“Convenient Location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #179 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Redondo Beach, California
“Convenient Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

I've stayed at the Grosvenor many times over the past 25 years. The location is great, but we had significant problems this time with cleanliness. The maid left dirty wash clothes on the floor 3 of the 5 days (including the day we moved in - which meant it was leftover from the prior resident - and it also meant they never cleaned the bathroom floor.) They also did not wash the pots or drinking glasses and failed to stock adequately and clean the tub. Also, the area is quite torn up still and all our familiar restaurants, grocercy stores, and online cafes are gone. You can get food in the train station but there do not seem to be a lot of nearby places to eat right now. I assume things will be different once the construction is completed, but I do not plan to stay there on my next trip to London in 2013.

Room Tip: The twin rooms in the annex overlooking the train station don't have a lot of room for large lug...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 2magical
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Dear 2magical,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review,

Please accept my apologies that we did not demonstrate our normally high levels of cleanliness during your stay.

I have discussed this with my Housekeeping team and our checking procedures have been reviewed.

I was pleased to read that you have been staying with us for the last 25 years and I do hope you will stay with again in the future, please feel free to contact me personally if I can assist in any way.

My e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

Michael Parker – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tavistock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

We picked this hotel principally because of its location, but also because comments made by others on Trip Advisor, and they were absolutely spot on. I'd upgraded to a deluxe double prior to our visit and would thoroughly recommend this as an option you should take. The staff could not have been more attentive from the moment we checked in, to the gifts for my wife in our room and the speed and efficiency when checking out.
We sampled both the breakfast buffet and the cocktail bar and would thoroughly recommend both, I have rarely seen so much choice offerred at a London hotel breakfast.
Only one very minor criticism, the pillows were too soft, would have preferred ones that gave a little more neck support.
Would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe room, the extra space is worth the additonal expense
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisBi220653
Dear ChrisBi220653,

Thank you for the superb review of the Grosvenor.

It’s always a pleasure to read such great feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel from 3 till 7 december to see London in Christmas atmosphere and to celebrate my birthday. Check-in was great and the receptionist, named Marta, was very kind and helpful. For a reasonable amount we could get an upgrade to an executive room, which was very nice, quiet, with enough space and with a view at Buckingham Palace. Housekeeping did good work. Very good in this hotel is the free wifi. If you love english breakfast there is enough for you to eat otherwise it is not so extended. We had afternoon tea in the lounge which was wonderful. Unfortunately there was no Christmas atmosphere in the lounge and in the Brasserie, but there was in the lobby with a big Christmas tree. Overall it is a very nice hotel with a great location and very helpful staff. Next time we stay in London we like to come back!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Lynn_Holland,

Thank you for your fantastic review.

I was so pleased that we were able to make your birthday stay memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

heanor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

A lovely hotel ,very friendly staff ,the welcome was very nice on arrival .We was on the 4th floor room 567,the double room was very comfy ,clean a little smallbut ok.Nice bathrooom with shower and bath lots of toileties.
Breakfast was really nice ,lots of choice from continetal to a very full english plus lots cereals andplenty of tea/coffee waiting staff very efficient and attentive.
The only complaint is they dont serve coffee late in the bars or didn't this weekend.But after a word with the head waiter at the brasserie we had coffee delivered to our room within 5 mins ,no charge !bonus

Room Tip: the room we had didn't have a very nice view we was over look the railway station,but wasn't...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear susiehutch,

Thank you for your great review of the Grosvenor

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Pflugerville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

Great location, near theater district, Victoria Station, dining. Rooms were smaller, but that's true in most older hotels. Fairly recently remodeled. Breakfast buffet wonderful and can be included in cost. Staff was quite friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Yvette S
Dear Yvette S,

Thank you for your review of the Grosvenor from your recent trip to London.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the UK.

doha
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

I stayed for a 2 nights weekend before my business trip dates and i paid a good amount of money for such hotel which i thought it was good , but actually it was not ! i have checked in a litterally ( A Tuna can room ) which i felt depressed , disappointed and angry once i stepped into it. when i expressed my deep frustration to reception that this room is ( inhuman ) , they tried to upsell me a bigger room for extra 70 Pounds which i rejected , and then a ( senior staff ) told me : Oh , you are going to be difficult , aren't you ?! .... WHAT ?!! what kind of hotel uses this kind of language with guests ?! after i ( bargained ) for paying extra to move to a livable room , my luggage arrived ( broken handed ) !

I had no interaction with staff during my stay , however , they made sure to make it special by asking me for extra amount for a late check out as i checked out at 12:30 PM !!! i held my self from bursting and asked for a compensation for breaking my bag as a counter defense !

I felt i have to be nasty to protect myself for the things and the way i am treated by the staff of this hotel . I will definitely not use this hotel again or even pass by the same street of this hotel.

Room Tip: You have to see the room first , otherwise you will be placed in a tuna can room.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank amr a
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Dear amr a,

I was most surprised to read your feedback.

Clearly it’s disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay and I was pleased that my Front Office Manager has been in touch with you

Workington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

This was a great hotel which is very central right above Victoria Station. One access to the hotel is within the station. Breakfast quite expensive at £20 but on booking in we were told as guests we could have it for £12. We had wing rooms which were quite small but very well equipped noisy through the day sometimes but no problems through night. The staff were most helpful. I would definitely use this hotel again if we get the same deal searched through trivago.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear Andrea B,

Thank you for your review of the Grosvenor, I was pleased to read that you had a good short break.

Don’t forget to keep an eye on our web site for your next trip where we offer a best rate guarantee.