“Great location, nice”

Ranked #182 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great location, nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Our two-night stay here was very comfortable and convenient. The room itself is a little small, but normal for European standards. The bed was comfortable, plenty of towels on a heated rack, robes provided. The lobby and our room were updated and tastefully decorated, though they've retained some of the charm of the old building.

We did not use wi-fi or any other amenities in the hotel, though they seemed to have everything you need to conduct business. There were multiple meeting rooms of various sizes, also tastefully decorated.

The hotel is right down the street from Buckingham Palace and right around the corner from Victoria Station underground and coach stations. The Palace is about a 10-minute walk away, and many other attractions such as the St. James Park, Royal Mews, Winston Churchill's War rooms, etc. Surprisingly, the location is on a very busy street but our stay was quiet. We didn't hear anything in the evenings.

The staff was incredibly helpful in holding our bags when we had a late departure, helped us with directions and provided a map of the city.

Breakfast was included but it leaves a bit to be desired. Some of it was fine but the hash browns were so hard one morning they were inedible They also tell you that they will provide toast, but don't wait for them to come around with it, you'll have to request it.

Overall, this was a perfect hotel for what we needed - close to Victoria Station and popular attractions.

1 Thank beach bum in ohio
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I am pleased your stay was comfortable and my team were incredibly helpful. We are really well situated here at Victoria with easy access to many of the wonderful sights that London has to offer. I was sorry to read of your breakfast experience which I will certainly look into. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards, Ian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Turin, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

I booked a prepaid stay at the Grosvenor for just one night at low price and with B&B treatment. I was travelling alone because it was a business trip. I was a bit scared by the comments on tripadvisor about the rooms (particularly the small single ones) and the staff. On the contrary, everything was really good. I arrived at 11 pm in the night, the guy at the reception was kind, rapid and helpful on everything. With my surprise, the room was a very nice and big queen double, equipped with everything (tea/coffee, complimentary water, iron etc.), modern and clean. The toiletries are exceptional. The bed was very comfortable. The room was at sixth floor overlooking the glass roof of Victoria Station, quite impressive but quiet. The staff was extremely nice, in the morning I was in a hurry but the lady at the reception made the check out, helped me to leave the luggage at the concierge and ask the doorman to call me a taxi in just 5 minutes! The position is great: there is a private access to Victoria station that is almost in front of the departures of the Gatwick express. The only minus: the breakfast. Definitely not at the level of the Brasserie (the hotel restaurant where breakfast is served), which I tried in the past for dinner and that was excellent. Overall, a great stay for a business trip to London.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the team to be so helpful. Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast I will certainly look into this. I hope to welcome you back in the near future, perhaps to enjoy a leisure stay, or once again when you are travelling on business.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

Perfect location near Victoria Station with Underground. Hotel staff is very helpful, breakfast is superb and the beds are very comfortable. Amazingly quiet for the location. Highly recommend on all levels!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your very kind post. I was thrilled to read that you would highly recommend us on all levels. I hope to welcome you back to stay with us again soon.

Annapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

We selected the Grosvenor for two reasons: access to Victoria Station and because it was a pick-up location for Premium Tours Sunrise tour to Stonehenge. What a great little central London gem. We opted for the delux king that came with access to the executive lounge. We found the lounge especially convenient. They serve breakfast, cocktails in the early evening, and tea, coffee, and other soft drinks all day. The door into Victoria Station is just across from Reception and that was extremely convenient for tourists. Get an oyster card and ride the Tube everywhere. Service at the hotel was excellent. Beds were so very comfortable - something we look for in a hotel given husband's on-and-off back pain. We will definitely stay here the next time we travel to London.

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your post. I was really pleased to read you found us convenient and our beds comfortable so you could have a good nights rest before your Stonehenge trip. We are ideally located for transport links to the many sights that London has to offer, definitely a top tip regarding the oyster card. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us in the near future.

Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Great experience. Been there in 2008, went back, the hotel has been remodeled to perfection since 2008. Will go back. Excellent size rooms, you do not feel your typical tight space in Europe. The only down side, too expensive.

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious based on our experience
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I was really pleased you came back to visit us once again and found our hotel remodelled to perfection. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

The stately hotel is down the street from Buckingham Palace and a longer walk to Westminster. The rooms were incredible, the staff very helpful as we were there to sight see and watch a soccer match. The food was very well done, as good as some restaurants in New York. When I go back to London I will stay at the Grosvenor again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your wonderful post. I was thrilled that you and your family enjoyed our stately hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the weekend of Trooping the Colour as my husband and daughter were attending. I wanted a room big enough for her to spend time with us and for them to change in comfort, so i booked a deluxe room which was excellent having a huge bed and the addition of a sofa and coffee table. She works in the immediate area and comes into Victoria and the location was superb.If one books a room at a hotel originally designed to serve Victorian and Edwardian railway travellers what does one expect but views over the station and announcements in the distance .?we had a room on the second floor wing at the back and it was well sound-proofed , the occasional distant tannoy being heard.
The hotel is elegant, the public areas quite dramatic and it is well refurbished: bed comfortable and and good quality bedding. The bathroom was clean and well appointed.
It is a large hotel and yes it was busy at breakfast but overall the numbers were well managed.
I found the staff helpful and friendly, check in and out was very speedy.
A word of warning though, we went to the lounge for coffee and cakes and thought the cost of cakes comparable to most cafes and thoroughly enjoyed both drinks and cakes , but we were a bit overwhelmed by the £25 bill; coffees at £4+ each and 12 1/2% service charge !

That apart, this a a lovely traditional hotel which provided us with all we wanted and more.
We will definitely come back .

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your post. I was delighted you and your family chose to stay with us for your special occasion. Our location is great for Buckingham Palace and many of the sights that London has to offer. We are really proud of our hotel and the facilities and I was pleased to read your room suited your needs and our team were helpful and friendly. I look forward to welcoming you all back to The Grosvenor in the near future.

Kind regards, ian