“Budget and dated.”

Ranked #868 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Norwich
“Budget and dated.”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights which was plenty enough. The room was large enough to occupy 4 of us. It was clean but rather dated. Only 2 plug sockets. The put up bed was awfully hard. We were in a corner of the hotel so it was nice and quiet in the evening/night time. Huge, busy hotel in a good location.
Breakfast was basic. No brown bread, fresh fried eggs put out but the yolks had turned as were so rock hard. Think they were already cooked and waiting for ages out back. Very busy in the breakfast room as had to find a seat everyday.
Staff lovely. Vending machines in lobbies with drinks and snacks so very handy at night.
Would not bring my children here though.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NorfolkGirl77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here before leaving on a Contiki. It was kind of run down, the staff wasn't super helpful either. Has a very hostel vibe with multiple people in the room. The nice thing is that my roommates were friendly and it was close to the tube (though beware, Russell Square always had a crowd and though there are elevators, you have to take two flights of stairs to get to those elevators, so with bags, it was a nightmare). They did have a few shuttle service recommendations, so I did that to get back to Heathrow and it was well worth it. There was internet in the lobby for free, so expect a crowd, but the bar was fairly priced. DO NOT GET FISH AND CHIPS at the pub around the corner, they were awful!

Room Tip: Ask for something close to the elevators because this place is a maze.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SweetMelissa222
New Zealand
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Upon arrival at the hotel I was efficiently checked in by staff member "trainee". I was given my electronic door key, my free 3 course meal voucher which was offered to guests booking on line for stays of 2 nights or more, and also given a map of the layout of the hotel - almost essential as it's a very large complex. Upon arrival in my room, I was impressed at the cleanliness, the generous room size, lovely bathroom and large double bed, unfortunately although the hotel offers free wifi, it only works downstairs in the lobby.
I dined that evening in the hotel to utilise my free 3 course meal. Good food, generous portion servings (help yourself to salads etc) and delicious dessert. All free. After dinner I went to the lobby to use the wifi. The area was awash with people using the wifi so I parked myself in the lobby. No seats were available so I used the floor. Shortly thereafter, an elderly security officer came and tersely told me I couldn't stay there, indicating I should be "over there" where there was not a square inch of floor space available. The only thing he was missing was the tiny mustache and strange salute. I made it clear that I thought he was being ridiculously pedantic but I did move. When a guest started yelling profanities, I looked to the security officer to see how he would handle such offensive behaviour. He looked embarrassed and chose to ignore the loud black man.
The noise in the room overnight was overwhelming. The rooms need double glazing to dull the carnival like atmosphere from the courtyard downstairs. The room was also very warm with no means to cool it. Would I stay here again? In a word - NO!

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room overlooking the courtyard....the noise at night is extreme!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank MurrayRussell
asuncion
Reviewed 5 June 2014

If you don´t mind having a crowd around you and needing a map to get to you room ... (oh and the chaotic poor beakfast time)....then you can take this hotel :D Is well located. You can have a good walk or take the tube or buses outside the hotel. Also there´s a Hop on hop off bus running there. Wifi only works at the lobby, so you can see a lot of people sitting everywhere on the floor trying to get a signal :P There´s an Indian restaurant but avoid it and walk maybe 200 mts and you´ll find a very good one (ask the staff). Something that helps us tourists is a minimarket around, and fortunately this one has one just across the street.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tinyAsuncion
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel is very large and there was a constant stream of noisy groups. Though we were on the 6th floor we were regularly awoken from roudy noises from patrons at the bars below (there was a contiki tour headquaters joined to the building). Breakfast was akin to being herded like cattle into a chaotic surrounding among rude staff. Our continental breakfast consisted of bland cerial options and precooked cold toast. Despite these negatives, it was a convenient 10-15 minute walk to west end.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights in May The rooms are very nice and modern, very clean and with comfy beds. We had the full breakfast included in our price of £50 each per night each which in London I think that's a very good price. The breakfast was nice too. We did walk from kings cross with our cases but if you will be using the tube later the same day you may as well go to hotel via the tube if you don't want to walk with luggage etc. it took us about 20 mins to walk which is okay as long as everybody in your group is ok with pulling a case for that long. Russell square is just a two minute walk from hotel so it would be easier to just go there using that. ) it's only one stop from Kings cross) The hotel is in a good place for the tube and also quiet a few buses stop right outside. We were out until 3 am ( the tube station closes at around midnight) and a taxi wanted £23 to get us back but fortunately I asked a bus driver how to get back to Russell square and it was just 3 stops on one bus and two on another and that was covered by our tube fare you pay for the day. And it only took us about ten mins to get back. So didn't cost us anything. So don't go jumping in any taxis. Next time I'm in London I will be booking this hotel again as I was really pleased with it. It has got lots and lots of rooms, you do feel like its a bit of a game trying to find your room for the first time, you will see what I mean if you book there, You can also leave you luggage the day you arrive and the day you leave which means you get to enjoy full days without you luggage. Just opposite the tube station is a Tesco Extra which is also great if you want anything like drinks or food etc on the way to or from your room. I didn't use the swimming pool so can't comment on that, I didn't know it had one until I got home and was looking to book again.

Room Tip: I don't think it really matters. You have got traffic which ever side your room is.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Helen B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here 31st May, room was clean and tidy, lovely shower. Breakfast was just Ok, nothing special, you gave to pay extra for full English.
Booked online with no problems.
All went smoothly, would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple