“Not fit for Young Kids, Youth, Adults, nor Seniors”

Royal National Hotel
Ranked #874 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Just came back from a trip that I longed for, totally turned off by the Royal National. Room too hot, noisy, outdated, and smelly. Lousy breakfast, long line ups, starts at 7:00pm, not for people who has early flights.

Not fit for young kids - sink has two separate taps for hot and cold water, though with sign "caution hot water" posted. What if kids don't read?

Not fit for youth - wifi not as promised, The Cloud took me one hour to sign in, has to sign in again the next day.

Not fit for Adults - only one outlet found in the entire room. What if I need to charge my cell phone, iPad, camera battery, and computer at the same time? Another option: stay up all night to charge all your gadgets.

Not fit for seniors - bath tub too high and slippery, twin beds have wheels, all you need is sit on the bed, slip away, and fall. Bed too soft.

LOUSY SERVICE!!!!
Took me two hours to struggle with the payphone, when all I need is a 2-minute help from the staff to confirm my tour. Reason for not helping - "your tour is not booked through us, you have to call from the pay phone". All three Consierge staff were standing there doing nothing!
- First, I have no coins for the pay phone and I was asked to purchase a phone card, even though I was willing to make my local call from my room.
- Then the phone card did not work on local calls,
- Then I was sent upstairs to make my call.
- Then I was sent down by the operator to "register" at the reception before making calls.
- Then I went down and there were 50 people ahead of me at the reception.
- Then I have to call my agent in Canada to confirm for me, using that phone card I purchased.
- Then I have to call my agent again to confirm.
Mission done in 2 hours.

Fire those Consierge Staff who were on duty on June 24 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. please, if Royal National wants to survive.

Room Tip: Never, never, never choose this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Kathleen N

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel is cheap and if you are only interested in a reasonably clean place to sleep, it's OK. If you are looking for a place with something more than the bare essentials then don't stay here. There was a problem with the check-in which took some time to resolve and it was the fault of the staff, not me. There was a bath but no bath plug. I noticed someone else's hair clip on the floor in the corner of the bathroom The queue for breakfast was so long, I gave up and went out to a cafe to buy breakfast even though it had been included in the hotel price. I suppose I would stay here again if there was nowhere else available but it wouldn't be my first choice.

One thing in its favour is the central location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Christine2011
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We knew this was a budget hotel when we booked it and were happy with our choice. Great proximity for train station and getting around. Our rooms were very clean, new and serviced very well. We stayed in the south side which was quiet and we found all staff very helpful.A bargain!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janet292
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Dated, noisy, soul destroying. The hotel was booked for me by another company and I regret not changing it.
I tried to get lunch in the Italian on the grounds and having picked up a menu waited 25 minutes for the waiter before I left and headed to the local shopping centre.

There is a tiny bar of soap in the bathroom, no shampoo so bring your own,the breakfast is like something from a prison except I would expect prison food to be better. Do yourself a favour and have breakfast somewhere else, Brunswick S.C. is nearby

Surely it's possible to run a budget hotel better than this.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LittleIslander2014
Reviewed 25 June 2014

booked because only central hotel that offered a triple room and thought Superbreaks vetted decent hotels, wrong. Room clean enough but breakfast like a school canteen - not even a tea bag in sight just brown stewed sludge from a machine - went 1 day out of 3 and as for on site facilities -pub like a weatherspoons on a dreary bank holiday....not for the faint hearted. know to avoid Imperial Hotel Group if this was the quality. many for students - all in all like a school exhange trip - not a relaxing Super Break - theather however was very good.

Room Tip: dont go unless cost is your priority or your under 25
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The hotel is reasonably priced and very handy for Russell Square Tube Station. However, the decor looks very tired and dated. The corridors could do with a lick of paint to cover all the scuff marks! Our room, however, was clean and functional but very basic. The shower was old-fashioned and operated by using the bath taps.

Breakfast left a lot to be desired - if you had only paid for The Continental option, it looked like cereal, grapefruit, toast and jam were your only options. The machine-dispensed coffee and tea were stewed and barely drinkable. We had paid for English breakfast, which had slightly better offerings but the baked beans were obviously cheap - if you could find any in the sauce! The rest was okay to get you going for the day.

The actual breakfast dining area took me back to my school dinner hall! To be fair, I'm not sure how else they'd seat so many people so quickly. The staff seemed friendly enough, with the exception of one who wouldn't let us sit at the table he'd just cleaned and insisted we went elsewhere!

For a national hotel, online access was dreadful. If business is your thing or you need to stay in touch electronically, don't bother!

Would I stay here again? Probably not - I think I'd rather shell out a few more pounds to stay somewhere less impersonal and more up-to-date.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SueHR51
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

It's not the sort of hotel I would book (it's huge!) but this was booked by work.

Room size was ok, could do with a bit of updating. Shower was hot and quite good as long as you don't mind sharing with the shower curtain that attempts to stick to you, and is not quite long enough to stop the floor from getting soaked (no bath mat and limited towels - for a twin room with 2 occupants we got 1 towel each). There is no hair dryer in the room and you have to ask house keeping for one - they only have a limited supply and had none left when I asked.

Sheets were clean, but the mattresses have seen better days.

There is also no air con. Staying in London in June it can be hot and humid - your only option is to have the window open. Unfortunately as the hotel is on a very busy road sleep is not very easy (bring earplugs!)

I didn't attempt the breakfast as the hotel is massive and I didn't fancy my chances!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business