“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #184 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Kent
“Beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from a 1 night stay here. We managed to get the room for £89, which was great value for its location and during the Paralympics. It's right next to Victoria station so easy to get too, plus the lobby and bar are very beautifully decorated and clearly have history.

Didn't have dinner or breakfast so can't comment on the food.

Only slight gripe was that the pillows were too hard. But that is minuscule.

Lovely hotel with character

• Stayed August 2012
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear bowie_harrison,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review,

I was pleased to read that you had a great trip to London.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Michael Parker – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

We travelled to London by train arriving at the Hotel just after midday. What a pleasant experience as we entered the foyer, the reception staff were friendly and we checked in but were unable to have our room until later in the afternoon. When we returned, having left our luggage with the Concierge and visited Kensington Palace (excellent), we were given an Executive room which was very large, had a sitting area, desk, large screen tv, large bathroom, shower in the bath, quality shampoo, shower gel, bath salts, and body lotion. The towels were large and fluffy. Tea and coffee making facilities. We booked a table for dinner in a restaurant near the Albert Hall and the Prom was a fantastic experience. We didn't eat breakfast in the Hotel as we thought this was rather expensive - but we once again left our luggage and headed for the Royal Academy of Art to see a superb exhibition. We used the buses and our bus passes which was very easy. In all this is an beautiful hotel well situated for Victoria Station and the buses. A dream come true to go to the Proms and we stayed in a 5* Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear barbaraWiltshire,

Thank you for your great Tripadvisor review,

I was pleased to read that you had such a good trip to London and to the Proms.

We hope to see you again soon..

Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

OK, I will admit I am a bit of a train spotter. Love everything to do with stations, trains etc. I found this hotel fantastic. Steeped in history, this is one hotel worth staying in. It has been recently renovated and everything was immaculate.
There are plenty of 5 star hotels I have stayed in which don't deserve the 5th star.
This is one hotel which is classified as 4 star and I would actually say it is alot better then some of the 5 star establishments I have patronised and would deserve an extra one, certainly alot better then the Park Lane Sheraton where I stayed the week before.
Bar is lovely for cocktails etc. The only gripe, and it is a small one, is that hotel is so big that if your room is in the annexe it could take you five or ten minutes to reach it. I actually got lost in the place the first night, however, did not mind too much as I enjoyed wondering around taking in the atmosphere and looking at the old photographs adorning the walls.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bewlaybros
Dear bewlaybros,

Thank you for your fantastic Tripadvisor review,

It is always great to receive such feedback and I was also pleased to read that the history of the Hotel was of such interest.

The Annexe part of the Hotel was added on to the building in around 1910 with the Victoria station extension, as you mention these do take a bit of walking to but offer quieter rooms away from the busy Buckingham Palace Road (and of course the opportunity to explore the Hotel!)

Although the annexe rooms suited your needs for any guests with mobility difficulties my Guest Relations Team are always on hand to allocate rooms nearer reception.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

We spent a long (4 night) weekend at the Grosvenor and it was enhanced by the excellence of all the staff of the Hotel.Nothing was too much trouble --- smiles everywhere!! A noisy A/C fan in our room could not be rectified immediatly,so we were transferred to another (upgraded!!) room.We found the service in the Brasserie at both breakfast and dinner to be good.
The Concierge was extremely helpful.We hadn't booked to go to Buckingham Palace (no tickets were available on -line ), however the Concierge advised that 'returns' were sometimes available.Next morning at 9o/c he telephoned the Palace for us and within 2 minutes we were walking to the Palace (6 minutes) to collect tickets!!
We have stayed at The Grosvenor before (when it was a Thistle).,and it was looking its age. Now that it has been upgraded to the brand's Guoman standard the difference is amazing,and the building has been restored to it's former glory.With the added bonus of A/C and new bathrooms throughout.
The location is perfect with easy access to theatres,museums and mainline termini.
We would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank berpat177
Dear berpat177,

Thank you for your great Tripadvisor review,

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that my Concierge team were able to assist with tickets to the Palace.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Grosvenor in June for holiday on our first ever visit to London. Firstly, the location is fantastic (which was one of our key requirements), being right by Victoria Station - close to the underground, buses, and a short walk to major attractions.

We booked an executive room so were able to make use of the recently opened executive lounge (which was an unexpected bonus as when I had booked the lounge was not actually open). The service from the executive lounge, from check in to check out and in-between, was excellent (Ashleigh and Martina were particularly helpful). We were initially allocated a room without a view but upon request we were happily switched to a room with a view (at least, as much as the hotel offers). (I am sure a room without a view would be fine on business but being on holiday and staying for a few days we felt like being able to see something outside!)

The only downside with our stay was from the bar on the one visit we did have. The cocktail my partner ordered was sub-standard and did not include all of the ingredients we paid for (I cannot remember the name of the cocktail but it was meant to contain gold-leaf). It was perhaps a bit extravagant getting it in the first place but it was our last point on our Europe trip and decided to splash out; given the cost I would have thought more attention should have been paid.

Not a cheap hotel but an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Kelvin A,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review,

I was so pleased to read that we were able to help make your first trip to London a special one.

I have passed you kind comments on to my team with a special mention to Ashleigh and Martina.

I am sorry that your cocktail was disappointing in Reunion and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future when I would be delighted to make sure we have a Cora Pearl Cocktail (with gold leaf) waiting for you!

Belfast, Northern Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed at the Grosvenor the night before we headed off on the Orient Express to Venice. As the Express leaves from Victoria this suited us very well - but the location generally is well suited to London and its many attractions. We were also looking for a hotel that would meet similar expectations to the Orient Express. It is a lovely hotel and the quality is there to be enjoyed. We especially liked the cocktail bar which overlooks the station itself and where service was very good. On the downside we would warn people of the standard rooms, though very well fitted out they are extremely small. Getting into the room with your luggage is impossible - you sort of have to work your luggage ahead of you as you open the door. The walkway around the bed does not allow 2 people to pass - one has to stand back while the other person gets by. The bathroom has to be the smallest we have seen in a hotel of this standard.

Before going to the theatre we decided to eat in the Hotel's Brasserie (a simple one course meal). After having to ask for our order to be taken we informed the waiter that we would require a fast service to ensure getting to the theatre on time. After approx 20mins we enquired where our dinner was and we were told it would arrive soon. After a further 15mins we then complained to the head waiter. Simply what we are saying is that the service was very very poor - and they have the nerve to expect people to pay 12.5% service charge in a Brasserie. That said the head waiter was very apologetic and offered us a glass of wine which we had to decline as we had no time to enjoy it. They did remove the service charge at my request.

In summary this is a very nice hotel but we suffered very poor service for some reason (which looked as though it was down to some basic training) Finally make sure you book the larger rooms if you are staying more than one night.

Room Tip: The 'wing' rooms will give you a very sound sleep