“Unique experience, average food, poor service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12,685 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
London
“Unique experience, average food, poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and I went to the restaurant last night for a different but informal meal out. It's certainly unique and really interesting when you first walk into what is just a run down chicken shop. Walking through a little door to the right of the counter, we encountered an altogether different experience. It's a really lovely Portuguese restaurant across two floors. It's no frills but has a great friendly feel and live band.

It was unfortunate the time of our visit as there were two large parties downstairs and so the waitresses struggled to provide any decent level of service. Knowing they were rushed off their feet, we ordered bread and butter to at least reduce the immediate hunger. We're still waiting for it. They must have forgotten. The food was fine though when it came. It's essentially just meat and chips but it was what we were expecting and was tasty enough. We went for the spicer toppings and it was good, but due to the poor service, the waitress never came back round for us to order any more much needed drinks. And we left having to settle the bill downstairs by the till point.

I'm glad we went. Not sure if I would go back as some of the dishes were quite pricey for what it was (e.g. I had the lamb that came with chips and that was around £14 - I though quite a lot for what it was).

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Gemma B

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Party of 7 adults-birthday party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We had been here before when the restaurant was La Galleria. Our experience was superb in everyway. As the Lisboa grill, our experience yesterday was equally superb. We ate a flaming sausage dish, followed by giant prawns. This was accompanied by fresh bread- amazingly yummy. The quality smooth house red wine and super bock beer added real value and happiness. We then had two large fish and meat cataplanas containing giant prawns,chicken,sausage, salted cod, shellfish. There was plenty of quality protein with small potatoes and onions etc---- all good to die for. This was then followed by grilled chicken peri peri and lovely chips. With all this great food and drink, being a Saturday night there were plenty of other customers and a live entertainer who ensured a lively pleasant atmosphere.

We throughly enjoyed ourselves. Really well done.

• Visited December 2013
Harrow, United Kingdom
“I do know what the fuss is all about......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

Well, yes it does have a kebab front. But go into the restaurant and it will be like a taverna.

Its for a meat fest, its not the candle lit experience if that's your thing.

6 friends had 2 whole chickens, 2 rack of ribs and 2 rack of lamb chops. As usual you can ask for how spicy you want it. Everything comes in a huge platter with piles of rice or chips and salad. Sauces that will take the back of your head off if you want to go that way. And lastly topped of with Sangria (3 jugs). I would have gone for a pitcher of Sangria and a whole chicken to myself. All the meat was tender and well cooked. The place gets busy for a Friday with a mixed crowd. Deserts are interesting but avoid biscuit cake as its a little dry. I would have gone for the banana split if I go again.

They also do fish and prawns which I also hear is fantastic but unfortunately did not try.

Staff are excellent and fun. The bill including tip was £180.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Muttley1967
London, United Kingdom
“It usted to be excellent .”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

I have known of this place for over 20 years. Been numerous times and always loved their simple but great food. Since it changed name, and maybe owners, I have visited twice. Both times I thought the food was average. Today's chicken was nothing special, a bit greasy. It is a shame as it used to be the best chicken in South London.

• Visited June 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pretty average grilled meat - am I missing something?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Thought the food was pretty average. I shared a mixed grill - chicken was quite tasty, ribs were nice enough, but some of the bits of meat were inedible (a bit of what might have been beef was like leather and I could hardly swallow it; a grilled bit of dry turkey steak was a pointless and not very tasty addition). The marinade was nothing special - tasted sort of spicy and salty but not of anything in particular. My friend's half chicken was nice enough, but again nothing special.

On the plus side, you get absolutely loads of food for your money - no risk whatsoever of leaving hungry. Service was friendly but food took a while to come (I'm not normally bothered by that, but it wasn't really worth the wait).

I had high expectations of this place due to all the positive reviews but I really didn't see what was so good about it. I've had much better grilled meat in Turkish places in Dalston and on Green Lanes, and that's where I'll stick to in future for my meat fix!

• Visited April 2013