“Unfriendly cafe”

Charlie's Portobello Road Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Nice coutyard tucked away and shady on a hot day, but unfriendly waitress, not a relaxing experience. Service was added , which you probably wouldn't mind if you had had good service!

1  Thank HilaryP103

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped off for a bite to eat. Nice delicious sandwich but very expensive. Had to ask twice for our pot of tea which came separate from the other drinks.
Service charge already on the bill but got it took off. So beware.

1  Thank 827Janty
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I noticed this place whilst walking to the Markets further down the road and thought I'd try it, went in and the place itself looked quite good, small but good.

Had ordered myself a chicken, bacon and avocado baguette, the service leading up to it was ok, bit slow, took around 10 minutes for it to come but it was around lunch time and was busy.

Before my meal had arrived I had noticed some other people next to me had ordered a salad and when I saw it, it was a big portion. Also the person who had served us give us each a glass of what looked and tasted like tap water.

When the baguette had finally arrived it was a decent portion but it actually tasted really good, on the menu it had said that they carefully select ingredients to make the taste of the food really good and they weren't wrong there.

Overall though I would come here again

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I've been here a couple of times a few years ago but decided to come back again for a second breakfast during a trip to London. Food continues to be good and tasty, if on the expensive side, and the atmosphere is quaint, with some of the cafe being stocked with church pews. However, we were disappointed with the service. The staff seemed to be slightly irritated, to the point where saying "hello" was met with no response. I would be willing to give this place another try in the hopes that this was just an off day.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

When I saw that the breakfast was over £10 I thought okay this must be one hell of a breakfast. The waiter asked if I wanted a juice with that and I assumed it was complimentary considering the price of the breakfast.

When my breakfast was served the eggs which I ordered poached were a slimy mess sitting a top of warm beans. My sausages looked like they had been stolen from a school canteen but thankfully tasted better than they looked.

When my bill came it was £14.75 plus service charge. Exactly what service I was paying for I did not know. I always tip but the idea of adding a service charge to a cafe just doesn't seem right to me.

I would suggest to the owner that if you are going to charge resteraunt prices for your breakfast you need to make sure it is cooked and presented to resteraunt quality. The quality of the ingredients seemed good but that is let down by a totally botched attempt at a very basic dish. That combined with the bill of almost £20 for a Full English and a juice left me with a very bad taste in mouth.

1  Thank Lunaticalm