“Decent Indian food -- and kosher too”
Review of Mattancherry - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Looking for a fleischig (meat) place to eat in Golders Green, we decided to pass on the Israeli steakia, and the Far Eastern places, and try out Mattancherry. We were concerned that the food would be overly toned down for the local British/Ashkenazi palate, but were pleasantly surprised that -- although by no means spicy -- the food was flavorful.

The menu is extensive and includes dishes from several regions of India, with an emphasis on Northern dishes. Good breads, from stuffed Naan to simple roti. My only complaint was that the lamb dish I ordered was too muttony.

The service was prompt and friendly.

I'd come here again.

There are newer reviews for Mattancherry

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Perhaps the most disgusting meal I have ever eaten. We spent over 300 pounds to feed nine people, and they left out two people's main courses. They just weren't in the take away bags. Those two people are the lucky ones. The rest of us ploughed our way through one of the most unpleasant dining experiences you could imagine. They meat was all nondescript. No one, after tasting everyone else's dish, could tell whether it was what they had ordered or something else. There was no fish, none, in the fish curry. One person said she enjoyed her tandoori, the only dish not covered in some kind of sauce, but then told me the next morning she had felt sick all night. Everyone else said the same. Do not go here if you like good food.

2  Thank Deborah G
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I'm no expert on Indian cuisine, but my impression is that the food here is pretty standard, not informed by any local traditions or even personal taste. Mattancherry does, however, have two claims to fame: it has a Kedassia hechsher [If you don't know what that means it probably wouldn't be important to you anyway] which is very rare even in this neighborhood, and it exactly in the center of the heart of Golders Green, a minute's slow walk from anywhere.

The people who work here are friendly, as you would expect of a slightly gentrified neighborhood restaurant.

The wine and alcohol lists are pretty extensive, although they might not have absolutely everything on the list.

I liked the food; my wife didn't.

1  Thank Monobasis