“4 star? Rubbish”

Ranked #287 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Dublin, Ireland
“4 star? Rubbish”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I can only concur with all the other negative reviews about this place. How it can be classified 4 star, I do not know. It is the only 4 star hotel I know that:-

1. You pay upfront. Do they not trust their clients?
2. Has "superior rooms" measuring 9 sq. m
3. "Bathroom" so small you cannot dry yourself in it.
4. Does not include breakfast in the exorbitant price.

The location may sound upmarket but across the street is a terrace of decrepit houses, some converted into hostels. The room was comfortable, modern and clean but not a place to relax in after a day out, because of it's claustrophobic nature. There are several places around where you can get a better breakfast for £5 - £9 in better so don't waste £15 here. It has a lift, I was on the 6th floor which was nice and quiet. The thing is hotels in London can charge what they like because the demand is there. They couldn't care less about reviews, customer satisfaction, service, they'll always get some other unfortunate idiot to fill the room. Like you. No disrespect, I'm one of the idiots.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Dermot F
GouravGupta, Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Please let us know once you do the booking , I will make sure that you get the best room.

Gourav Gupta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (809)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

I stayed here one night over the May bank holiday with my boyfriend.

When you walk in the reception area and wifi room is very big with a nice old fashioned theme.

Rooms are VERY small the bed literally touches the desk. HOWEVER it was very modern very clean. The bathroom was lovely very clean and powerful shower. Large tv in the room too. Our room had a kettle with tea, hot chocolate, coffee and biscuits.

Within walking distance there are LOTS of bars, resaturants and a casino.
I would definitely stay again if I was looking for a room for just the one night. I f I was staying longer than a night or 2 then the small room would not have been practical.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
GouravGupta, Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing The Grand Royale London Hyde Park for your recent visit to London. We appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at the Grand Royale was able to meet your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back at The Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

We were placed in this hotel by the management as we were originally booked in to the Shaftesbury metropolis Hyde Park but received a telephone call to say there was a problem with our room. Reading all the reviews of this chain this seems to be normal practice! We had also apparently been upgraded to a club room in the hotel and I must say thank god as if the club rooms are supposedly luxurious the normal rooms must be awful. You could hardly move in the bathroom and the bedroom was quite small.

The breakfast was cold, the bread and rolls stale, the orange juice was more like squash.

The reception and bars were lovely rooms but whoever heard of a hotel bar closing at 11.30 at night.

I do not intend to stay here again, it is not a four star hotel no matter what they say.

1 Thank Rafflesgirl
Dear Guest,

Let me start with thanking you for staying with us at The Grand Royal London Hyde Park. I was troubled and saddened to hear about your experience at the hotel. Our guest's satisfaction is absolutely at the forefront of everything we do. You were transferred from our sister property because of the maintenance issue which was beyond their control but I completely agree with you & apologies for the inconvenience it may have caused. I would like to assure you that the vast majority of our rooms are externally good size and sorry to hear that our arrangement did not suit you. I also discuss you comments regarding cold breakfast with our F&B manager and put down necessary measure to eliminate this matter & to make sure none of our guest go through this ever again. I hope you will give us a chance to prove our hard work and I would be very grateful if you let us know in advance once you do the booking.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Well located, this hotel is a very nice antique buiding. The entrance and the main room are gorgeous. But as soon as you see your room, you feel like being in a jail ! Rooms are terribly little. Twin rooms (only 5 in the hotel) all have a "view" on the courtyard with the central air conditioning system, dark and noisy. You don't see the sky (well it might be better in London sometimes !). In the morning, we are woken at 6h30 by the truck trash can in the courtyard !! We were supposed to be "CLUB", like VIP with special offers: I had to ask for our wine and fruits the first night, and we only had them the first envening. Except all this, the hotel is clean, the staff is young and they do their best (none of them has an hotellerie experience!)
To conclude, I advise you to visit the hotel groundfloor as a piece of collection, and take a room somewhere else !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Guest,

I was troubled and saddened to hear about your experience at the hotel. Our guest's satisfaction is absolutely at the forefront of everything we do. I would like to assure you that the vast majority of our rooms are externally good size and sorry to hear that our arrangement did not suit you. I am also cornered & apologies for amenities not been placed prior to your arrival which I can assure you that it’s a standard practice for all Club rooms guest.
With regards to noise issue I would like to request you to please give us a chance and I will personally look into your booking and make sure I will provide you with a quite & best room. I would be very grateful if you let us know in advance once you do the booking.

Christchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

We’re just stayed for a long weekend and although the hotel has some good features it isn’t really 4*.

Its location is good - about 250 metres to Queensway underground station, opposite Hyde Park. Its entrance and communal rooms are very impressive (where Edward VII appears to have set up his mistress Lillie Langtry). However, our room was somewhat lacking in the space department - and that in spite of having been upgraded on arrival to a Club Double - as we only had 20cm (8inches) between the bed and wall where you had to squeeze through to a space in front of the window where a small desk and the wardrobe were located. There was no chairs - only a skinny stool at the desk, and the room safe was loose in the top of the wardrobe and not bolted to the wall.

Our bathroom was also one of the smallest we’ve ever had; the basin was much too high (110 cm as against a normal height of 80cm) and was badly cracked. The lights were also very loose in the ceiling and had been shoddily repaired. There were no hooks to hang anything on.

The facilities all worked to a degree - but the shower went all over the floor, as the shower screen was much too short. We couldn’t lock door into our room on the inside and, the wifi wouldn’t reach the room but there was a LAN (Ethernet) connection providing your computer had the correct socket for the cable.

Breakfast - both full English and Continental - was included as we had booked directly with the hotel and on first sight looked quite good. However on sampling the breakfast, the rolls were rather stale, the cooked items looked as if they had been kept warm for ages and there was no healthy cereal such as muesli. It kept us going but didn’t wet the appetite.

On a good note all the staff were excellent, very polite and helpful - no complaints there.

So - if you use this hotel as a base for exploring London it will do very well especially if you get a good deal - but don’t expect it to live up to a 4*.

Dear Guest,

It’s clear that you didn’t enjoyed you stay with us. I would like to request to provide us with any other opportunity to prove our hard work.
I would be very grateful if you let me know in advance once you do the booking.

Tonsberg, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

From reading previous reviews about the Grand Royale we was a little concerned about the transferring-practice which seems to be prettycommon at this hotel. And no surprise, the day before arrival we got a call from the hotel saying they would have to move us to the sister hotel in Paddington due to refurbishing. Found it a little strange that this came up just the day before arrival, booking was made weeks earlier and only two days before they confirmed our message about late arrival, without mentioning any refurbishing. Anyway, after telling them Paddington was out of the question and that this, from what I've read on tripadvisor, was a common problem, they did a little magic and found a room for us anyway. But be aware, the chance they'll try to move you to Paddington seems to be rather high. And by the way, we didn't see anything at the hotel confirming that refurbishing was going on, so they just might have other reasons to move you.

The hotel is about average, the building itself has got plenty of charm and the room was nice and spotless. But it was not what I'd define as spacious, even though we had a deluxe doble which should be more spacious than a standard room. It was just enough space for a double bed, a tiny desk and a single chair between bed and desk. Bathroom with tub/shower-combination, guess it must have been refurbished not too long ago and was of a high standard. Even though the room was small, it was nice, clean and worth the price paid. Only thing to complain about was that it was freezing cold, even though we switched the aircon off. The wind actually seemed to blow right through the walls.

The bed was comfy and a big plus; it had a duvet - not only the thin "sheets" often used at British hotels. On the other hand, the pillows was about as soft as a package of concrete...

We didn't try either bar or restaurant at the hotel, but had breakfast one day and even though the breakfast was good it seemed a little bit pricey (GBP 15 for full English). Food was good and the hot dishes was at least almost hot. On the downside the juice was, in my opinion, awful.

Location is absolutely perfect, just a few minutes stroll away from Queensway and Bayswater tubestations, Hyde Park, several pubs, restaurants and shops in Queensway. The hotel is situated in a quiet spot and even though you can hear the sounds from Bayswater Road (sirens etc) we wasn't bothered by any noise really. (Even had a room facing the street).

Not sure if I'd stay again, but if the price was right and they could guarantee that you get the room where you actually booked, not having an argument about not being transferred to Paddington, I'd might concider it. But as long as they keep on transferring guests I won't rate this hotel as one of my top ten London hotels.

Dear Guest,

I would be very grateful if you let me know in advance once you do the booking.