“Average hotel with a perfect location !”

Royal National Hotel
Ranked #884 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Hotel is not perfect but you get what you paid for. Hotel is in a great price , in the very center of London just 5 minutes away from British Museum (walking distance) and about 10-15 (also by foot) from Oxford street. Tube station is 2 minutes away and the bus station is just at the hotel doors. If you arrive to London Luton it is really perfect and easy to get from the airport to the hotel. Just take a train from Luton Parkway, get off at the St Pancras (not Kings Cross) and then either take a bus (for ex. 91 - and every bus which goes to Russel Sq))to the hotel or go by foot - its about 15 minutes away from the station (by foot) and about 5 by bus. Even that the hotel is not perfect the location and price is worth staying there.
If you want a breakfast its better not to take Continental (you get nothing to eat!) English breakfast is probably better there - however we decided to go to Pret-A-Manger which is just in the corner and eat there. Its better and delicious.
Oh... and the rooms are not so bad.Clean and not bad.
The hotel is VERRRRY BIG and there are a lot of school trips there. I heard that it is probably the biggest hotel in London and I belive in it!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J0anna_B1983
Write a ReviewReviews (8,398)

Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a group of friends.

Location, not bad around 10 minute walk from kings cross rail station. Tube station couple of minutes walk down the road.

Rooms are quite small. Pillows were horrendous. Beds were so so. 2 out of the 4 of us had a spring from the mattress digging in our backs, the beds are that small you can't escape from this. Bathroom very small, our shower leaked and we flooded the bathroom each time we used it.

Breakfast. Tea and coffee from a machine. Juices available. Plenty of toast, cereals. The cooked aspect wasn't the best.

Overall this is a busy hotel. It served its purpose as somewhere to sleep as we were out and about all day and in the evenings. We got a good price but I wouldn't pay anymore.

One thing I didn't like was the fact that the hotel charged to keep your cases locked away if you still had time to sight see before leaving. Although it's only 50p per item I've never known a hotel to do this!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kelly M
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Not a pleasant stay! We arrived into a nice lobby but thats where any good ended. We were surprised with a £20 deposit on the rooms which was a massive pain! The people at reception were rushed and rude. We were finally admitted to our 1970's era rooms, after walking through a maze of corridors that had holes in the walls and chipped wood and paint, half the doors had no bottom corners! The bed had springs that poked into me and the blankets were old and itchy.
We were given strict rules that anyone under 18 could not leave the room without adult supervision. As there was only crappy wifi in the lobby, this basically meant we had to have an adult with us whenever we went out. The lobby wifi meant the lobby was always super crowded and not a nice place to be!

Breakfast was awful. Everything was cold and there was nothing to choose from. Bread was stale and even the toast wasnt cooked. All the waiters could hardly even speak English and were rude and pushy.

I could go on but I think you get the gist. Do not stay here! Fork out a few more pounds and get a 100x better experience.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Rachel H
Reviewed 14 January 2014

After reading all the negative reports we were a bit apprehensive about staying here, but we needn't have been concerned. The room, bathroom, towels and sheets were all clean, shower good with plenty hot water. Staff were courteous and very helpful, we even got into the room before the allotted time. Yes the breakfast was a bit canteenish but when dealing with hundreds of patrons it is difficult, the food was plentiful but average. The hotel served the purpose for what we wanted, a place to sleep and a good location. For what we paid it was good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank langgreen
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This hands down is the worst hotel I've ever been too. Upon entering you'd think this would be a fancy hotel, but it was horrible. My family and I should have done our research upon booking this hotel through our travel agency. The room itself was dirty, old, run down, the corridors were so old, rooms reeked of mildew, and the carpet had so much stains. The wifi, is RIDICULOUS. You have to ask for a paper and put the wifi password in every few minutes just to go on the internet. The wifi doesn't reach any of the rooms in the hotel, only in the lobby! Found this very inconvenient. Although the bar was amazing, drinks were affordable. As for the location of the hotel, it was pretty central, there were a lot of stores and sightseeing near by and walking distance. From our hotel we also took a double decker bus and took a tour all around London. It was worth it, but it was so long, me and my cousins fell asleep. Regardless I would definately recommend it!

My second day in England my wallet got stolen. I left the my wallet in the hotel room, after hearing rumors that there are plenty of "pit pocketers" I thought it would be safe to simply leave my wallet on top of my luggage. Little did I know, I came back, the room was cleaned but my wallet was no where to be found. 200 pounds, 300 euros, gone. Not to mention my wallet was worth 200 Canadian. I was outraged, spoke to the security staff who was an incompetent man who acted like he knew everything. He was so bias that he didn't even want to hear my side of the story. When me and my mom told other people who stayed at the hotel about the issue, he confronted us and told us "Stop telling people our staff steals that is not true." I told him to do something about the situation and he kept telling me is was not his staff's fault, that I was careless and wrong. He literally yelled at me for 25 minutes. I found it ridiculous. Yes indeed this mishap ruined my trip. But I will be back, just not to this hotel.

In short, STAY away from this hotel. You're better off paying a bit more at another hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JSBarroso
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Booked this through Superbreaks and it was as bad as the reviews on here suggest. We stayed 1 night of the 3 we had booked.

Check in was easy and quick, after that the place went from bad to worse.

The hotel looks like it was built in the 1970's and not decorated since. The corridors are horrible, every wall has holes, ripped paper, chunks out of door frames. The room itself wasn't as bad as that but not nice and smelled. It needed properly cleaned and redecorated. It was right next to laundry so noise from 6am was terrible. Cleaners shouting up and down corridors also didn't help.

The food you wouldn't serve to a dog. We walked out of dinner without eating. We tried breakfast but it wasn't much better, everything was cold, even the toast. Toast isn't that hard to get right!

We didn't expect an amazing hotel but that hotel is a joke. I've posted photos on here as well

We complained to the hotel, Barrhead Travel that we booked through and Superbreak. We were moved hotel at an additional cost to us, which is shocking considering what we were made to stay in. I will be taking this further

We have moved to the Copthorne Tara which is a million times nicer, spotless and with lovely staff.

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank Louloubell1
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This was our 11th time in this hotel. Nothing to complain about but there were no changes. The food was always the same. Breakfast was boring and many times cold. Just for sheer laziness we didn't walk out the door to go to the Cafe just outside and have a proper good and "hot" breakfast. But the room was always clean and so was the bathroom. We only used the room to put away our shopping and have a sleep. Some complained about the lifts being slow etc. We had no problems with that. Though in summer with lots of kids around the kids would push all the buttons and that is why the lifts take forever. Try going to Spain and the same thing happens. it would be nice if for breakfast they would add a piece of cake or crossiant. Cold toast doesn't go down well. Normally on our last day at the hotel we would buy a cooked breakfast. As it is Buffet you can help yourself but the meal is all cold and rubbery. The good thing this year was there seems to have been some control with the heating system. It wasn't as hot as previous years.

One last request for the hotel to take note of. Could they possibly put some wooden benches on the tiled area in the courtyard? It gets so hot indoors that you need to go out for some cool air. We sat on the benches of the Pub in the courtyard but they didn't appreciate it unless you buy something.

Room Tip: No tips really for a short visit