“Great Introductory Session (via Groupon)”

Trent Park Equestrian Centre
Ranked #46 of 215 Nature & Parks in London
More attraction details
Owner description: With riding activities from riding lessons and cross country riding to pony days, horse riding parties and our riding club, Trent Park Equestrian Centre in London caters for riders of all ages and levels of ability. We even offer children's riding, with our youngest riders starting at the age of four. All of our riding activities are conducted by fully qualified instructors on the highest quality horses and, as a British Horse Society Centre of Excellence, we offer one of the safest horse riding experiences in the country.
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Visited with a friend as part of a 3 hour Groupon deal

As complete beginners to equestrian related activities, a friend and I decided to take the plunge to spend an introductory afternoon here. Granted we were helped by a glorious afternoon of sunshine, but we certainly weren't disappointed!

The first part of the session was a tour of the facilities and an introduction to the real stars of the show (the inhabitants of the stables!). We were then led onto a lesson in grooming and basic stable / horse care

As always, these kind of activities are always dependant on both the enthusiasm of the guide, and the participants. Our guide (Jesse) clearly loved what she did and her enthusiasm rubbed off!

Being able to get your hands dirty in the grooming aspects might not appeal to everyone, but for me was very therapeutic and lots of fun.

The next part of the session encompassed an outdoor group riding lesson, which again was memorable for all the right reasons. As a complete novice (having never mounted a horse until that day) my guide was not only very patient but a very good teacher. The group leader again was very enthusiastic and really gained a lot out of the lesson.

At the end of the session we were treated to cake and tea too, which was always nice.

So in conclusion - I'd certainly recommend this place from the perspective of a complete newcomer to the field. Without the Groupon deal however, the session would have been very pricey (£100 per head), which is a general theme with equestrian generally.

Nevertheless for me (total beginner) was an amazing day out, hence the 5 stars :)

6  Thank Chenthuran
in 11 reviews
"stables"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed 22 February 2014

My friends and I are experienced riders but have been a bit rusty so we decided to book a lesson (in preparation for hacks) to get assessed. The stables are clean, tidy and well kept (I've worked/ridden in much, MUCH worse livery stables!) and our instructor Jess was so friendly, bubbly and helpful.
I feel sorry for all these bad experiences below as I was pleasantly surprised with the whole experience. Can't wait to come back and do more hacks really!

2  Thank FrancescaClava
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I have been going to TP weekly for about 3 months now at both the weekend and during the week. It's a big, efficient, corporate operation and at the weekends it is extremely (and off-puttingly busy). They do a lot of Group On deals (I am one of them!), which is great to bring in the trade, but I suspect the number of one-offs mean the reception staff are not perhaps as bothered or as welcoming as they are the fourth or fifth time you turn up. It's understandable, but horse-riding is expensive and as you are likely to be a bit nervous when you turn first up that can be a bit galling.
I would highly recommend TP as a school, but it has drawbacks. I dislike the busy periods at the weekend when I have seen too many lessons and instructors in the main school (frustrating, nerve-wracking, confusing and essentially disappointing lessons).
My first trip up was the tour, ride, cake experience which was padded out somewhat for anyone but a complete beginner. However, the 10 week stable management/theory/riding course which I am now am on has been extremely good value, great for building my confidence around horses and generally knowing more about them. The instructors on these were much more friendly and constructive with their criticism.
The horses are extremely well cared for, stables/care top-class, and the staff very knowledgable about them as individuals, but some horses are much better schooled than others although most are forward going. Looking at some of the criticisms below I would say any rider should recognise that sometimes you connect with a horse or sometimes ride worse or simply have to improve your skills. Plus horses are unpredictable and also have off-days.
The indoor schools are huge - the largest in London and having weathered lessons on a rainy, blowy exposed hill-side, I value them. However if you are a slim woman of average height you will generally be give a pony 8 times out of 10. And although they are cute, I've always found ponies more difficult/less responsive. My best lessons have always been on the large horses,so I am a bit envious of the men or tall girls, who get a much better ride. And unless you are very advanced you are unlikely to get a dressage warmblood - so manage your expectations.
Some of the instructors are a bit 'shouty', but time is of the essence, so I don't care provided I am given encouragement on what I have done well or have an opportunity to properly discuss improvements at the end.
I couldn't regularly afford the full whack - £40 an 'hour' for a group lesson. Obviously given the groupon deals or blazing saddles TP can do it cheaper - I wish they would. I don't really want the flannel of lectures and cake n(although the cake is fantastic). Just good instruction. What I'd like is to commit with a nice regular lesson with a regular group. I suspect that I will have to go further afield, concede an indoor school or maybe look to Lee Valley...

3  Thank Jane F
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My sister had arranged a hack around Trent Park for us on Saturday morning (feb 2014). Whilst we recognised it was a busy Saturday morning with many of their regulars there for their weekly riding lesson, we were shocked at the attitude and behaviour of some of the staff here. It must be noted however, that the reception staff were pleasant and helpful, albeit clearly disorganised with petty cash floating around their paper crowded desks. This didn't matter to us in the slightest however, and they were prompt in taking our payment and arranging boots and hats ahead of our hack.
We were led to the horses by a helpful and friendly male assistant. The three members of staff we then met were incredibly unfriendly, arrogant, patronising and simply rude. They spoke over us, interrupted after they asked a question and were uninterested and impatient. Quite shocking since we are hard working people also but this was a day off for us and had been excited to go on a 1hour hack. No customer service, interest or care with the teacher and two assistants we met.
We needed to be assessed having never visited before, which was fine. Unfortunately following a rising trot assessment, the result apparently was that she was not willing to take one of us on the hack and instead one of us required a lesson,...which meant additional payment. Even by asking if we could walk the hack, as both of us have been on horses many times in the UK and abroad, this was not an option as the horse they had provided was not trustworthy. After an awkward and unfriendly discussion, we dismounted and ensured we had a full refund of £80.
It was made quite clear they did not want to take us on the hack. They were not interested as we were clearly not regulars and they obviously had a busy day ahead of lessons.
I would simply advise anyone thinking of going here to don't bother, and instead search for a smaller more friendly riding school.

14  Thank Camilla_Daniel_11