Grand Royale London Hyde Park
The Tower(London)(Great Value!)
US$155
US$143
4,446 results
All reviewshyde parktheatre barclub roomlillie langtryqueensway tube stationcentral linekensington gardensrooms are smallnotting hillbeautiful hotelsingle roomreception areaan upgradeexcellent breakfastbreakfast roomlocation is excellentfull english breakfast
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We also booked (and pre-paid) the Grand Royale Hyde Park as we were attending the Hyde Park concert on 12th August and wanted to walk to & from the event. On arrival, we were informed that we had been upgraded - to a hotel 3 miles away! ...the Best Western in Kensington. We then had a stressful time moving to the other hotel, which meant we were late meeting up with friends. And instead of being able to walk from Hyde Park, we had a £20 taxi fare to return to the hotel after the event.
To add insult to injury, the best Western put us in the smallest room available, until we complained and got the Club Room as promised - still not the quality I would expect from a Club Room. Terrible customer service.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen H
GouravGupta, Front Office Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent booking with us here at the Grand Royale London Hyde Park. There is a lot to learn from your comments and our team has taken the opportunity to use this in order to improve and provide a more genuine hospitality.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you upon your arrival. Whilst we make every possible effort to honour all our reservations, there is unfortunately the odd occasion when extenuating circumstances such as last minute maintenance issues result in the Hotel becoming overbooked.

On these occasions we are regrettably obliged to arrange a transfer and upgrade the client to one of our sister properties of the same category at no extra cost.

It is clear that we were transferring you although you had confirmed a room with us; we can only promise you that this will not happen in future. In order to restore your faith in our company I would like to make it up to you in near future.

Kindly email me on fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk so we can discuss this further.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. I apologize for any inconveniences and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Yours Sincerely,

Ankur Sehgal
Front Office Manager
Grand Royale London Hyde Park
1-9 Inverness Terrace,
London, W2 3JP

Reviewed 14 August 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
GouravGupta, Manager at Grand Royale London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Reviewed 14 August 2012

The reason I booked this hotel was because me and my boyfriend were attending the closing concert in Hyde Park on the 12th August.

On arrival at the hotel the man behind the counter mumbled that there were issues regarding drains in some of the rooms and that we wouldn't be able to stay there. Its funny how I wasn't informed of this before my arrival?

It seems that alot of people have also been told this so it looks like they're overbooking and moving everyone round to different hotels in London! I don't understand how the management are getting away with this and telling their staff to lie to their customers!!

Worst customer service EVER.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank v_ray1

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and for the time and effort taken to write it.

I am deeply concerned to hear about all inconveniences caused to you at The Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

As you aware we had Maintenance issue at the last moment and as per health & safety measures, we were forced to arrange alternative accommodation for you of the same standards.
To discuss this matter further, I request you to please contact me on fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk.

Kind Regards
Gourav Gupta

Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights for the last weekend of the Olympics. We booked a couple of months ago and undoubtedly the hotel was over priced! Upon reflection we would've left booking our hotel closer to the time and not booked this one because of previous reviews.

Good Points
Location - Close to 2 tube stations and Paddington Station is only 10/15 mins walk and Hyde Park is just across the road. There is also a fab little Morrocan bar just around the corner (Med Meze).
Cleanliness - Couldn't fault the cleanliness of the hotel and our room.
The Bed - very comfy and had a good night's sleep (apart from the hotel fire alarm going off at 2am on our second night).
The Air Conditioning - worked well and didn't keep us awake.

The Bad Points
The Overbooking Scam - this didn't happen to us, but we did experience it happening to a number of couples on both days as we walked through the foyer at different times of the day. My boyfriend rang the hotel the day before and asked them to confirm our booking at the hotel having read other peoples experiences whilst dealing with this hotel.
Size of Room - Ok, so I understand the hotel is old, but these rooms extremely small!
Size of Bathroom - The bathroom is tiny and floods easily. There is a poor excuse for a shower screen which means that the water goes everywhere.

The reason for the 3/5 mark for this hotel.... we were concerned before we arrived at the hotel that we would actually get a room, and when we got the room it was very small for the price that we paid.

Would we stay here again? No, we wouldn't. Why? Because if you're on a weekend break or longer you expect to stay in the hotel that you booked and not be carted off to some other hotel in an area that you didn't expect to stay in. The small room we can deal with for a night or two at most (if the price was right) but not the uncertainty surrounding the booked. Also, as other reviewers have mentioned, there are nicer hotels in London.

Room Tip: Higher floors, front of hotel
Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah G

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your review.

As per your comments, I would like to explain that we do have different categories of rooms with diverse sizes. We have arranged same room which you booked.
With regards to Room transfer, we had maintenance issue and as result we arrange same standard hotel in our nearby locations for the guests.
I would like to request you to allow as anther opportunity to change your perception and Once you book you room with us again , please call us so that we can do needful for you.
Kind Regards
Gourav Gutpa

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Booked this hotel due to its proximity to Hyde Park, way back in March, via a booking agency at £229 for 1 night "deluxe" double. (We were attending Hyde Park Olympic closing concert). When I discovered the rooms were then being advertised at a third of the price, I contacted the agency. In fairness, they did try to renegotiate a reduced rate to no avail. The hotel agreed that should an upgrade be available upon arrival, they would do so, as a gesture of goodwill. I emailed the hotel in advance, having read the awful reviews, and to date have not received a reply. Check in was a complete fiasco, and I witnessed first-hand people being "re-routed" to alternative hotels, for varying reasons; mainly maintenance issues apparently. I don't think so. I did in fact get an upgrade, and I have to say, I dread to think what the original room would have been like. The room was tiny, needed redecoration, the bathroom was tinier still (but at least clean), you couldnt use the chair at the desk even if you were under 5ft. The "balcony doors" were secured by a piece of wood with a screw, which came away in your hand,and tissue paper had been wedged underneath the frame - as some kind of insulation! - the door was neither open or closed and coupled with a huge gap under the bedroom door, it was freezing cold, and the aircon wouldnt switch off. We couldnt lock the bedroom door, and upon entering the room there is a step with no warning, so as you enter, you immediately fall down. Ignorant unhelpful staff. No information at all in the room about facilities etc, no fire instructions on the door etc etc. Also the wifi was non existent. To top it off, the alarms went off in the middle of the night. We took the piece of wood to reception on checking out, and the response was along the lines of "oh dear, I am sorry, I will report to Maintenance". DO NOT STAY HERE! I've had better service, facilities and value for money in a bed and breakfast. This hotel, and I believe the Shaftesbury chain, should be avoided; thankfully it was only one night!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KayemSolihull

Dear Guest,

Thank for your review. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience caused to you on visit to Grand Royale London Hyde Park.

I request to please send your full details as we are unable to locate you in our system and as you mentioned that you never received any reply. I also request you to please confirm your email address as I personally look into all the mail and did not have any message from you end.

However, I request you to please contact me so that I investigated it further but writing to me on fom@grandroyalelondon.co.uk

Kind regards