“First rate”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #185 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I remember this place from 20 years ago, when it was pretty run down and the food was dreadful. So I was a bit doubtful when my partner said she'd chosen it for a weekend stay (in part because of how the management responded to criticisms on this website).

Needless to say, my 20 year old impressions were totally misplaced, and it proved to be a great choice. Despite being in a very central, very busy part of London undergoing huge upheaval, the Grosvenor managed to be spruce, welcoming and surprisingly quiet.

As it was a family trip, we asked for and got adjoining rooms for ourselves and my elderly mum, and both were fine (455 was especially spacious for a double room). We had an evening meal and breakfast, and both were very good (the breakfast especially so - easily kept us going until mid-afternoon!).

Only slight complaint was with the showers, which proved hard to control, going from freezing to scalding without passing through ok - most likely because of pressure drops caused by other users. Talking to the (very friendly) desk staff I was told, however, that this was on the list of several improvements scheduled for the summer, when management changes, so clearly they're on top of this.

I hope the new management look after this place as well as the incumbents. It's a fine city hotel, with impressive decor and architecture, and something London can be proud of.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gerbilator
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your detailed, first rate post. We have recently invested £20 million to restore The Grosvenor to her former glory reflecting the golden age of travel, with a contemporary twist. I enjoyed reading your comments about the team and the hotel and will certainly pass them on. I’m sorry you found our showers hard to control, I will certainly look into this further. We do hope you will all come and stay with us again soon.

With kind regards, Ian

There are newer reviews for The Grosvenor Hotel

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed one night only and chose hotel based on proximity to Victoria Station -- access is IN the hotel down a short hallway off the lobby. The staff was wonderful, so we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tess J

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your fabulous post. We do have an ideal location here at Victoria, especially with our side entrance which takes you straight into the mainline station. My team and I hope to welcome you back soon, hopefully for a longer stay.

With kind regards, Ian

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I really can't say enough about the beautiful hotel, my husband and I always stay at this hotel, when in London on business which is about twice a month, Jamie and James who great you at the hotel are always very pleasant and the food in the steak restaurant is always very good. Overall it really is the only hotel to stay in when in London

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Being my first time in London, staying at this amazing hotel for 3 nights was a treat. The room was spacious and very comfortable. A full breakfast every morning...high five! Victoria station connected to hotel was a plus. Being close to all the sites and the Buckingham Palace was also a plus. What more could I ask for? Overall an excellent stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Raiden L
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post and choosing to stay with us on your first trip to London. I’m delighted to hear that you liked your room and enjoyed our breakfast. We are very lucky to have Victoria station and some great attractions so close to the hotel. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Great hotel at a great price. Perfectly located. The best stay I have had in London.

It allows perfect access to all of the main sights and the staff are absolutely excellent. We arrived early and were given a room so that we could drop out bags Nd go hit to enjoy the sights!

Definitely recommended

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank darrenconah

Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post, I was delighted to read that this was your best stay in London and our location was perfect. I hope that you’ll stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a weekend while in transit. Not a bad experience. Hardly saw hotel staff doing cleanings and stuff. Brrakfast was great but had to pay for omelette separately. Would love to stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Olakunle O

Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I was pleased you thought our breakfast was great and we look forward to welcoming you for a longer stay next time.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed 2 nights there last week - Sun/Mon, room 524 was excellent access from the station is brilliant too.
Only one complaint, I was paying with a debit card so the hotel took the whole bill and £100 as a deposit, a week after leaving it is still showing as a transaction pending on my account, so the Hotel has had in effect £1000 of my money (deposit and payment). I would have thought it easy for them to have cancelled it.

For that reason only I'm marking you down.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael C

Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post, we are ideally located here at Victoria with easy access to a variety of travel options for getting around London. I was sorry to read about the delay on refunding your deposit and we will certainly investigate this further for you. We hope to welcome you back to stay with us again soon.