoyed the wonderful souvenir shop and left laden with incense, before eating at the Shayona restaurant just across the road. We will most certainly return and highly recommend it to all.

3  Thank Nimitta
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The architecture is breathtaking and the cleanliness of the temple is something other Hindu temples can learn from. The cafe is also worth a visit. My trip however was ruined by the extremely rude staff. Firstly I was shouted at in the bag deposit booth in the car park because I produced the wrong ticket (by accident). Then when I entered the temple complex itself I found the staff at the airport like security check cold and rude. I totally understand why they have strict policy on cameras, phones etc. This sect wad attacked by terrorists in one of its temples in India. They do however need to treat all their guests with respect and should temper the tight security check with some smiles and nice words rather than treating visitors like they have bombs strapped to their body.

When I entered the temple itself, I did not feel comfortable at all. I love Hindu architecture and spend a long time looking at the pillars and carvings. The security man in the temple however kept looking at me suspiciously and made me feel really uncomfortable.

I would have loved to have strolled around the garden and viewed the exterior of the temple, however that was closed off. Overall this wasn't a great visit and them Temple lacks the soul and friendliness of other Hindu Temples in London. I had a similar experience when visiting this sect's temple in Mumbai.

7  Thank Tesh P
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

No expense was spared in the creation of this wonderful Hindu temple. The setting is surprising, in the heart of urban Neasden and when you first set eyes on it, you stop in your tracks and just gasp in amazement.

Constructed of the finest white marble, the architectural detail outside is breathtaking.

The interior is no less ornate. Men and women are separated in the prayer hall, but all are made very welcome.

2  Thank Howi58