“Excellent stay”

Ranked #189 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Grosvenor in June for holiday on our first ever visit to London. Firstly, the location is fantastic (which was one of our key requirements), being right by Victoria Station - close to the underground, buses, and a short walk to major attractions.

We booked an executive room so were able to make use of the recently opened executive lounge (which was an unexpected bonus as when I had booked the lounge was not actually open). The service from the executive lounge, from check in to check out and in-between, was excellent (Ashleigh and Martina were particularly helpful). We were initially allocated a room without a view but upon request we were happily switched to a room with a view (at least, as much as the hotel offers). (I am sure a room without a view would be fine on business but being on holiday and staying for a few days we felt like being able to see something outside!)

The only downside with our stay was from the bar on the one visit we did have. The cocktail my partner ordered was sub-standard and did not include all of the ingredients we paid for (I cannot remember the name of the cocktail but it was meant to contain gold-leaf). It was perhaps a bit extravagant getting it in the first place but it was our last point on our Europe trip and decided to splash out; given the cost I would have thought more attention should have been paid.

Not a cheap hotel but an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Kelvin A,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review,

I was so pleased to read that we were able to help make your first trip to London a special one.

I have passed you kind comments on to my team with a special mention to Ashleigh and Martina.

I am sorry that your cocktail was disappointing in Reunion and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future when I would be delighted to make sure we have a Cora Pearl Cocktail (with gold leaf) waiting for you!

Michael Parker – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed at the Grosvenor the night before we headed off on the Orient Express to Venice. As the Express leaves from Victoria this suited us very well - but the location generally is well suited to London and its many attractions. We were also looking for a hotel that would meet similar expectations to the Orient Express. It is a lovely hotel and the quality is there to be enjoyed. We especially liked the cocktail bar which overlooks the station itself and where service was very good. On the downside we would warn people of the standard rooms, though very well fitted out they are extremely small. Getting into the room with your luggage is impossible - you sort of have to work your luggage ahead of you as you open the door. The walkway around the bed does not allow 2 people to pass - one has to stand back while the other person gets by. The bathroom has to be the smallest we have seen in a hotel of this standard.

Before going to the theatre we decided to eat in the Hotel's Brasserie (a simple one course meal). After having to ask for our order to be taken we informed the waiter that we would require a fast service to ensure getting to the theatre on time. After approx 20mins we enquired where our dinner was and we were told it would arrive soon. After a further 15mins we then complained to the head waiter. Simply what we are saying is that the service was very very poor - and they have the nerve to expect people to pay 12.5% service charge in a Brasserie. That said the head waiter was very apologetic and offered us a glass of wine which we had to decline as we had no time to enjoy it. They did remove the service charge at my request.

In summary this is a very nice hotel but we suffered very poor service for some reason (which looked as though it was down to some basic training) Finally make sure you book the larger rooms if you are staying more than one night.

Room Tip: The 'wing' rooms will give you a very sound sleep
2 Thank Alistair-Ngaire
Dear Beechburn,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review,

I was pleased to read that the location of the Hotel suited your needs.

Our standard rooms are from 20 to 25m2 but our Executive rooms do offer a more spacious 30m2 +, if you are visiting London again please feel free to drop me a note personally so we can arrange the best possible price for one of our larger rooms.

I have also passed your constructive feedback on to my Brasserie team regarding your dinner and they will address these.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and please feel free to drop me an e-mail if I can assist with any arrangements

My personal e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Central, Clean, comfortable and excellent staff.
Organisation of corporate function event – could not fault.
The beds were to die for, we just fell into the feathers of the mattress, pillows and clean Egyptian bed linen.
View – well what can I say - excellent location to watch the prosperous and legendary go by.
Can’t wait until the next time.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear Angela6067,

Thank you for your wonderful Tripadvisor review,

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive comments and I have shared this with my team.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

UK
Reviewed 27 August 2012

What a Fantastic Hotel!!!

