Royal National Hotel
US$308
US$285
Travelocity
8,523 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Just back from a two night stay in this hotel. Having read some reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. Anyhow the hotel was clean and friendly staff made the stay. We were amazed at the size of the hotel and we did need a map to get our way around for the first day but easy once you get the hang of it. We booked a full English breakfast which we had on the first morning, however I would stay away from the bacon as it was a bit tough but the rest was good. Second morning my mum and I simply ate the lovely bakery rolls, we could also have had cereal or toast. Mum would recommend the coffee and I the apple juice. The breakfast room is quite canteen style but mum and I survived it and didn't mind the number of people even though we don't like crowds. There may seem to be a shortage of pillows and towels but housekeeping are very efficient at supplying more when requested. All in all a clean hotel in a prime location ten minutes walk from the end of Oxford street.

Room Tip: We were on the seventh floor which meant we had a view of the sky and did not feel trapped in.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Crooksi
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is a huge hotel in a good central location. I stayed for two nights as an inexpensive accommodation solution to attend Wimbledon. The bathroom is tiny, but both it and the bed linen were clean. The bedroom was hot - I suspect it gathers heat all day, and there is no air conditioning. The lifts are efficient. Breakfast is served along student refectory lines which is daunting and a bit stressful, but does accommodate the large number of people. As a previous reviewed states - it does what it says on the tin. The clientele are mostly young, non-British people, maybe visiting London as part of their European tour, probably on a budget. If I were marketing this group of hotels I would bin the tagline 'A family welcome since 1837' and change it for something more apposite to the efficient, economy people processors the hotels actually are.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Had to stay for two nights as my usual hotel the Tavistock was fully booked. Rooms worse than Tavistock, breakfast complete joke, so many people, so much noise, like a school dining room. Only one pillow on the bed.

This is a massive kind of hostel, not a three star hotel. Do yourself a flavour and stay at the cheaper Tavistock next to the National and hope you get a good room.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Richard P
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have stayed here twice and would book again. Not recommended for a romantic break but if you want a value for money hotel in a nice area of London right on Russell square then this is ideal. Very busy hotel but bathroom and bedroom was clean....noise from extractor fans? Air con? went all night but could be blocked out by closing the window. Breakfast is confusing first time you go down but cafeteria style service and large choice.....basically eat as much as you like. Staff were pleasant and were constantly clearing the tables best they could. Prob best to wait till after 9am for breakfast to avoid the rush. Underground just over the road but possible to walk to central London from here.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool but can't get rid of the green dot!! Maybe ask for a room facing russell square.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dk22
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Words simply are inadequate to express the horror the single night stay we experienced at this (using the term very loosely) hotel.

We booked for three, survived one and moved as soon as we we're let out of our cells in the morning.

Very simply - it's the kind of place that makes me long for the hardships I endured during basic infantry training, only I seem to remember the army beds were more comfortable

The hotel is old, overloaded, apparently poorly maintained and the "family" room we were promised consisted of a room down a passage that looked like the set from the hotel in the Blues brothers that had three beds recovered from homes bombed during the wall and a fold out cot that I swear I saw an identical version in the torture section in the Tower of London.

If you are a student needing a place to crash on a trip this might be the place for you, otherwise avoid this place like a plague.

Stayed: July 2014