“Afternoon tea ”

Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
“Afternoon tea ”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

amazing afternoon tea, beautiful harp playing. Very nice breads used, and a ciabatta roll which is a nice change. Scones served warm! When your ready for them, not like some places. The cakes are interesting and are a good selection. Great selection of teas and the hot chocolate and cappuccino are amazing. excellent service and we're very nice to follow our dietary requirements. Would definitely visit again and would definitely recommend for a celebration, a beautiful setting like the ritz but much cheaper.

London, United Kingdom
“Over-priced, slow service, bland food”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I took my mother the the Park Lane for their Wedding Dress tea on 19 June to celebrate her 74th birthday. Unfortunately the treat was instead a great disappointment.

When we arrived we were seated and then had to wait a fairly long time for our welcome champagne and strawberries. We were given tea menus and told to choose what sort of tea we wanted. We had to call someone over to take our tea order after waiting for some time and having finished our strawberries. The staff did not explain that instead of being brought all at once, that they serve the tea as courses. We eventually got our savoury plates after what seemed like a long wait, but still no tea.

The savoury selection was quite frankly uninspiring and very bland. Nothing tasted like much of anything. I've had more interesting and flavourful sandwiches from M&S. When we'd finished our savoury selection, we finally got our tea and had managed to drink a whole cup before the sweet "course" arrived - and then only once we'd flagged down staff and asked for it.

We were surprised to see only one each of the 4 cakes listed on the menu, as we had expected there would be one each of these bite size morsels for each guest. Nowhere on the menu or any of the promotional material did it say that guests get a selection of the cakes, so we felt somewhat cheated. If this is the case, and they are for sharing, then staff should explain to guests and perhaps ask each guest which two of the cakes they would prefer. Ultimately, having to share each of the little cakes was something of a blessing because although they looked impressive, they tasted somewhat lacklustre. The champagne and scones were by far the nicest part of the whole tea experience and I could have had a whole bottle of Moet and as many scones as I liked elsewhere for a fraction of the price.

When their maitre'd / manager came and asked if we'd enjoyed out tea, I told him it was only ok and that the service was slow and asked about the cakes. He confirmed they were for sharing and offered us more if we wanted. We declined, not only because they weren't enjoyable, but also because of the slow service we were now half an hour late for our timed entry to the wedding dress exhibition at the V&A. I also told him that some friends and I have a booking in August for 4 people and that I was going to recommend that we cancel. He did all but shrug his shoulders he was so unconcerned. He mumbled "sorry" and watched us depart. So much for customer service!

All together, I was deeply disappointed the hotel, the staff, the service and the cuisine. My friends and I will also most assuredly be cancelling our August visit and I will never darken their doorway again!

3 Thank FiveStarsForMe
Kent
“A Jolly Good Tea!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Mysteriously our invitation to the Buckingham Palace Garden Party in honour of Prince Philip’s 93rd birthday, must have got lost in the post, so instead we booked, via Red Letter Days, A Champagne Afternoon Tea just round the corner, at the Palm Court of The Park Lane Hotel.

The Palm Court is decorated in the Art Deco style and the traditional afternoon tea is served at tables and comfortable chairs, similar to that which you might find in an upmarket conservatory, with crisp linen cloths and napkins, by pleasant and efficient staff. A harpist, provided unobtrusive background music.

The tea was provided in three “courses”: savoury finger sandwiches, accompanied by the Champagne, then scones, with a selection of accompaniments and finally a selection cakes and pastries, all washed down with endless quantities of tea (made with proper leaves, in a pot with extra hot water), which we had selected from an extensive list.

The finger sandwiches were of five different types, all were freshly made and very tasty. Once we had polished them off, we were asked if we would like some more, and a further selection arrived very promptly.

The scones were small and still warm and I particularly remember the nicest lemon curd I’ve ever had as one accompaniment.

Finally a large tray of cakes was presented and we were invited to make a selection. My wife was getting a bit full at this point and only wanted two, but I decided we should have one of each. All were really very good.

One quibble is that on the Red Letter Day papers, it said that Mumm’s Champagne would be served; the Palm Court Menu said it would be Moet. It definitely was not Mumm’s, and may not have been Moet - only the already poured glasses were brought. A small point, but I had been looking forward to the Mumm’s as my granddad used to work for them.

The afternoon tea is quite expensive, especially if you go for the Champagne option, but definitely worth it as a special treat. I counted that I’d consumed 14 sandwiches, scones and cakes, plus huge amounts of tea and the Champagne, my wife a bit less!

The Palm Court has no dress code, so no need to rent a penguin suit as you would for Buckingham Palace, and who wants to fight 8000 other people for a glimpse of the Queen and Phil? Not me; they probably only served Duchy Originals, jam tarts and kebabs anyway, I think we got the better deal.

By the way, we arrived a little early for tea so crossed the road and visited the new “Bomber Command Memorial” about 100m away in Green Park. The statues of the seven aircrew make a most unusual and thought provoking memorial. No matter what your view of the bombing it’s well worth spending at least a few minutes in contemplation of those many individuals who served and made the ultimate sacrifice.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“2 hours of bliss !”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Myself & my daughter enjoyed a leisurely champagne afternoon tea at the Palm court within the Sheraton park lane hotel yesterday. We were shown to our table and shown the Tea menu, within moments our champagne arrived and the service which followed was seamless.
We enjoyed a selection of finger sandwiches followed by scones with cream and preserves then the cake trolley came along for the cakes which were all devine.
Tea wise I plumped for one of my favourites, a boring but nice peppermint. My daughter tried the Blackcurrent & hibiscus which was also fab.
We had a voucher for the afternoon tea but had a bottle of still water & a diet coke which was around £8.
The surroundings were very traditional but the palm court is a thoroughfare for the hotel so the only negative would be the steady flow of guests walking past.
All in all a great couple of hours which we both enjoyed.

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I took my friend for afternoon tea for her birthday and had already booked as a champagne afternoon tea. A bit expensive for one glass of champagne and afternoon tea, but the setting was lovely. I did decide to also order a bottle of champagne as it was for a celebration, however the champagne has a high mark up.

My friend and I spent around two hours sipping champagne, eating a lovely selection of finger sandwiches - we were asked if we wanted seconds, the obligatory scones also came with lemon curd which actually takes like lemon meringue pie really lovely. The menu states dainty pastries, but they are little cakes rather than pastries again lovely. If you are unable to eat all of the food they present it in a nice little carry case to take home with you

We also listened to beautiful music played on a harp by a very talented musician and it made the afternoon even more relaxing

The downside for me is that the Palm Court restaurant is actually either side of the walk way to the main reception which means all manner of arrivals & departures with suitcases. Which is why this didn't rate as an excellent

Fantastic service, very friendly and unpretentious and not rushed at all