“Stay away unless you like filth” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal National Hotel

Royal National Hotel
Ranked #873 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Stay away unless you like filth”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

My title says it all really, If anyone could say this place is nice really need there heads seeing to! We normally stay in the premier inns around London but was offered this package with my partners work along with tickets to watch the snowman for my kids. I will never recommend this hotel. Dirty, still in the 60s, rude foreign staff although location is good, Breakfast was a stampede with disgusting tea and coffee!
The beds were 4 singles with dirty bed sheets, dirty walls, blocked sink and dirty desk, went out to buy flash wipes just to rub over everything as it was that grimed up! Hot hot hot water, watch out for this if you have small kids wanting a shower, the water will scold you! Some advise to enjoy your London trip, take note of all the poor reviews as they are all spit on, this hotel is the pits!

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Spencer H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

This hotel is outdated and in a very noisy location.
The rooms are musty, and the beds and bedding are terrible.
Having said that, if its a bed you need for a sightseeing holiday, then it isn't the worst you could do.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

The Royal National is supposed to be the biggest hotel in London and its a case of quantity over quality but very adequate as a bed for the night for weary sightseers!

Breakfast is like being back in the school dining room, queueing for ages and being split from friends having to find any available seat. Absolutely no frills or spills, very basic but filling and edible apart from the tea and coffee which is poisonous, think its made with powder. I suggest taking your own tea bags and just using the hot water facility!

Our room was ok being clean and comfortable enough but dont expect any freebees! Two tiny bars of soap is your lot and certainly not enough tea/coffee facilities to last your stay. The bath towels were also on the small side but the water was piping hot and the shower over the bath was excellent. All said and done both had a good two nights sleep!

On arrival before 2pm our rooms were not ready so we were able to dump our bags in a safe room and collect later. Worked a treat, however on booking out we did the same left the bags and came back for them later only to be ripped off for a quid each.Bit sneaky but still a good service!

Both bars had a good atmosphere and we enjoyed the men on fiddles! The outside one closes at 12 but they suggested we move on to the inside one which closes at 1am. The beer was totally undrinkable being like tar! If you are a real ale drinker give it a miss and go on to shorts!

Would hate to spend longer than a weekend here but we were only using the place as a base for sightseeing and it was perfectly situated being one stop from Kings Cross and very close to all the sightseeing we were doing. Best feature for us was its location.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is central,it's comfortable,good breakfast.could not fault it.its not the ritz but perfectly adequate for a week end.the tube station is just around the corner,I know most of the people who work there don't speak very good English but that is common in most large budget hotels.a good tip is to go for breakfast between 7am and 8am otherwise be prepared for a very long wait and it's mainly canteen style seating."........"...................................................

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank michaekhassett
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here for a couple of night with a superbreaks deal.

From the outside it looks dated, very 70's signage, and a mass of grid section windows.

Actually though the Room was very clean, basic but clean. much nicer than a travelodge in my experience. The only thing I would not recommend is the breakfast, try somewhere else for a few extra quid.

Location is in Russell square and was only 5 mins away from the British museum and 10/15 mins away from covent garden area and only about 15 mins walk to kings cross station.

Good location and basic room for the night, thats all we needed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank L P
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Heading to London in July when it is peak holiday season was a little concerning.

I am in my 40's and was a bit worried this motel wouldn't be suitable for me. My travel agent said "I've stayed there its fine, it's a bed and it has a tour desk, and very central."

My older son who had stayed there previously said, "Mum don't stay there."

I'm glad I listen to my travel agent.

When we arrived I asked if the room had a hair dryer or if I could have one - vanity. The girl at the desk made sure we got a room with a hair dryer, our room was in the building opposite the reception desk. Our room looked like it had recently been renovated. The bathroom had a bathtub and shower. The room had two beds, a tiny wardrobe and desk plus new looking curtains.

Best of all, after travelling through Germany this motel had real sheets and blankets plus real pillows - none of those continental beds. I had the best sleep.

Our room was cleaned every day, fresh towels everyday.

We stayed 7 nights.

Breakfast mmm, well. It was ok. Cold dry toast. Cereal was ok. Variety of spreads boring. Tea and coffee were fine and juice. But it's in and it's out, don't do what I did. I went down with my IPad to check my emails over what I thought would be a leisurely breakfast - and was asked to move to the foyer as they have to feed something like 1600 guest a day. We discovered Pret a fabulous sandwich / breky place around the corner with free Wi Fi.

Speaking of WiFi. Yes only in the foyer, and very temperamental.

If travelling on a budget, this motel certainly was ok. I would stay here again without hestitation.

It's not flash, but I feel that when my older son stayed there he was travelling with a sports team of young guys, maybe that is why he didn't get as nice as room as I did.

Room Tip: You don't have to have the breakfast at the motel, there are lots of excellent cafes, and restau...