“Perfectly adequate no frills hotel”

Royal National Hotel
Ranked #879 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here for a couple of night with a superbreaks deal.

From the outside it looks dated, very 70's signage, and a mass of grid section windows.

Actually though the Room was very clean, basic but clean. much nicer than a travelodge in my experience. The only thing I would not recommend is the breakfast, try somewhere else for a few extra quid.

Location is in Russell square and was only 5 mins away from the British museum and 10/15 mins away from covent garden area and only about 15 mins walk to kings cross station.

Good location and basic room for the night, thats all we needed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank L P
Write a ReviewReviews (8,275)

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Heading to London in July when it is peak holiday season was a little concerning.

I am in my 40's and was a bit worried this motel wouldn't be suitable for me. My travel agent said "I've stayed there its fine, it's a bed and it has a tour desk, and very central."

My older son who had stayed there previously said, "Mum don't stay there."

I'm glad I listen to my travel agent.

When we arrived I asked if the room had a hair dryer or if I could have one - vanity. The girl at the desk made sure we got a room with a hair dryer, our room was in the building opposite the reception desk. Our room looked like it had recently been renovated. The bathroom had a bathtub and shower. The room had two beds, a tiny wardrobe and desk plus new looking curtains.

Best of all, after travelling through Germany this motel had real sheets and blankets plus real pillows - none of those continental beds. I had the best sleep.

Our room was cleaned every day, fresh towels everyday.

We stayed 7 nights.

Breakfast mmm, well. It was ok. Cold dry toast. Cereal was ok. Variety of spreads boring. Tea and coffee were fine and juice. But it's in and it's out, don't do what I did. I went down with my IPad to check my emails over what I thought would be a leisurely breakfast - and was asked to move to the foyer as they have to feed something like 1600 guest a day. We discovered Pret a fabulous sandwich / breky place around the corner with free Wi Fi.

Speaking of WiFi. Yes only in the foyer, and very temperamental.

If travelling on a budget, this motel certainly was ok. I would stay here again without hestitation.

It's not flash, but I feel that when my older son stayed there he was travelling with a sports team of young guys, maybe that is why he didn't get as nice as room as I did.

Room Tip: You don't have to have the breakfast at the motel, there are lots of excellent cafes, and restau...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Disgusting hotel, dirty, not one english worker, extremely rude staff!
Windows were so dirty you couldnt see out of them!
A dead mouse in the bed sheets!
Had to pay extra to put our cases in a luggage room
The cleaners refused to speak English when I asked for some soap
Dusty carpets!
Broken toilet door
Shower was worse then prison
Poor breakfast
LACK OF PERSONALITY
EXTREMELY BOG STANDARD

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Fhjhkmfkkfdj
Reviewed 4 December 2013

A large hotel. Lifts busy for breakfast. Firm but comfortable enough to adequate beds. Blankets and sheets not quilts. TV with satellite in room no extra cost. Tea and coffee maker. Some soap in the bathroom but nothing that travelodge wouldn't give. Towels on the thin side. Strond fixed hoze shower. Breakfast was comprehensive- need a ticket for English breakfast but then it seems ok to get some continental as well. Lots of foreign staff with low level of English at breakfast. Split into two halves so easy to get mixed up which half you are in depending on which lift you come down from. A 10 minute walk from Euston so very convenient for transport. Some places to eat close by. Reasonably quite considering its size. I'd rather have this at the same price say than a travlodge we had last time in London where room was virtually sat on kings cross station but it's not plush. Easy walk to Russel Square tube but beware if lift not working - 165 stairs or thereabouts i believe. There's a concierge for people who may have need of their help.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

As previous reviewers this was a super break theatre trip for myself and daughters, after reading previous reviews I really wasn't looking forward to spending three nights in this hotel, so asked for a refurbished room and was pleasantly surprised. The bathroom was spotless, freshly tiled, plenty small soaps, good shower, fresh towels every day although quite thin. Bedroom clean, also bedding, and plenty tea and coffee sachets. I will agree with the comments about breakfast being like a canteen, as rows and rows of tables, and lots of foreign students on school trips, but hey your only in there for a quick breakfast, which was edible. The bar in reception was fine, prices reasonable, didn't find reception staff very pleasant, or concierge. Overall was ok for our needs shopping and theatre, but if I was having a trip again to London still think I would pick a different hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room on sixth floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We recently stayed at the Royal National on a theatre superbreak. After reading some of the adverse comments in other reviews we were a little apprehensive about our stay. However we need not have worried as we found our room to be clean and comfortable. It was ideal for an overnight stay. Check in went smoothly and we were directed to our room which we found easily. Our full English Breakfast was fine. The restaurant was clean and the tables were tidied quickly and efficiently. The hotel is in close proximity to Euston Station and the theatres. We found it to be good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

It's a good hotel for those who are planning to be out most of the time. Very good location, easy to get from the airport, a few minutes from the metro station. The hotel is popular with tourist groups, but it's quiet and families will be comfortable there. Nice breakfasts.

Stayed: February 2013