From the moment we stepped into the hotel reception, I knew we were in for a treat, and I was not wrong. The foyer was stunning, the staff on reception welcoming and friendly, and Sonali who showed us to our room, (which was beautiful) was fabulous and she went above and beyond to ensure our stay was memorable.

My husband and I brought our 19 year old sons to London to visit my eldest sons tree at Richmond Park, so the day was special enough, but staying at this hotel made it even more so. The attention to detail to ensure we all had a fantastic stay was overwhelming.

The rooms are spacious, extremely clean and beds very comfortable.

I have had the opportunity to stay in a lot of hotels, and love coming to London. The Grosvenor Hotel is by far the most beautiful hotel we have stayed at.

The hotel is just around the corner from Victoria underground station, but if you are like us, and enjoy walking, the hotel is perfectly situated and central, with Buckingham Palace no more than five minutes walk away.

I will definitely return and stay at the GrosveHotel, and would reccomend this hotel to every one.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Barlee1969,

Thank you for your fantastic Tripadvisor review,

I was so pleased to read that we were able to make your visit special and we look forward to seeing you again soon

newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 27 August 2012

It can be a difficult job finding the right place to stay in London where many hotels are over priced and then do not meet the expectation of cost. You willnot find this in The Grosvernor Hotel. The staff are immediately attentive and helpful. As you walk through the door you are immediately blown away with the very ornate and impressive entrance but it does not end here. We had come for a short break with a busy City itineary. This was, without doubt, an excellent spot, with the underground service just around the corner. After a busy day to come back to the excellent room, upgraded double, was always a treat. The room was spacious and the bed was the most comfortable I had slept in for some time.
The only down side was the poor attention to detail in both the restaurant and The Brasserie. The staff were a wide range of cultures, many seemed new and they had no idea about british etiquette. Basic things that would help to improve this service are attention to tea/coffee refills and table service which checks you have the correct cutlery. Not impressed here but think the staff issue may change on a weekly basis. Otherwise I will definately look out for another deal at this hotel as it more than met all our requirements for a great stay in London.
Just a mention, if you are travelling by rail. Keep your tickets and go onto 'www.days out guide.co.uk'.You get loads of cheaper deals, many half price if you show your rail tickets. Print off trips selected as evidence before you go. We got into Tower of London for half price and there are many more deals. Have fun.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade deal.
Dear kathryn509,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review,

I was really pleased to read that your had an enjoyable trip to London.

Thank you also for the feedback regarding the Brasserie, my Restaurant Manager will use this with his training for the team this week.

Please feel free to keep an eye out for special offers on the Guoman website where we also always offer a best rate guarantee.

We look forward to seeing you soon

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Shared lunch and coffee mid week, post Olympics.
Very good service and the bacon roll was just the job !.
Very comfortable seating after a weary day.
Min order £20 but for this you do get very good value for money

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear justiceminister,

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to the Brasserie.

I was very pleased to read that we were able to ensure you had somewhere to relax with friends after a hectic day.

We hope to see you again soon.

Lincoln
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed at the Grosvenor for several nights as part of our honeymoon. It is a wonderful hotel and one of the best that I have ever stayed in.

From the outset when we planned our trip and contacted the hotel, nothing was too much trouble and without exception the staff were superb throughout. Our room was stunning; spacious, clean and with all the amenities you could want. The hotel even left us a bottle of wine and glasses with a lovely card to congratulate us on our marriage.

The hotel is right next to Victoria station and within easy walking distance of Westminster Bridge and the London Eye etc. If you fancy treating yourself in the hotel, try the Reunion Bar where they serve a mind boggling selection of champagnes and cocktails. Again, the staff there were first class; informal and very welcoming.

Would have liked to try the gym but time didn't allow for it.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I can only say that the room that we were allocated was superb.
1 Thank adamwhu
Dear adamwhu,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel following your Honeymoon stay.

It is always a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I have shared this with my team.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.